Recovery time after c-section or vaginal birth...

That is sooooo nice to hear, thank you. I am drifting towards a planned c-section, what happens if you go into labour before the section date? Cos they plan them for 38 weeks usually don't they? I managed to hold on til 37 with Freya, but don't think I will last til 38 next time.

I had a planned c-section but ended up with a bloody show and contractions 2 days before the day the section was booked for.

So they done an "emergency elective section".... It was a very very relaxed emergency section - everything that would have happened during an elective section.

Mine was booked one day before my due date btw.

As for recovery time - Violet was born at 10.12pm and I was up and out of bed with cathetar out by 6pm the following day and home on the morning of day 3.

At home, I was on painkillers until the 3rd week but that's probably because I did not sit about doing nothing all day... I done what I usually done. Only things I couldn't do was get the trays out of the oven and carry the washing up/down stairs. Everything else I done as usual. By the second week though, I wasn't on painkillers every 4hrs, it was only as and when I needed them (which tended to be just before bed and first thing in morning because it was getting up from a lying position that hurt me!).

It took me about a month before I could walk completely normally though (standing up straight, for a long distance and at a 'normal' pace).

Had a vaginal delivery but there was nothing natural about it :cry:

I had 5 days worth of labour! owee. In the end they rushed her because they said she was in distress. My MW later told me she wasnt but basically they needed the room :dohh: I had a failed ventouse where they managed to turn her head so there was no way she could come out without more intervention. They then cut me straight back and used the forceps so cut me a fair bit. I recovered 3 weeks after birth. Sex still is quite uncomfy but its slowly getting better.

I've been offered a C-Section for next time, dunno if I'll take it yet :shrug: its a hard decision to make.

Twiglet, you sound in a similar situation to me. Considering you had forceps as well as ventouse (I just had ventouse) and were recovered 3 weeks later, I'll probably assume it was the many hours I had to wait before being stitched that made mine so bad. They said it could be this, but I found it hard to believe that that made it sooo much worse.

That is really awful about them telling you she was in distress and not meaning it, I can't believe they did that :nope:

:hugs:

I had an emergency section, under a general anaesthetic. It is considered that the recovery for this type of section is the worst of all. I can believe that!

For the first week I could barely walk, getting up out of bed was virtually impossible. Also, because I had had a cold, I had a terrible cough (made worse by the anaesthetic) and coughing is incredibly painful after a section. It took a month before I was looking less like an old lady when I moved and even at the 6 week point, where you are supposed to feel much better, I was still struggling. I was "lucky" that Abby was still in NNICU for those first weeks as I have no idea how I would have coped with all the lifting, fetching and carrying.

The advice is not to do anything strenuous for 12 weeks, and I built up to that point, doing gradually more and more. I also saw it as a great excuse not to do any housework! But if I had had another child to look after, it would have been really difficult. Certainly I couldn't have lifted a toddler.

Even now, 7 months on, I still get twinges and aches.

If you are having a straight forward elective section, you may well have an easier time of it but I just thought I'd let you hear the other side of it as reading this thread so far does make it seem like C-sections are a walk in the park and sometimes that isn't the case - even with an elective under local.

I am not able to drive for another week for insurance purposes which is very frustrating and the doctors recommend not doing any strenuos exercise fir 5months which is rubbish when u want to get rid of baby weight!!
Have you actually checked this with your insurance company? I called mine and they were surprised to hear the advice I'd been given. There isn't anything written in the policy which says "you are not insured to drive 6 weeks after surgery" and they said they wouldn't think that any insurance company would have this as their policy. It all comes down to your fitness to drive. They said to me, "as long as your doctor says you are fit to drive, that's fine." My doctor said, "as long as you feel fit to drive, that's fine"
You just have to feel confident that you could do an emergency stop.

