Regular cycles.....

Discussion in 'Postnatal Support' started by Tam, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Tam

Tam Mum of 2 - PG with No.3

I was just sitting here wondering when I am going to be back to a normal cycle.....

How long after giving birth did you get your AF and how long did it take to regulate itself?

See we use the rythmn method for birth control and at this moment in time, I have absolutely no idea where I am in my cycle or even once AF is here, whether I am going to be regular like I was before the birth? I really can't remember from last time!

2. Wobbles

Wobbles BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired

I can't answer from personal experience but I did find the following on iVillage -

[​IMG] How soon after giving birth will I begin to start ovulating and having a normal period? Can I expect the same cycle as before?

[​IMG] Women who don't breastfeed find that their cycles resume very quickly -- as early as four to ten weeks after childbirth. If, however, you meet the following three criteria, then your chances of ovulating are only about two percent:
    1. Your menses have not returned
    2. You are fully or nearly fully breastfeeding
    3. Your baby is less than six months old
    If you wanted to have a safe and natural method of contraception during these first six months, you could use the Lactational Amenorrhea Method (LAM).

The first criteria of LAM is that you have not resumed menstruating. What this means in practice is that any vaginal bleeding before the 56th day is almost always anovulatory (and therefore can be ignored), assuming you are fully or nearly fully breastfeeding. Any bleeding after the 56th day should be considered a sign of resumed ovulation.

Full breastfeeding means that you are not giving your baby any supplements. The Institute of Reproductive Health at Georgetown University has shown through extensive studies that the contraceptive effectiveness of LAM is maintained even if your breastfeeding is nearly full, meaning that you supplement no more than 15 percent of all feedings. The risk of resumed ovulation is on a continuum and thus you should try to limit supplimenting as much as possible. In addition, full or nearly full breastfeeding means that intervals between feedings should not exceed four hours during the day or six hours at night.

3. Layla

Layla Well-Known Member

i love iVillage!

My cycles returned about 6 weeks after Coby i think. they were normal for a while then went mad again lol

So you should see AF again soon Tam

xx

4. Tam

Tam Mum of 2 - PG with No.3

I gotta say tho, I bloody hate her (AF)....us women get all the crap! :(

But having said that, I am looking forward to getting back to normal and knowing where I am!

5. Trinity

Trinity Well-Known Member

A friend of mine took 6 months to get af back!! Turned out she had hypothyroidism (sp) or something so had to take pills to get it back to normal. She lost loads of weight when she started taking the pills though!!

6. hypnorm

hypnorm Well-Known Member

took me 9 months before af came back - i was breastfeeding ewan. cycles have never been regular - so its always been a bit pot luck!

7. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I got my af 6 weeks after giving birth and they went back to normal straight away after that for 5 months but now they are messed up again :wacko:

8. Imi

Imi .

I beld for 6wks solid after maddie ... had 2 weeks of not had another bout of bleeding then a normal month and then got duffed :)

9. Suz

Suz ~ I are a Nerd ~

:witch: You can have mine if you really want it back...:witch:

:rofl: I hope you get your:witch: back soon.....