red hair dye

1982emmac

mummy to two under two
Reaction score
i often dye my hair red but am not keen on the dye i use, it's one of the nutrisse ones, i have quite long hair and i have to use three packs to ensure ends are a good colour! anyone recommend a good dye? i want to try one of the mousses but when i used to dye it brown i tried one of the john freida mousses and wasnt that impressed. Thasnks!

This isnt gonna be very helpful but anyways

My hairdresser says never to use the live dyes. This is because tge dye contains something that "locks@ the colour in your hair. Which means you can only dye darker over it. Live is terrible and even hair stripper wont move it

^ This is right, Live dyes cause silcone damage - as soon as you put heat on your hair (like straightners) it causes the silcones to melt into the air. Ever since I found that out, I stopped using them.

I would suggest trying a mousse of some other brand. If its very red, top up with a semi permanent red (they stick better) like Directions/Manic Panic/Scream/Crazy Colours

oh my god ive logged on now and read your replies - thanks - but guess what i went out and bought yesterday - the live one! and i put it on last night arrrrgh! now i love the red colour but is my hair now wrecked? why did i not read this before i used it.........

It's not wrecked as such, it just means if you ever want to lighten to strip it out you're gonna have a very tough time. However I used to be a fan to XXL and I always got my way somehow :haha:

I really do recommend the semi permanent thing though, really brightens it up when it starts to go dull!

live is ok aslong as the colour you have your gonna stick with or go darker but if you go darker your then gonna be stuck darker - if you get me

if you wanna go light dont do it yourself it will go wrong

i know i put blonde xxl on and it went bright ginger which is how i know about lives being bad

Not much help regarding the original question but Colour B4 and a bottle of vosene has never failed in resolving my bad dye jobs or stripping deep bright colours - I've easily gone from pillarbox red to platinum blonde using this.:thumbup:

Colorb4 wont work unfortunatly - its something Scott Cornwall("creator") warns a lot of his customers

Wss. My hair dresser said they went on a course to learn how to work it and they put it on someone who had a live blode on and it dudnt change the colour at all

it's always worked for me, oh well.. guess I'm just lucky, which is a good thing for my poor tresses which has gone through a lot since I was 14 :haha:

Live XXL is a metallic dye that strips your hair of it's natural oils which protect the hair follicle and promotes hair growth. Be extremely careful now that you have already used it as your hair may be weak. You will be fine as you have only used the dye once but please don't use it again. If you want a bright red you would be safer bleaching at home with Jerome Russell bleaching kit and then using a natural red dye with no amonia, bleach or peroxide. Then use a good hand full of conditioner for dry and damaged hair! :flow:

Try these dyes https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LA-RICHE-DIRECTIONS-HAIR-DYE-COLOUR-choose-colour-FULL-SIZE-FREE-P-P-NEW-/110896400949?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Hair_Care_Hair_Colouring_Dyes_PP&var=&hash=item19d1f0ca35#ht_1512wt_907

Not very helpful, but when I was pillar box red I had to go and get it done at the hairdressers, I tried virtually all the OTC dyes and none gave me the effect I wanted. Downside is I had to get it redone every 6-8 weeks as it fades so fast, expensive! But I loved it!

I just recently dyed my hair red from black. I went to Sallys and got Loreal Majicontrast in red and used a 30 vol developer. Seeing as ur hairs already red u could use a lower vol developer, then i use Color Crazy Fire Red semi permanant to brighten up the colour when it fades. Also worth trying to invest in a good colour depositing shampoo and conditioner, I use fudge, u can get it from Sallys too :)

Oh my god i've just read this and im now worried as on monday i went from bleach blonde hair to red using a LIVE xxl colour mousse. Am i seriously gonna struggle getting it back to blonde? I got told to buy a good peroxide/bleach, which would make it go yellow/orange then use a SEMI-permanent ASH blonde, as apparently ash counteracts the brassy colour and turns it blonde. Whats so bad about the xxl stuff? :(

What i was told is the outside of hair is like fish scales. When you dye the scales open fill with the colour then close. Then when you dye over they open up again fill with the new colour then close

When you use live the scales are sorta locked so they cant open which stops you changing the inside colour

But you can go darker (i dont really understand this but hey ho)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->