RentaFriend.com

LeeBee

Reaction score
Heard about this on the radio this morning... For $50 you can pay someone to hang out with you.

There was a mother who secretly rented a friend for her 18 year old daughter, because she had never had any friends and was going off to college.

I heard another story about a woman who moved to a new town and didn't know anyone, so she rented a friend to help her meet new friends.

Opinions?

Hmmm... That's wierd. If they pretend to be your friend, that's just wierd. But if they help you meet people, then I spose it's not too bad :wacko: But then that's decepting the people who you then meet, and that's wrong...

Its a bit weird and not for me but if it works for others..

Bit effed up to me really. I do understand how isolating it is to be in a new place with nobody to call a friend or anything, but there's something a bit sinister about paying a fake friend. Surely the old-fashioned thing of getting out to groups, making yourself go out and interact with new people is better in the long-run? Yes it's tough and can be a long time going (2 years we lived here before I could truthfully say I've got a friend here, as opposed to just someone who's kid plays with mine), but a hired person wouldn't be a true friend either :wacko: If I was gonna hire someone for anything I'd hire a home help, get some help with the jobs about the house that pile up, whilst doing that I'd bet there'd be more chance of striking up a friendship with that person than with someone who has to force it because that's what they're charging for!!

Not sure if I'm putting this the right way, but my first impression of that was that it was mildly... "whorish"?
As in, you are paying someone to fake a sort of intimacy.
So I find it kind of silly and kind of creepy, too. :shrug:

Not sure if I'm putting this the right way, but my first impression of that was that it was mildly... "whorish"?
As in, you are paying someone to fake a sort of intimacy.
So I find it kind of silly and kind of creepy, too. :shrug:

Yeah .... I think you've put the nail on what I meant by sinister about it. Weird.

Kind of funny...but if you want to do something and you don't have anyone and you really want to go with someone, I could see it being a good option. I tend to get along with most people, so I wouldn't be shy about that. So long as the person wasn't creepy. It would be a fun job, no? lol

I find it weird, although, i can sort of see the reasoning behind it? If that makes sense

Kind of funny...but if you want to do something and you don't have anyone and you really want to go with someone, I could see it being a good option. I tend to get along with most people, so I wouldn't be shy about that. So long as the person wasn't creepy. It would be a fun job, no? lol

Good point actually!

Maybe the people who work as the "friend-for-rent" are very outgoing and warm people, who genuinely enjoy meeting new people and spending time with them. I'm sure the company hires employees with a certain personality who have a knack like that. In which case, it's a great job and would benefit the clients as well. And maybe some true friendships are formed as a result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->