Renting & TTC

if i had waited and bought my home i would never have children. but i have 2 not preventing a 3rd from arriving and i rent i have been in this current address 5 yrs and were settled here. i know it sounds ideal having your own home
but then there is the added pressure of morgage changes returning to work after the baby is born to keep up the morgage payments etc
plus if my roof was to blow off my landlord has to deal with it and the expenses in my own house it would come out of my pocket.

Me and OH will be renting when we start TTC. I would love us to own our own home but it's not possible and won't be for many years

If OH lets us TTC, we will be in a rented apartment... My family didn't live in a non-rented home until I was 11 and my littest sister was just about to be born.

There's no point in putting ones life on hold, just to buy a house!

My husband & I are renting privately. Ideally we would own our home but circumstances dictate that we can't afford one. Owning our own home would provide us with more security but unfortunately in this country and time we live in it's very difficult to get on the property ladder, goodness knows how long it'll be before we can get a mortgage.

I think if it was up to me we would be in a housing association place, you are renting but you can change the house to a certain extent but if you decide to leave then you don't need to worry about selling etc.

Realistically when we ttc we will be renting, at the end of the day your LO won't remember what house they were in when they were little. As long as you are okay and looking after your LO then you're fine.
Xxx

My mother raised me in several (um.. about 14) rental homes in the course of 18 years, and I turned out perfectly fine. If anything, I have a strong knowledge of the property management business, haha! And now I am a leasing agent in an apartment building, lol.

In my experience with rentals, I have come to love it. I never feel like I am throwing money away because of the perks that come with renting. We have lived in places with pools, business centers, fitness centers, maintanence crews, etc. I love that everything is at your fingertips with a rental, and when something breaks you are not physically or financially responsible for it! I will most likely be a renter for the rest of my life, and we are WTT for baby number TWO!

I feel exactly the same way you do Sooz. I always dreamed of having a home FIRST before the kids...but now that I'm about to be 30; and a down payment for a home is no where in sight, I'm beginning to wonder if this is a realistic expectation. My hubby (who is DYING for us to have a baby) of course feels there is nothing wrong with renting when we have our first child. I just feel like it will be so much harder to save for a home once we have a little one to take care of. I dunno though - as I get older I'm thinking I need to stop waiting for the "perfect" time and just do it.

My hubby (who is DYING for us to have a baby) of course feels there is nothing wrong with renting when we have our first child. I just feel like it will be so much harder to save for a home once we have a little one to take care of. I dunno though - as I get older I'm thinking I need to stop waiting for the "perfect" time and just do it.

My H2B is also desperate for a baby, if it was up to him we would have a LO by now, but he has never been a great forward thinker or planner...he tends to live for the moment. This isn't always a bad thing but I have to balance him out by being the spoilsport who worries for the pair of us! :dohh:

Like you, raising a deposit is my biggest concern. We can start putting money away again after August but the question is do we put it away towards a deposit or towards a baby, as once a LO comes along I don't think there will be such a thing as 'spare cash' anymore. :hissy:

In many areas of the US, hoping to own a home is out of the question. If we were to wait until we all owned homes before having kids, the only ones having them would be rich people. In my area, your typical 3-bedroom house will run at least a couple million dollars. But the typical hourly pay is only about $15 per hour. In Euros, that would be buying a house for 1,519,941EUR while making 11.40EUR per hour. It would be nice to own a house first, but just is not feasible in all areas.

I am ttc and we rent our house, we can not afford to buy a house and are renting a nice place, we dont think it matters that much, we have enough money to bring up a child and are going to give our child a loving home and we think that is the most important thing. we would love to own a house but there will always be something we want and dont want to wait any longer for a child!

your typical 3-bedroom house will run at least a couple million dollars
:shock:

And I thought living near to London was expensive!

In many areas of the US, hoping to own a home is out of the question. If we were to wait until we all owned homes before having kids, the only ones having them would be rich people. In my area, your typical 3-bedroom house will run at least a couple million dollars. But the typical hourly pay is only about $15 per hour. In Euros, that would be buying a house for 1,519,941EUR while making 11.40EUR per hour. It would be nice to own a house first, but just is not feasible in all areas.

I dont believe that unless your living in Hollywood.

Me and hubby-to-be are privately renting and probably won't be able to afford to buy before we start TTC. It did worry us at first, mainly because renting is not 100% stable - If the landlord ever wanted his property back he'd be quite within his right to ask us to leave but most contracts state that they have to give 2 months notice and with rented properties in such plentiful supply at the moment we'd easily find another home.

Renting is becoming so popular right now.

I dont believe that unless your living in Hollywood.

Maybe areas such as Bel Air or Malibu...but I own a nice, 2 and a half bedroom house in a very nice area in New England and it did not cost anywhere near a million dollars.

Nothing wrong with renting, a home is a home to bring your baby in. :)

AutumnRose, clearly you don't live in the US. Hollywood is cheap compared to certain other areas. Here is a typical single-family house in my area.

https://www.listingalert.net/dn/RETSImageServer.aspx?IMGID=37392e38382e38342e38312e39372e34372e34342e36352e34342e34342e36352e33372e33362e34372e34342e34342e34342e36362e34342e35312e3131392e3130392e3132322e

5 bedrooms, 4 1/2 bathrooms. Price: $2,995,000

If 5 bedrooms is too many for you, here is a smaller house:

https://www.listingalert.net/dn/RETSImageServer.aspx?IMGID=37392e38382e38342e38312e39372e34372e34352e36352e33362e34332e36352e33372e34332e34372e34352e33362e34332e36362e34342e35312e3131392e3130392e3132322e

2 bedrooms, one bathroom, with a price of $2,937,000

ALL of these houses are about 400 miles from Hollywood, about 650 kilometers.

Now let's go all the way over to the other side of the country to a town in New York. Apartments cost as much as houses. A condo is an apartment you own. Same thing, just not rented.

Would you like to see some more?

Oh! And here is a house in the town were I live.

https://p.rdcpix.com/v03/l65a1bb41-w0m.jpg

4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms. $9,200,000.

A billboard near here says, "Palo Alto is now Value Alto. Single-family homes from the mid-$1,000,000's" I can't find a picture, but here is a link where someone mentions this billboard.

I want to slam my head in the door at these prices.

Thats insane!
I own a house bigger than the one in the second picture and the price is incomparably lower! And it's a very nice area in US!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->