Relactation?

pollydolly

Reaction score
I stopped breast feeding 3 weeks ago because I thought it was what I wanted, but I find myself really sad when I'm making up formula & I just want to put him on the breast whenever he cries/is hungry etc.

Is it even possible for me to get any supply back, even 1 feed a day would make me happy to be honest. I can still get a little bit out when I squeeze my nipple (sorry) but not a lot.

Help? X

I imagine you can but it will be a long process to get your milk supply back up. You need to pump, pump, pump and get your baby back to the breast. Getting him to latch on might be difficult now as he's used to a bottle but it is possible! I expressed and bottle fed for first three weeks and eventually got her breast feeding again it took a few days and a lot of crying but I eventually did it, best decision I made getting her back breast feeding!

Only tips I can give you are as above pumping, getting baby to feed and also mothers milk tea, fenugreek tablets all help with milk supply as well as drinking lots of fluids and eating well x

It certainly is possible but will be very hard. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. x

Post in the Breastfeeding forum as well as you may get more advice in there, and maybe ring la leche league? Good luck :)

ETA - baby brain! Could've sworn I was in Baby Club when I read this lol!

What was your supply like before you stopped?

It is possible but its going to take a lot of work...moms who adopt and have not had children can lactate. If you still have some when you squeeze your nipples then its possible. You will need to pump and try to nurse a lot, take fenugreek and blessed thistle, eat oatmeal, mothers milk tea and you can also take domperidone the side effect is lactation.

I would love to do this too but I have had massive supply issues with all 3 kids and not fixed by anything above but thats due to hormonal issues that i cant fix (PCOS). I stopped on Christmas eve as BF was my only focus and i wasnt enjoying my baby at all. I miss the bond and I miss a baby suckling from me. I will always experience a sense of loss and sadness around it.

I wish you all the luck in the world. Hope you can do it.

Thanks so much ladies!

He latched last night so I'm glad that isn't going to be a problem, he seems to know his way around the boob :haha:

I'll take all your advice on board!
Really hope I can give him at least 1 feed a day. I miss the bond & closeness x

What was your supply like before you stopped?

It is possible but its going to take a lot of work...moms who adopt and have not had children can lactate. If you still have some when you squeeze your nipples then its possible. You will need to pump and try to nurse a lot, take fenugreek and blessed thistle, eat oatmeal, mothers milk tea and you can also take domperidone the side effect is lactation.

I would love to do this too but I have had massive supply issues with all 3 kids and not fixed by anything above but thats due to hormonal issues that i cant fix (PCOS). I stopped on Christmas eve as BF was my only focus and i wasnt enjoying my baby at all. I miss the bond and I miss a baby suckling from me. I will always experience a sense of loss and sadness around it.

I wish you all the luck in the world. Hope you can do it.

My supply was really good for the first week then my anti biotics slowed it down horrendously and he wasn't getting enough so was screaming near the boob because he couldn't get much.
But it must've come back or at least not left completely when my antibiotics were gone. I hope so.

Thank you, & I know what you mean about the sense of loss & missing the closeness, I didn't think id miss it like I do x

Put him on the breast as much as you are able to. Pump after that as well, especially at first.

As long as your expectations aren't too high, I think you will be happy with the result. Even like you said, one feed a day. Keep your goals achievable, and it's definitely doable! Many ladies on here have done it.

Thank you :) it's slowly getting a little more.
As much as I can give him I'll be happy with x

He's starting getting really angry when I try to latch him on, like he knows he's going to be suckling for very little milk. Stressing but I'm persevering! X

Yes!!! Fennugreek and lots and lots of pumping!!!!. Try at least once a day for baby to latch too. I bottled my baby at first because he would eat for an hour off me and I didnt have the patience so I pumped and bottled for the first 3-4 weeks and relatching was very successful! Bf is so much better for baby and becomes soooo easy once everything is settled out! At least try it again!

Yes, yes, yes!! Completely agree ! After 2nd baby was 10 days old I got pneumonia and had to stop for bf for 3 weeks due to antibiotics.....just kept pumping and throwing away milk in that time and drank lots of tea to bump up supply... It was milkmaid tea by earth mama, angel baby. Def worth a try ;) even if you can only get enough for a bedtime feed maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->