Refusing to eat anything off a spoon

caggimedicine

Mummy to Harry
Reaction score
What am I meant to do?!!! I've been giving Harry a mixture of purees and finger foods for quite some time now. I've always noticed that he prefers finger foods and to feed himself, but all he tends to do is suck the life out of things and to be honest, not a lot actually gets eaten so he still ends up hungry and this is where the purees have come in. So - an example of this would be breakfast.... i'll spoon feed Harry porridge with some fruit puree mixed in, but give him some toast/buttered crumpet and half a banana as finger food.

However, Harry is now completely refusing anything from a spoon, clamping his mouth shut and turning his face away when I head towards him with the spoon. The only way I can get anything into him is when he opens his mouth to put the finger food in - I have to swoop in sneakily with the spoon - he doesn't seem to realise what's going on, but wonders how he's ended up with porridge instead of crumpet!! But I can't go on like this - it's completely inpractical. So what can I do? He's hungry after sitting for ages in the high chair feeding himself, but won't eat purees. I've tried giving him a spoon with the bowl but all that happens is he sits for ages sucking/cholking on the spoon, whilst smashing the bowl and contents around and over the edge of the high chair. Also I don't always have that much time - particularly in the mornings, because we're all on quite tight time limits to get ready and out to work/nursery. We already get up at 5.30am!

Any advice/help would be much appreciated!!

sometimes I load up the spoon and hand it to Finn and he feeds himself it, other times I dunk the finger food in the puree and he eats it that way. But he does let me spoon feed him too, depends on his mood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->