Refusing induction...

GeorgeyGal

Reaction score
Im (only) 41 weeks today and my midwife has booked me in for induction next weds when ill be 42 weeks, i said i wanted to wait and be monitored instead but she said she had to book me in, and the hospital will call me with a time. Then she said well thats your last appointment with me... So to decline this as the message obviously didnt get through do i wait to speak with the hospital when they call me and say i want to be monitored instead or call the surgery and ask my midwife to call me to say i have declined the induction? So confused now feels like i have no midwife now.. whats next and can someone please explain the process if they have been through it so i know what to expect and who to talk to. :cry:

I would ring the hospital and say you're declining an induction and would like to arrange to come in for monitoring too. Be prepared for them to try and change your mind though. They do like to quote scary statistics at you! Mine had me sign a piece of paper saying that I had declined interventions and I was aware of the risks.
HTH
Ceri xx

You are STILL under the duty of care of your MW!
I hope you have her mobile number. Please call her and say that although you appreciate that you have booked an appointment for induction you reject it and expect continued care form her.
She might tell you that induction appintments are difficult to arrange at short notice, (Which is rubbish) and she was only trying to do this for you to offer you options in-case you changed your mind (fair enough), and inform her that you currently decline this intervention.
Do NOT accept this is the last of her care towards you, (she has a leagl duty uner the NMC rules). She can not leave you to arrange your own care from now on!
XxX

One of my recent clients refused induction and the hospital were pretty supportive. She arranged to go in and they had a consultant speak to her but they were arms with the facts and so the consultant really couldn't do anything other than accept that it was their right to refuse and to go with expectant management with daily monitoring. That went absolutely fine and they were never pressured in any way until they went for their daily monitoring on a saturday and met different staff who had forgotten to plug in their sensitivity chips.... They had a shit appointment with the 'dead baby card' pulled on them but we pulled it round as they'd been expecting it a lot sooner and she laboured spontaneously that night anyway.

Oh and just to add they didn't see their community mw again though after that point.

I feel better already! Just managed to get hold of my midwife who is going to refer me to a consultant at the hospital, after I asked her to. Funny, she was very, erm Im not sure how this works.. and oh we must have had crossed wires during your appointment. Erm no I did make myself clear, I was basically told I didnt have a choice! Hopefully the cons will be supportive. At least it bides me some time. Its really awful how under pressure we are made to feel when we're not even post term grrrrr make me angy!

I'm facing this too, although my MW is still having phone appointments with me and possibly a homevisit on Tues.
She's still pro-hb but has started dropping phrases like 'dangerous' and 'putting the baby first' and 'live birth' as soon as I mentioned monitoring versus induction. And she still put about booking me for 'induction' in her diary like it was already bloody decided!!!

Grrrr....

Mine tried to book me for induction at my 40 week appointment with me sitting right there and she didnt even bother to ask me, luckily she couldnt get hold of anyone at the hospital!

Anyway, I'm due to go for CTG monitoring at the hospital on Monday to make sure bubs is healthy to stay put for now, I feel alot of the pressure has lifted now! My midwife didnt try and scare me as such, she did mention there's a risk of the placenta failing (which is why I want to be monitored). But she did make it seem like I didnt have a choice. I just said to her a day later after I had figured out how to approach it, 'I should have made myself more clear but I would like to postpone induction at this time and be monitored instead' If she had tried to fight me on it I would just have referred to the NICE guidelines as they have to be flexible and listen to the mother, they can only advise not tell you what to do. Good luck and hopefully we'll have our bubs beforehand anyway.

Just on a seperate note, just for fun I did an EDD calculator online and it came out as 10 April as my cycles are more like 40 days than 28 days! So bubs could still be premature anyway not late at all!

How did you get on - did you wait and then go into labour naturally as you wanted :)

Hi, Theres a bit of my birth story on my 42 weeks over thread in this section, the one that says 'update pic'. To cut a long story short I was induced at 18 days over, after 20 hours he wasnt budging as found out he was back to back at the pushing stage so ended up with a c section, it was all positive though and baby Jeremiah is healthy and very happy x:baby:

Well done GG you did things your way and having laboured makes things all the better.

Happy babymoon Hun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->