Reduced growth.

MadamRose

Mummy to 3 and WTT for #4
Reaction score
Anyone ever had reduced fundal height growth and everything been okay. I started measuring on the 50th centile then slowly went up to the next one, then I was above and measured 3 weeks ahead at 31 weeks. Now at 34 weeks I measure 35 and have gone back down to the top line. I’ve been refer for a scan as this counts a reduced growth. Midwife did say she though it was baby’s position but I’m panicking a little bit now as never had this with my other two children

Hey there! At my private scans (16w and 28w), the tech mentioned that she was concerned with one of the measurements and had asked me if my regular gyn had mentioned potentially having a small baby. They hadn't and even when I brought it up, they said those measurements can be off and dismissed me. I forget when my gyn started to note that my fundal height seemed a little off, but it was about the same time as you. 32w-ish, but I really don't recall. Just that I was definitely tri three. The last exam before I gave birth, she told me my baby was about 5lbs but not to panic because they grow x amount each week and I was probably still a few weeks from delivery. Well, joke was on everyone. I went into labor a couple of days later. My son was technically full term gestationally, but he was only 5 lbs 3 oz at birth and 18 in. I did have to give him the Neosure formula until he developed an intolerance to it. He grew super fast. People would never guess now that he was only 5 lbs at birth. I think by 15 months he was 60th percentile when he was born literally at 0.02 percentile. I was told that if I ever have another baby that I need to ask for additional growth scans though.

Hey there! At my private scans (16w and 28w), the tech mentioned that she was concerned with one of the measurements and had asked me if my regular gyn had mentioned potentially having a small baby. They hadn't and even when I brought it up, they said those measurements can be off and dismissed me. I forget when my gyn started to note that my fundal height seemed a little off, but it was about the same time as you. 32w-ish, but I really don't recall. Just that I was definitely tri three. The last exam before I gave birth, she told me my baby was about 5lbs but not to panic because they grow x amount each week and I was probably still a few weeks from delivery. Well, joke was on everyone. I went into labor a couple of days later. My son was technically full term gestationally, but he was only 5 lbs 3 oz at birth and 18 in. I did have to give him the Neosure formula until he developed an intolerance to it. He grew super fast. People would never guess now that he was only 5 lbs at birth. I think by 15 months he was 60th percentile when he was born literally at 0.02 percentile. I was told that if I ever have another baby that I need to ask for additional growth scans though.
Thanks normally I have big babies and I’m still measuring on the top centile line - just before this I was measuring above it

Hey lovely, with baby no.5 I had static growth from one appointment to the next. I was about 38 weeks pregnant. Growth scan the next day said baby was 8lb 13oz (my babies range from 8lb 2oz to 8lb 15oz) they got in a flap but I said I’d wait it out. He was 8lb 2oz. I’m sure all is ok but at least you’ll get to see bubs again.

Hi there!

Sometimes, I think fundal height is ... funny?
I was always under with both my kids. So, if I was 32 weeks, I'd measure 29.
My first was born at 37+2, and he weighted 5lbs 13oz, so you'd think the measuring was correct.

Except my second was born at 37+1 and he weighed close to 8lbs (which doesn't seem that big, but considering the 37 weeks birth, IT IS, haha!) And yet, I was always SUPER behind on fundal height. Same as my first. Always 2-3 behind.

They did a scan for both, all was well.
(They actually estimated DS1 to be bigger than he was).

Both were born number one, short stays, no issues! And my first honestly, he was born 1st percentile in height and weight, and he's now 45th in weight and 60th in height! And he's much taller and bigger than his brother who was born heavier and longer haha! (if I compare at same age)

If the growth has suddenly changed, it could just be an off measurement. I would request a growth scan though. The big concern with my son was that my placenta had detached and starting to calcify. I was told that if I didn't end up going into labor when I did, things could have ended in a very different way. I don't mean to alarm you, but I'm the type who would rather get a scan and know nothing is wrong than sit around and wonder. And, quite frankly, if your baby's growth has slowed then there should be some sort of monitoring plan moving forward until delivery.

Fundal height can be very inaccurate. When I was around 34 weeks my midwife sent me straight for a scan and said that the baby hadn't grown for three weeks. I was so worried. The scan showed baby was completely fine and growing. It's a really inaccurate method of measuring and baby's position can throw it off too.

If the growth has suddenly changed, it could just be an off measurement. I would request a growth scan though. The big concern with my son was that my placenta had detached and starting to calcify. I was told that if I didn't end up going into labor when I did, things could have ended in a very different way. I don't mean to alarm you, but I'm the type who would rather get a scan and know nothing is wrong than sit around and wonder. And, quite frankly, if your baby's growth has slowed then there should be some sort of monitoring plan moving forward until delivery.
I’ve been sent for a scan on Friday. Midwife didn’t seem very concerned as she said manny was in an awkward position but said it was still best to send me.

Perfect! That’s really awesome that your midwife is covering all the bases. Good to know that your care team cares and is being thorough! Fxed it was just an off measurement that day from the positioning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->