Restarting breast feeding with 1 week old baby

meow951

Reaction score
I had my little girl last Saturday. I breast fed her for about the first 12 hours and decided to stop as i felt awful. Fast forward to day 5 and i've been feeling so annoyed with myself for giving up so easily so have decided to try again. Just wondering if anyone can help me get things going again?

The breast feeding clinic has told me to feed her as often as possible. However she does get really upset eventually as i guess i haven't got enough milk to keep up with the same amount that she was having from a bottle? The clinic said that if she needs a top up feed from a bottle to make sure i express afterwards to tell my boobs they need to make more milk. And eventually i should be making enough milk to not need to top up/express. Does this sound the right way to go? Is there anything else i can do?

i would love to send you a longer answer but dont have the time. :(
Spend as much time possible nursing her yes, and google thesetwo things:
Dr. Jack newman and relactation
And
Supplemental nursing system
Good luck mommy!

Absolutely do-able! I started again at 6 weeks after birth and we have been pumping since then, and he's just starting to feed from me at 6 months old. Pump after every nursing session (or every 2 hours if she feeds less - so important for supply). Have her close to you as much as possible. Drink plenty of water :) and definitely google supplementary nursing system. It gives your baby milk through a tube while she is latched. Good luck!

We reattached after 2 weeks - it is definitely possible

I recommend lots of skin to skin - i pumped every 2 hours during the day to re-establish supply but it was worth it

DD was about 5 weeks old by the time I could properly say she was EBF

Good luck :flower:

It can be done :) I relactated after 3-4weeks of stopping bf (LOs choice not mine!) and relatched him after 8weeks once I had a full supply.

As you arent very far pp your hormonea should still be in the right place to make building a supply quite easy (well as easy as this process can be!) put baby to the breast as often as you can and express after every feed for 10-15 minutes even if bo milk is coming any more. Try to either feed or express every 2 hours. Expressing/bfing in the night is really helpful for supply too.

Try some galactagogues, fenugreek, oats, brewers yeast, blessed thistle... Google ir and you will find morw.

Also a supplemental nursing system may help. If you are in the UK I have two 'lact-aid' sns's that I am willing to sell, I paid £60 for them (the delux system) but you can have them for £40 + p&p. I used one a couple of times but didnt need it as by the time it finally arrived in the post from america I already had a full supply! The other one is unused and they come with two rolls of the milk storage bags and the cleaning system thing. (sorry if im not allowed to sell things in this part of the forum) pm me if you are interested though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->