• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Relactation? The good, the bad, the ugly?

Flossie_Aus

Cautiously Expecting
Reaction score
At 5 weeks old, after many issues, we ceased breastfeeding. My home-care midwife guessed that DS had some sort of intolerance to my diet causing all his issues and it was just easier to feed formula and have a more settled baby. Cut to now 14 weeks and he has been diagnosed with a significant posterior tongue tie and an upper lip tie. This explains all of his symptoms when breastfeeding so it is highly unlikely it was an intolerance.

His ties are being corrected soon, and I feel a little cheated out of a positive breastfeeding experience. I have spoken to a midwife/lactation counsellor about relactation, and she said it would be completely possible, but that I would need to be 100% committed. I spoke to my LOs paediatrician and they said they would be supportive of relactation but that I should know that the benefits medically at this stage would be negligible (being a healthy baby of good weight in a country where formula is heavily regulated), and to only do it if I wanted to do it for myself, rather than for whatever minor benefits he might receive.

It is a big commitment, and I would need to remove myself from my lupus medication (I'm stable at the moment so that's nbd). I'm also afraid of upsetting a good thing, as he currently sleeps through the night (though that 4 month regression will be here soon anyway!). I guess what I would like to know is the good, the bad, and the ugly. Ladies who have gone through relactation, was it worth it? Did you have a positive outcome?

Hi, I have no experience but wanted to wish you luck either way things go.

Do you have no milk? I'm trying to start again but my breasts still have milk although very little I image. She started formula at 4 days old and is 10 weeks now.

Do you have no milk? I'm trying to start again but my breasts still have milk although very little I image. She started formula at 4 days old and is 10 weeks now.

Oh wow. I have none at all. Dried up within around 2 weeks.

I let her nurse for comfort sucking so perhaps some milk stayed because of that? I don't think she got much out though as she is formula fed.

I dont have any experience but from what I have read it is totally possible although can be hard work. I don't know if it is worth it for you and your LO or not, only you can decide that. It depends on so many factors and your own personal circumstances and feelings. I do totally disagree with your paediatrician though. Of course it would still benefit your LO. The benifits of BFing over formula are not generally about weight. Most babies gain weight fine on formula but breast milk is better for the digestive track and passes on antibodies against illness etc. You could still go on to BF for a year or two, or even more so that is still a long time to receive those benefits. BFing also offers great comfort. It still isn't an easy decision taking into account how much dedication it will likely take and the fact that it involves your medication etc. I'm not sure what I would do in your circumstances. Either way I'm sure you will make a good choice but if you do decide to BF of course you are doing it for your LO, not just yourself.

I spoke to my LOs paediatrician and they said they would be supportive of relactation but that I should know that the benefits medically at this stage would be negligible

It's absolutely up to you and I can see why you might not want to commit as it will likely be like squashing all those first growth spurts and fussy times together in to one long growth spurt. However I wanted to give an opinion in addition to the medical one.

Medical (by which I assume your paid means nutritional/immune) benefits of breastmilk aren't the only benefits of breastfeeding. As well as the emotional benefits of which you're probably already aware, I'd argue that there are a few benefits that might not be classed as totally medical, but they aren't "just for the mum" either. For example:
1) if LO gets a tummy bug you won't have to buy and use rehydration sachets - breast milk is the best electrolyte fluid for your LO.
2) if LO (heaven forbid) had to be given an operation, breastmilk is often classified as a clear liquid in hospitals so LO could be fed right up to, and straight after the operation
3) breastmilk isn't thought to cause tooth decay so breastfeeds can be given to children/babies with teeth without having to worry about cleaning them afterwards
4) breastfeeding is a great parenting tool to deal with a bumped head, a sudden fright, or loss of a toy
5) breastfeeding protects YOU from certain cancers
6) there are spikes in immune factors in breastmilk at different times during the first two years that seem to co-incide with periods of increased mobility in youngsters. It is thought these might help prevent infections when children are old enough to move around and put things in their mouths.
7) breastfeeding is ecologically more sound (no manufacturing, packaging, transport energy consumption or waste materials)
8) breastfeeding is cheaper

This is not to make you, or anyone who choses to FF, feel bad about their choice. It is just to illustrate that there are lots of amazing things about breastfeeding and breastmilk. Breastfeeding was one of the hardest things I ever did so I would never judge anyone for not wanting to re-lactate or feed a baby with TT. I was lucky, my pain resolved at 11 weeks in, and from then on it was the best thing I ever did!

I am attempting to relactate in my left boob. My LO refused to nurse on that side fo so long that I no longer produce milk on that side. My right side has compensated and is now a super boob, about twice as big as my left boob! My LO will now nurse on the left for whatever reason, so whenever she is sleepy or wants to comfort nurse I put her on the left side and she will happily suck away for quite a while, then when she gets fussy I put her onto super boob so she can get some milk. I'm hoping in a few weeks left boob will start making milk again.

If you feel you missed out on a breastfeeding experience then I say go for it and see what happens. You won't know unless you try, and if it becomes too much work then you can just go back to what you've been doing. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->