Requested To Be Induced... (39 wks) RANT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandora0814

Mum & Expecting #2
Reaction score
This Main Post has be deleted by the creator Pandora0814.

I did not want to be judged nor did I want to feel that my personal preference were straight wrong. I thought this forum was for comfort and none judgment.

Thank you all that did post. I just did not like the feeling these opinions gave me.

I think it's odd that she didn't offer to induce you at 39 weeks. My OB makes us wait until 41 weeks to be induced with the first baby, unless you are 3 cm and like ......75% effaced at 39 weeks. However, with my second pregnancy he told me that if i was 39 weeks and still pregnant they would induce me regardless of how far dilated i was. Sounds like it is more of the drs personal preference on why, and not for any sort of medical reason.

Do you have a reason for wanting to be induced at 39 weeks, or just because you are tired of being pregnant? Perhaps you could talk to her about your reasons for wanting to be induced? Sorry if that's not much help.

I cannot speak about the induction, but i just have to say that it seems cruel to have a woman go back to work after 3 weeks. I would be feeling extremely stressed and on edge about the whole situation too. It'a a little hard to believe that a country like the United States isn't more evolved when it comes to maternity leaves. What a shame!

I personally agree with your OB. Checking your dilation tells you absolutely nothing about when you'll go into labour. You can be 4 or 5 cm for several weeks or 1 cm and go into labour the next day. It seriously won't tell you anything! My baby has been fully engaged for a week and I've been 3cm (I checked myself and midwife confirmed engagement). I can still easily go to 42 weeks.

I wouldn't induce a low risk woman for non-medical reasons as a care provider -- it's a huge strain on your body and increases your chance of a c-section, which would make you miss even more work if that's what you're concerned about.

I have to admit I agree with your OB. The UK doesn't even do cervical checks on most woman until after 40 weeks as all it does is increase the chance of infection and it doesn't aftually tell you anything meaningful.

Also I don't agree with inducing at 39 weeks unless there is a valid medical reason. Just because one baby came early doesn't mean the other will. As PP have stated it will put a massive strain on your body and is a less favourable way to labour for both you and baby.

The company you work for are being ridiculious. Where is the resilience planning if something goes completely awry and you have no choice but to be off? Is there no way you can train up someone to cover some of your duties for those weeks? I am a senior manager and have always made sure that at least one member of my management team knows how to do at least my basic duties, it makes sense as I could be hit by a bus tomorrow.

The work thing is truly ridiculous. What if it came down to it where you needed a c-section? OBs say no activity for 6 weeks. Would they still make you work and risk you causing more injury to yourself? Do they not to do the 12 weeks unpaid leave? Majority of states do follow those laws, but I know some jobs are different.

At my OB it is standard to check for dilation starting at 36 weeks. I know dilation usually does mean nothing, but its still nice to see if things are starting. I don't understand why your doctor wouldn't check.

I understand why you would want to be induce, but you have to understand the doctors perspective. Induction can be a very long process (took 36 hours of pessary before my water broke on its own, 18 hours later no baby and no sign of her engaging at 10cm and I needed a c-section). This was when I was 39 1/2 weeks, and I was induced for high blood pressure. If your first baby was born at 38, could be a chance for this baby to be early too. But if you're only wanting an induction because of work, I would talk to your employment about giving you more time. Induction could lead to c-section which could lead to longer time off work by the doctors choice, not yours or your work

You are a department head - do you think they are going to fire you if you don't come back right away? Does your company have enough employees to qualify under FMLA (I think it's 40 or 50)?

Your doctor is being a bit stubborn, but I'm not sure I would insist on an early induction because of the c-section risk. That would cause you to miss even more time.

I thought everyone was helpful, can't always expect people to tell you what you want to hear but okay.

I thought everyone was helpful, can't always expect people to tell you what you want to hear but okay.

I'm sorry but helpful would not be making a person feel that they are completely wrong in the personal preference. I did not expect ppl to agree with me completely but I also did not expect everyone to completely shut me down. Not everyone can have the luxury of paid maternity nor the option to be on leave as they so choose.

I was just hoping for a little bit of reassurance.

Labor is not black and white… it’s every color out there. Same as religion or vaccination beliefs. How can anyone tell anyone that they are incorrect in there personal preferences?

That is all I was stating originally. It’s okay though, I’m over it. I’m an adult and this was just childish to post anyways. I had a momentary lapse in judgment to post originally.

Thank you once again, though, for your comment.

Please no more comments. I would like to thread to be CLOSED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"