Regarding bottles & sippy cups!! I need helppp!!

wantababybump

Reaction score
The little boy I babysit is 16mos. He is still drinking from a bottle and his mom wants to get him used to a sippy so I have to try also, problem is whenever I give him the sippy it's almost like he doesnt swallow it and it all comes drooling back out his mouth. Its an awful mess and I have no idea what to do. He thinks its absolutly HILARIOUS! :dohh: NOWWW when I give him a bottle he figured out he can push the nipple inside so he is constantly doing that and even had it so far in the bottle today that he almost pushed it right inside and had the milk spill out. If I give him the bottle he puts it inside, if I give him the sippy he spits it all back out, I just cant win. Im hoping you ladies may have some hints or tricks. I talked to his mom about it and she even said at home he isnt using the sippy properly and I told her about his new trick with the bottles but she has no idea what to do either.

Also, Im having a problem with him eating. We have a booster seat that you buckle to a chair. I have to keep him in the kitchen as in our dining area there is carpet :dohh: stupidest place for carpet IMO but he now rocks the chair back and forth and Im extremely scared he is going to flip it over and REALLY hurt himself. My heart starts pounding every single time. He also is taking some of his food and swiping it onto the floor. (Hence the reason I cant put him in the diningroom on the carpet where he wouldnt be able to rock it) He likes the food because some days he will eat it without doing that and other days he wont. Even if I raise my voice a bit and tell him NO thats not nice to throw food etc and take the tray he laughs and thinks its a huge game. I know at this age they are experimenting with food and love to play in it but my floors are filthy disgusting because of it and I just cant think of anymore ways to keep him from doing this. Right now I take the tray away (not nice blah blah blah) then I wait a few minutes (in the mean time he is rocking the chair scaring me to death) then I will give it back and tell him to eat his lunch/snack and he swipes it all back on the floor. I usually do it once more and then I tell him he is all done if he does it again, clean him up and put him in the playpen for a few minutes. I just dont know what to do. Obviously he isnt hungry at times when he does it but other times its just fun for him. Any advice would be great im sooooo lost!! :dohh:

Hey hun, about the sippy cup, I might recommend telling the mom about BornFree sippy cups.. I dunno if you are using a hard or soft spout with him, but Erica has a really tough time with hard spout, and she uses the BornFree really well. They are not as soft as a bottle nipple, but not hard plastic.. Good luck!! :hugs:

It seems like she waited a bit too long to transition him onto the sippy cup:!:
So it is obviously a bit more difficult, maybe if you take the bottle away cold turkey, and soon he will know that the only way he will get his drinks is if he uses his sippy. It sounds harsh, but the boy is going to get thirsty, and he will stop spitting out his drink, he will likely be crabby for a while, but having waited this long to do the transition, it seems to me like this will be the only thing that will work. Also, about throwing the food on the floor, it is actually pretty normal for a toddler his age to do this...and think it is funny, I think it is just a stage they go through, and I don't think that there is anything you can do but keep saying no, and don't give him anymore food after he is done making a mess. (for that meal I mean) I could be wrong about that though, lol I'll soon need to go to parenting classes for mom's with toddlers so I will know how to deal :rofl:

So it is obviously a bit more difficult, maybe if you take the bottle away cold turkey, and soon he will know that the only way he will get his drinks is if he uses his sippy. It sounds harsh, but the boy is going to get thirsty, and he will stop spitting out his drink, he will likely be crabby for a while, but having waited this long to do the transition, it seems to me like this will be the only thing that will work. Also, about throwing the food on the floor, it is actually pretty normal for a toddler his age to do this...and think it is funny, I think it is just a stage they go through, and I don't think that there is anything you can do but keep saying no, and don't give him anymore food after he is done making a mess. (for that meal I mean) I could be wrong about that though, lol I'll soon need to go to parenting classes for mom's with toddlers so I will know how to deal :rofl:

Ya, its definitely a stage and normal in their development. I learned that in school its just so friggen hard when its happening to you!! haha I think I will just keep doing as I am doing taking it away when he is messing in it. Its just worse because he is not my child so I cant deal with him the same way I would with my own. I definitely agree that he should have been started on sippys earlier IMO if it was my child it would be done right away but meh what can ya do. Ughh I think I will try him cold turkey with it tho and see how that goes. You're right if he is hungry he will drink. The child this week has been sooooo cranky!! :dohh: Ughh I need a REALLYYYYY long nap!! :sleep:

I agree on the soft spout sippy cups , max is 6 months and learned to love it ..worth a try just mention it to mom and see what she says about ..after all its not your job to teach him that she should not have waited so long to do so ..

As for the food , yeah its part of the toddler stage aint it great I dont have a toddler but babysit one whos 17 months and seems to like throwing things on the floor luckily I have a dog hahaha ..so helps for clean up

Ya, its definitely a stage and normal in their development. I learned that in school its just so friggen hard when its happening to you!! haha I think I will just keep doing as I am doing taking it away when he is messing in it. Its just worse because he is not my child so I cant deal with him the same way I would with my own. I definitely agree that he should have been started on sippys earlier IMO if it was my child it would be done right away but meh what can ya do. Ughh I think I will try him cold turkey with it tho and see how that goes. You're right if he is hungry he will drink. The child this week has been sooooo cranky!! :dohh: Ughh I need a REALLYYYYY long nap!! :sleep:

aw, :hug: yeah it's definitely hard when he's not your own!! You are limited to things you can do. I started Alexa on her sippy cup as soon as I started giving her cereal just so I wouldn't have problems down the road. Good luck, I hope everything works out for you!! :hugs:

I agree on the soft spout sippy cups , max is 6 months and learned to love it ..worth a try just mention it to mom and see what she says about ..after all its not your job to teach him that she should not have waited so long to do so ..

As for the food , yeah its part of the toddler stage aint it great I dont have a toddler but babysit one whos 17 months and seems to like throwing things on the floor luckily I have a dog hahaha ..so helps for clean up

:rofl: ***suggestion to Percilla, Get Dog!*** :rofl:

:rofl: ***suggestion to Percilla, Get Dog!*** :rofl:

Haha I was actually going to say the same thing!! I wish lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"