Refusing cows milk at 1 year

Pink Petals

Reaction score
I have been back to work for 2 weeks and LO is refusing cows milk from cup, sippy or bottle. He will sometimes take a sip from a cup, but immediately spits out. He does this with expressed milk as well.

The result is that LO has no milk of any kind from morning to night (We are still nursing morning and night). He is waking very frequently atnight, trying to make up for missed milk I think and I am so, so tired all the time.

What should I do?

Also worried about nutrition...

How many times a day is he feeding? Is it possible express enough for him to have milk once during the day while.you are away? Then if you fed morning and night that is enough not to have to give other milks. He may still want to nurse overnight though more for comfort than nutrition, some people do night wean but that doesn't necessarily mean he will stop waking unfortunately :(

Cows milk is actually not very healthy for humans and not all cultures give their children milk of other animals. You can give him chewable vitamins and calcium supplements or a drink like Ensure for nutrition. Would he take milk mixed with Ovaltine?

He won't take expressed milk at all from anything. The only thing he drinks other than milk right from the breast is water from an open cup.

But even if he did, I would like him to take cows milk during the day, because that is what the daycare offers and it takes me hours to pump just one container. Not sure I could keep up with it on a teachers schedule. :nope:

Do I need to worry about him not having any milk for that many hours? It's like 10 hours!

Will he take expressed from a bottle? We gradually mixed more cows milk into her bottle until it was 100% cows milk amd this did the trick!

https://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/toddler-foods/#cowmilk
If he's breastfeeding 3-4 times per 24 hours it is fine to go all day without milk. As a pp said cow milk is not necessary at all so if it was me I wouldn't bother trying to push it and just offer water :)

Have you tried warming to milk to body temp? It may be he like the warmth of your breastmilk

DD1 is 19 months and won't touch cow's milk unless it's warm... How about almond beverage? Some are calcium and vitamin D fortified. The regular one doesn't have too much sugar in it.Other than that does he eat yogurt and cheese?

Thanks! No, he won't take the bottle of expressed milk and as for cheese and yogurt, he does eat some.

He does nurse at least 4 times at night, if not more, so maybe he is ok? :shrug: We have a Dr appt soon, so maybe I will run it by the doctor just to be sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->