Thanks for that Foogirl, I know some people who had horrendous c-sections and recoveries, so I was thinking some more would pop up in here soon! Yeah I have heard it is worse under general too. Not sure why though, is it just the difference in anaesthetic? I know generals are worse, but can't think why the recovery time would be so much different. Anyone know?

I think it has to do with the effect the anaesthetic has on your body. So you have to deal with that and getting rid of it as well as recovering from the operation. Plus, I had a lot of bruising internally and externally. I would suppose when they need to go in in such a hurry, they are probably less gentle than they might otherwise be.

hiya,i had eme3genc6 c section and am fine now-its been less than 3 weeks since birth and im off out partying tonigut.i was up and walkin and havin a bath the day of my surge4y and i was home on day 3.i will def ask for another next time,i think i recove4ed v w3ll and am almost down to pre preg weight already x

I had a natural birth but then got a 3rd degree tear because my son's hand was by his head when he came out :( It took me about 5 weeks to 100% recover (i.e. no more stiches or soreness at all) but i felt pretty good even the next day and had no problems walking. I was able to take long walks a week or two after my son was born and it only took me maybe a week before I could sit for long periods without soreness.

I had planned c section on 10th december because of breech. Was dreading it, but in reality was great! Look forward to the next one. Worst was the canular in wrist. That hurt the most. Like a lot on here I was up and mobile very quickly. First 24 hrs in bed due to catheter. As soon as that was out, I was up and sitting in chair, had shower, pulled off dressing - was all fine. Went home early on day 3 and stopped pain killers on day 5/6 as they cause constipation. Feel ready to drive now, but health visitor suggests waiting 4 weeks. Would highly recommend!

My three week recovery was with an infection as well so all in all not bad. They told me that my scar should just open up again for my next one...so fingers crossed.

I want a homebirth for my next / hospital with little intervention simply because of the interference and the way they were with me.

I had a section, and I DO NOT want another, ever. Ever ever ever. Because of this reason, I know that I can't have another child - at least not for now, not until I'm over the trauma that Tegan's birth caused me.

I was in labour for 18 hours and got to 9cm's when the docs decided I needed a c-section. I had an epidural beforehand (after 9 hours of labour and a LOT of pain) which conveniently stopped working when I was in theatre. I could feel every cut, and I felt sick, dizzy, faint, I told them it hurt but no one listened. By the time they took noticed I was crying and hysterical. I don't remember Tegan actually being born - I only remember the pain, and shaking, and not being able to move or have ANY pain relief afterwards for 36 hours. I had a major bleed when I was on the table and lost half of the blood in my body. I got an infection and needed a chest x-ray. Honestly, it was the worst thing I have ever been through.

Unluckily for me, I had no choice but to be on my feet and walking when Tegan was 3 days old, as she was in hospital until she was eight weeks old. I was back in hospital when she was 6 days though, I was so ill, with a headache so bad I couldn't stand up and I kept falling asleep/passing out sat in the chair beside Tegans bed. I spent a month on really really strong painkillers and antibiotics.

Honestly, I would choose a vaginal birth over a section, any day. It has caused me SO MUCH trauma, so many bad memories and I don't even remember my own daughters birth :( The first time I saw her, she was three days old.

And as for recovery time - my stomach still gets sore now. My scar healed well thankfully, but it bloody hurts sometimes. It was agony for the first six months - but thats because I didn't get to rest.

everyone is pretty much talking about the physical recovery from a c-section, which is really hard but what about the emotional cost? I had an emergency c-section and the physical pain was terrible, i cant really comment on recovery times as mine was only 11 days ago, but for me the emotional cost was the worst, not being the first to hold my daughter, unable to pick her up when she cried, not feeling like i really gave birth, unable to hold my daughter myself for a day, struggling with breast feeding, no skin to skin contact when she was first born, feeling like my body let me and her down, maybe its different if you plan a c-section but i have found the emotions hard to come to terms with... please consider that as well as the physical recovery

