Reduced fetal movement in late pregnancy??

Nov11_Mummy2b

Poppy-Mae's Mummy
Reaction score
Is it true that late in pregnancy you experience reduced fetal movement?
I will be 38 weeks tomorrow and ever since I began to feel movement I've paniced everyday about not feeling enough movement.
Anyways yesterday I didn't feel much movement but babys heartrate was fine on the doppler at 144bpm.
Today again I haven't felt much movement, but am also under suspicion that I may be in nesting mode as from the moment I opened my eyes today I began cleaning and de-cluttering the house to get ready for the baby.
Am such a worry wart and would like to know how true is it about movements reducing. Am dreading the movements reducing as I know that I will begin to worry loads, but if its a sign of labour being close maybe I could relax lol.
Experiences or opinions very welcome

I wouldn't say it is 'reduced' movement, it is just a different movement. Like you'll feel Jabs and Pokes as opposed to constant moving as bub can't really do much but extend an arm or leg here and there....hopefully that makes sense.

This late in pregnancy reduced fetal movement normally means impending labor.

Oh honey! I've just been searching posts for the same answers!!! :-(

I'm 39+1 and my bubba is usually VERY active - all day - morning - noon and night, was watching tv a few nights ago and the LO kicked the remote right off my belly!

I get woken up in the morning by movement and it's just lovely... I look forward to it... but yesterday evening, things just went quiet.

Went to bed and woke up for my standard 6 pees a night (usually woken up by full bladder AND movement) - but at about 4.30 I felt concerned I still hadn't felt anything... got out the doppler... heard (I think the heartbeat, but it sounded quite "whooshy" too and then I thought it was the placenta) so wasn't sure....

today, I've had maybe 10 slight movements as opposed to the usual, vigorous 50+...

I just don't know what to do... I'm low risk, have had healthy scans and measurements all pregnancy and just dont know what my best course of action is...

Hubby is asleep, its nearly 11pm, I can't sleep as I'm too worried.... what are you doing/ Have you called triage yet? What are you planning on doing?

Claire xx

I'm 39+1 and my bubba is usually VERY active - all day - morning - noon and night, was watching tv a few nights ago and the LO kicked the remote right off my belly!

I get woken up in the morning by movement and it's just lovely... I look forward to it... but yesterday evening, things just went quiet.

Went to bed and woke up for my standard 6 pees a night (usually woken up by full bladder AND movement) - but at about 4.30 I felt concerned I still hadn't felt anything... got out the doppler... heard (I think the heartbeat, but it sounded quite "whooshy" too and then I thought it was the placenta) so wasn't sure....

today, I've had maybe 10 slight movements as opposed to the usual, vigorous 50+...

I just don't know what to do... I'm low risk, have had healthy scans and measurements all pregnancy and just dont know what my best course of action is...

Hubby is asleep, its nearly 11pm, I can't sleep as I'm too worried.... what are you doing/ Have you called triage yet? What are you planning on doing?

Claire xx

Try again with your doppler hun, drink a fizzy drink, icy cold and lie on your left side. See if that causes movements., or even a hot bath.
I worry about even calling triage lol..
i've read loads of post on here about people going through the same thing and thats why I posted and asked.
If you don't feel movement within half hr, please call triage.
I can actually feel bub moving now but the movements just seem so delicate and gentle, not the usual thuds.
do you know position bubs is in to try and locate babys heart better??
xx

REALLY? I've not heard of this!!!! :nope: HOW SOON?!??!? :) x

Yes please share...HOW SOON??
I really want this baby in my arms now lol.. and I've tried everything to try and bring labour on!

anywhere from 24-72hrs on average, though do not get too excited, it can take longer! Just keep an eye out for the other signs, very loose poop, energy bursts, hormonal/emotional spats, aching lower back and thighs/hips.

REALLY? I've not heard of this!!!! :nope: HOW SOON?!??!? :) x

Yes please share...HOW SOON??
I really want this baby in my arms now lol.. and I've tried everything to try and bring labour on!

anywhere from 24-72hrs on average, though do not get too excited, it can take longer! Just keep an eye out for the other signs, very loose poop, energy bursts, hormonal/emotional spats, aching lower back and thighs/hips.

Well I had a really big energy spurt today and cleaned all the house aswell as get my room ready for baby, disinfected all the wood floors, hovoered everywhere, but thats about it for me..
I really don't want to go over which everyone keeps telling me I will do as its my 1st baby.

anywhere from 24-72hrs on average, though do not get too excited, it can take longer! Just keep an eye out for the other signs, very loose poop, energy bursts, hormonal/emotional spats, aching lower back and thighs/hips.[/QUOTE]

OMG
cried this morning at nothing...
cleaned the inside of the microwave... :wacko:
increased pressure in pelvis all day...

Still no poop though.... can't remember the last time THAT happened! :) xxx

Claire xx

Hi Claire

I'm a long time lurker on this site, haven't posted before but felt I couldn't ignore your post as I'm a midwife. Please, please ring the hospital now and go and get monitored. If your baby normally moves 50 times a day and you've only felt 10 today then that it not normal, listening with your doppler is not enough to reassure that all is well with baby, even I would struggle to hear the subtleties that would indicate all is not well with baby - you need to go in and have a CTG trace. Hopefully baby is just having a quiet day but I really wouldn't risk waiting to find out. As a midwife I would always prefer someone to come and get checked out and for it to be nothing, than for them to not want to bother anyone and the worse happen.

I'm sorry if I frighten you, I don't mean to.

x

In answer to the original posters question. No its not normal to get reduced movements, what is normal is for the nature of the movements to change. So you should get the same number of movements a day but you'll notice that those movements are more likely to be wiggles or small nudges as baby rapidly runs out of room, rather that the big kicks that you'd have felt a few weeks ago.

OK... went and found the heartbeat - was about 128 bpm.... that should be ok? No?

:flower: x

OK... went and found the heartbeat - was about 128 bpm.... that should be ok? No?

:flower: x

Just hearing the heart rate isn't enough to say all is well with baby - there are other things to look out for reassurance that would only show up with a CTG trace. Please give the hospital a call x

The reduced movement before labour is a myth girls, there should be no reduction of movement only a change in the strength/how they feel. Also listening into the heartbeat is good but you dont know what you are listening to in terms of changes, plus it needs to be over a prolonged period of time (usually 20-30 minutes) as then a healthcare professional can look for dips in heartbeat etc. If you have concerns please see your healthcare provider, being checked over is NEVER a waste or yours or their time :hugs:

The reduced movement before labour is a myth girls, there should be no reduction of movement only a change in the strength/how they feel. Also listening into the heartbeat is good but you dont know what you are listening to in terms of changes, plus it needs to be over a prolonged period of time (usually 20-30 minutes) as then a healthcare professional can look for dips in heartbeat etc. If you have concerns please see your healthcare provider, being checked over is NEVER a waste or yours or their time :hugs:

must be different medical codes in different countries :shrug: I was told that by several OB/GyNs and specialits lol.

dont use doppler to reassure you.if u have reduce fetal movements call up hospital/midwife,you should never ignore any change like that x

I was told reduced movement should always be checked out no matter how far on you are.

Hi

Just wondering if Burpy & Nov11_Mummytobe went to get checked out? Hope everything is ok?

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->