• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

refusing induction?

I don't get why they insist on offering an epi straight away. I really don't. Luckily my hospital are quite reluctant to give them anyway so was never offered. I did ask at one point during the labour with Oscar but by then it was too late.

I obviously have no basis for comparison as I have only ever been induced so I'm not sure what the pain of an induction is like versus the pain of a natural onset labour.

TommyG why do they want to induce you at 40 weeks? Medical reasons? If not, you are well within your rights to say no thank you.

I've had two inductions, one natural. The pain is no different imo. What was different for me was I went into hospital in established labour for my natural so was offered gas and air straight away. My inductions I was left on the ward and only had paracetamol despite insisting I needed something else (they thought I wasn't in labour as it was 'too quick'). I would never refuse induction, my Third baby it wasn't a concrete reason at all and in hindsight wasn't necessary but I would do It again. Good luck

I've no clue smiley. They say things like you will need it and similar. Their favourite one when I was having Orion was that they've never seen anyone have an induction without any pain killers. It gets inside women's head and it makes them believe that they can't do it, they might not mean that it happen but it's why language to pregnant women is so important.

For me induction with pessary or gel was the same as spontaneous labour but with a drip was far more intense.

Yes mine were pessaries I've never had the drip

I've had one with a pessary and one with a drip. I didn't find them.any different, both equally as painful :shrug:

Declined sweep today, will have one either Thursday or Friday I expect. Midwife is also going to confirm plan for additional monitoring if no arrival by Saturday.

Still hoping things will start, still a bit niggly with back and plug gone.

The reasons given for not wanting me to go over 40 weeks are my age 41 & IVF baby.
The reason for IVF isn't age related my AMH (ovarian reserve) was off the scale but that is what happens when you don't ovulate on a monthy basis.

I did have a sweep the last time and probably will again. My logic with a sweep is if your aren't ready to go into labour it won't work.

I don't think it is wise to refuse if it has gone beyond 42 weeks.

Tasha, I'm guessing that I am forgetting that their could be a risk to baby going over my date. Sorry about what happened to Honey, hugs xx. I was in the "won't happen to me camp".

I have yet to hear of anybody having a good induction story. I've heard long painful labours involving epidural's, forceps, emergency sections, and the opposite end of the scale baby almost being delivered in a bathroom, midwives opened the door and go mum onto a bed with the head already out - not even a curtain for privacy.

But I guess any delivery is a success as long as you both go home and make full recovery at the end of it.

Here's your positive induction story 😊
I was induced on my due date due to gestational hypertension. I had a sweep done early afternoon as i was already 2cm dialated and fully effaced. Then around 7:30pm they broke my waters. Around 8pm, started the oxytocin. Hubby and I were watching Guardians of the Galaxy, got about halfway through the movie when i turned it off because my contractions were getting stronger. I laboured without pain relief until about 10pm, which is when I started pushing. Took an hour to push him out, but thats normal for a first birth from what i hear. I only had a very minor grade 1 tear, didn't require any stitches. My boy was very healthy, and we went home 12 hours later once my blood pressure had returned to normal and the hypertension had resolved.

Not all inductions go wrong. Personally, though I'd love to go into labour on my own this time, I won't refuse it if its deemed necessary. I also wont refuse it if they offer due to going over my due date. I know a lady who was over her due date, and the baby died the day before her induction. Also, my mother was induced with all four of us, as she just didn't go into labour on her own. Not sure with my brothers, but i was born with very little water left in the sack, none of that white creamy stuff was left on my skin and i was very pink and wrinkled - mum said I looked over cooked lol. All things which can happen at any time i know, but i personally wouldn't risk it, as i really dont think induction is all bad.
But each to their own. Best of luck with all your births 😊

I was induced due to GD and also had a great experience. Pessary inserted and I hung around the hospital for 24 hrs on the ward, snoozing, wandering around, taking walks around the grounds, eating and so on. Next day they checked and were able to break my waters. 4 and a half hrs later I asked for gas n air as the contractions were getting really strong and about 10 mins later I told the midwife I needed to push, I was still upright and pacing round the bed at this point, no wires or forced bed bound or anything.

She checked and I was fully dilated so I was moved to the delivery room, 3 pushes later I had my beautiful 8lb 11oz little angel in my arms.

I found the pain to actually be less than I expected, I thought I'd be screaming the place down in agony but other than the last 10-15 mins when I had a little gas n air I had no pain relief and was able to just walk through the contractions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->