Refusing bottle

Kandidancer

Reaction score
I've bf Darcie for 11 weeks now, at first she would take a bottle of breast milk i offered it every other day. For the last 10 days she screams whenever anyone tried feeding her from a bottle. The screams are horrid really high pitched and she has loads of tears. Then I give up and put her on my boob and she's fine.
It's started to worry me now, as I'm trying to get back to the gym so FIL will have her for a couple of hrs once a week. And for Xmas I got a spa day so she will obviously need feeding when I go there as I will be gone all day. I posted in baby club and they said to persevere but it's getting quite distressing now for me xx:hugs:

I too had that problem with Ds3, and 4. Neither of them would take the bottle. I just had to figure out things to do with them that I could still do with them around me. If you do have to go out with out your LO they will take the bottle eventually with someone else. I don't blame her the boob is so much more comforting than a cold and unpersonal bottle. You will figure out what works for you!! It just may take some time and patience is all.

I think a lot of BF babies go through a bottle strike around 2-3 months. Our LO refused the bottle for about 2 weeks. It's likely a phase, just keep offering and she'll take to it again.

I think a lot of BF babies go through a bottle strike around 2-3 months. Our LO refused the bottle for about 2 weeks. It's likely a phase, just keep offering and she'll take to it again.

I really hope she does xx:hugs:

I'm having the same issues. In the early days I alternated between breast and bottle because she had tongue tie and my nipples needed a break. She chopped and changed between the two like a champ. Then she got her tongue tied and I fed exclusively from the breast for about 4 weeeks then 2 weeks ago i reintroduced the bottle so daddy can feed her occasionally and she will not have it. She just plays with it and smiles or cries until I gave her the boob. I have tried 4 different bottles. Sometimes she will take about 20-30 mls and then refuse the rest. I'm not planning on going any where without her any time soon but it wold be nice to have the option. I have been trying every day for 2 weeks and have upped it to twice a day just so she can get used to the feel of it but she doesn't want to know. She won't take a dummy either. She uses me for that also lol.

My LO used to take a bottle fine, he will generally still try for a bit and then cry, but he also struggles to drink from them now and as he sucks out milk he pushes what is in his mouth out of the sides x

We had this, took a bottle when wee but as she got bigger nope. She will take a bottle now - never enthusiastically but she tolerates it.

We found nuk bottles with a silicone teat the only bottle she will use. Daddy also does it and often he goes to his parents to do it as if she knows I am not available she is a lot more cooperative. If she knows I'm about she strikes until boob is given.

Don't give up. I would only offer 1oz a time so if it was refused I wasn't wasting my milk. We also never stressed her with it as I didn't want her to think bottle meant being unhappy.

I managed to get her to take 2oz this morning. I waited until she was hungry (hadn't fed for 2 hrs) but not so hungry that she was upset. Then I fed it to her with her facing away from me instead of towards me. I'm wondrring if she wasn't really hungry when ive tried to offer the botle before and was instead wanting the breast for comfort as it seems she won't take a bottle when tired

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->