Reflux medication - where do we go from here?

LJaydow

Jack, Elizabeth
Reaction score
Well, as some of you will know - Jacks got reflux and has been on medication since late April.

A few days ago the meds got put up again to:

- 10ml daily Omeprazole
- 3ml x 4 daily Domperidone

Apparently he is on the maximum dose of Omeprazole now, we cannot increase it any more. I asked about Ranitidine, but was told that it is not as strong or as good as the Omeprazole.

We brought some Carobel today, and I'll be using that instead of the Gavsicon. I just want to get him off of one of the medications, he seems so young to be dosed up to the eyeballs with stuff.

I feel so deflated. Its only been a day or two after the medication increase, but he is still burping up acid and screaming in pain. If he is on the maximum dose now, if it doesnt help, were do we go from here?

I feel on edge over him. The movement monitor went off last night - dont know if he is holding his breath or what, but it went off. He was coughing a lot too :(

Whats the next move for him?

:nope:

Oh hun, so sorry it is not working for you. My DD is currently on 2.5mg of omeprazol, gaviscon (per feed) and carobel (per feed). She is now 17 weeks and am considering starting to wean. We have an appoinment with the GP this thursday as Jessica's meds are not working as well as they used to... will see what the doc says. Just to let you know, it took a good week or so for Jessica's medication to kick in so I wouldn't be disheartened just yet.

awww wow. My 5th son used Ranitidine and we had no problems with it. I guess the dr feels the meds your lo is on is good enough. I have no advice for reflux, but hope it passes soon.

:hugs: I can't remember if you're under the care of a paediatrician or just a GP. How long has Jack been on neocate? I found that after Holly had been on Nutramigen AA for a month her reflux got better. She started to scream whenever we gave her ranitidine, so I stopped it and she's been fine ever since. Omeprazole's quite a strong med, maybe it doesn't suit him? Did they not try him on ranitidine first? Thats the usual route. Or perhaps he'd be better with it in a different form like losec, which are tablets rather than liquid? Also some LOs don't agree with domperidone. Maybe he just needs a different combination to see what works best for him. Ideally the pain should be gone, and any puking is just a nuisance rather than anything else. Hope you find a combination that works soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->