Hi, I had an emergency c-section after about 30 hours of labour as my lo wouldn't engage but my waters broke very early on. The operation was very daunting but nothing went wrong. I was in hospital for about two days afterwards and was up and about within a night once they'd removed the drips and cathetre. As long as you can move around afterwards the effects of the operation begin to wane quickly. Within a week I feel much better - I can do the washing up, pick lo up from her basket and easily get out of bed without hurting. The scar is still numb and will be for some time. Like a VB I get bleeding that will probabaly last a few weeks. My main problem is not being able to drive and sometimes holding lo one my knees bent up, if she kicks my belly it can hurt a little. Overall I would have to say the experience was okay - I didn't have a choice and had to endure labour as well as a c-section. I'm terrified of hospitals, needles, blood so it was a real trial for me but I got through it.

Having said that the whole experience was enough to make me think twice about having another one...

The emotional side was fine for me too, guess every experience is different. I got to hold my baby 20 mins after he was born and from that time i was breastfeeding and had him with me the entire time :)

everyone is pretty much talking about the physical recovery from a c-section, which is really hard but what about the emotional cost? I had an emergency c-section and the physical pain was terrible, i cant really comment on recovery times as mine was only 11 days ago, but for me the emotional cost was the worst, not being the first to hold my daughter, unable to pick her up when she cried, not feeling like i really gave birth, unable to hold my daughter myself for a day, struggling with breast feeding, no skin to skin contact when she was first born, feeling like my body let me and her down, maybe its different if you plan a c-section but i have found the emotions hard to come to terms with... please consider that as well as the physical recovery

Don't forget though, that these things can happen with vaginal birth too, I don't remember Freya being born, I wasn't the first to properly hold her, I couldn't pick her up out of the cot for 3 days, I struggled with breastfeeding. The reason I am considering a section is partly because of the physical trauma I had with the birth, but I still struggle with the emotional trauma it caused on a daily basis. I feel it affected how I felt towards Freya for the first few months, and completely ruined what should have been an amazing time for me.

I think a planned section must be a whole lot better than an emergency one, from what people have said in here.

I think by having a section I wouldn't feel like I had got the birth I want so badly, but it also wouldn't rule my life like this one has. I just want to be able to feel like I have a baby next time, and get on with enjoying the time after birth.

I had a crash c section (put to sleep)

6 weeks on and I find it painful to walk, The scar still hurts, Every pair of trousers rubs and causes pain, The tingling nerves above the scar hurt. I was in hospital for 5 days in total, I have never been in so much pain.

My normal vaginal birth was easy, very little pain. That was with an episiotamy and stitches. Back to normal with in a week.

My first labour I have a very bad episiotomy and very bad stitching, I was in pain for a long time, 2nd time round was a completely different story though and I felt really great even though I had a 2nd degree tear it was a whole different experience. xxx

I didn't have many emotional issues with mine, except that I felt awful that we never got that moment. You know the one where you're there with your husband (or partner) and you've just had a baby and the tears are flowing, such a happy time. I was really looking forward to that bit.

But of course, with a planned section under a local, you'd still get that.

My section was fine i dont feel bad about it or anything, my trauma was the long labour beforehand and the wa i was treated by the staff and other things went on, it was a relief when i got told it was now going to all be over by c-section, i was awake, didnt feel a thing (spinal) mum held her really close to me straight after and soon as i was back inthe room had skin to skin and fed her, if i ever have another ill be having a planned section!!

My section was fine i dont feel bad about it or anything, my trauma was the long labour beforehand and the wa i was treated by the staff and other things went on, it was a relief when i got told it was now going to all be over by c-section, i was awake, didnt feel a thing (spinal) mum held her really close to me straight after and soon as i was back inthe room had skin to skin and fed her, if i ever have another ill be having a planned section!!

ooh, I missed the fact you'd popped! Congratulations. Sorry to hear your experience wasn't good. I assume you were at Stirling? I had a fairly good experience there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->