• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

retail ladies! mat leave?

Patsy7

Reaction score
To all ladies that work in retail: when did you/ are you starting mat leave? I want to work as long as pos but already starting to struggle on my feet all day.

I worked up until 38weeks! I only do 12hours over the weekend so it wasn't too bad! I did suffer backache and pelvic girdle pain which were worse after my shifts.

Is there anyway you can have seat available for you to use if your on the checkout ?

38 weeks!! Wow don't think I could last that long. I work 40hrs a week and no at a check out so no chance of sitting down its more customer service so walking around store all day x

When I was working full time I left at 32weeks and used up 4weeks holiday before my mat leave kicked in at 36weeks. This time im only part time, 15hours a week but spread over 4days and I had my last shift yesterday, 33weeks and im using 2weeks holiday and my mat kicks in at 35weeks x

I'm planning to work until around 38 weeks. I work at the customer service desk, so luckily I don't walk around a lot. But I do stand all day.

When I was in retail they used to reassign the pregnant women to areas of the shop where they could sit. Your manager should be able to sort this for you, theoretically they have to provide you other work if you want to continue working but can't do your current job.

When I was in retail they used to reassign the pregnant women to areas of the shop where they could sit. Your manager should be able to sort this for you, theoretically they have to provide you other work if you want to continue working but can't do your current job.

This^^^^

I used to be up and down the stairs with heavy boxes and stacking shelves as well as the checkout! Once I found out I was pregnant I was put on the checkout permanently! Have a word with your manager/supervisor. Have you filled in a risk assessment yet?

Ask for lighter work and request a chair! I worked in hospitality so I was on my feet walking around all day. I worked up to 39 weeks cause I was given a chair.

I worked up until I went into labor. And I was in receiving, so I was unpacking ALL the boxes that were coming in and putting some of it up. I was fine up until the last month. Man that was bad. I'd come to work in sandles cuz my feet would swell so bad, I'd take so many breaks and call in at least once a week. They did give me one of the boys to help me though, so I definitely utilized him that month!

you can ask to go onto tills.
my plan is to go on mat leave around 38 weeks.
last time I planned it for 37 weeks but ended up going on it at 36 weeks as had to be induced early.
I'm hoping for 38 this week but my consultant is not sure i'll make it to 39 weeks as he's concerned about baby's growth.
I started of on the evening team when I fell pregnant but because of back problems my physiotherapists didn't want me going it because of my back. went on to shopfloor facing but that wasn't helping my back so asked to go onto tills, been on tills a little over a month now. but I only work 16 hours a week.

I worked until 34 wks. I'm glad I stopped when I did because just a week later I started to feel like such crap despite being at home all day! I couldn't imagine working.

I'm going back 8 wks pp.

With number 2 i worked my last shift the day before my due date, where i was pushing trolleys around. This time my job entails quite a bit of bending and im stopping on 15th nov and im due 19th however using 4 weeks hol and only working 1 9hr shift a week so tht i get overtime to see me through first 12 weeks of mat leave.

I worked until 41 weeks last time my dd was 11 days late. This time I start mat leave at 39 weeks but will be using a weeks holiday before that as having a toddler as well seems a lot harder

To all ladies that work in retail: when did you/ are you starting mat leave? I want to work as long as pos but already starting to struggle on my feet all day.

I'm a retail department manager so in addition to regular retail duties, I have to run a department with no staff and also be acting manager on duty for a few hours every day...which means a lot of getting called for help and having to rush from one side of the store to the other and still try to get things done when I'm already moving slower than usual. It sucks but it might help if you leave certain things to other people- like getting on ladders and bending over. If I had to stock things on a bottom shelf, I'd just have to flat out sit on the floor and take my time.

I started mine right before I hit 39 weeks (and delivered at 39 weeks).
August 4 - last day of work
August 7- water broke
August 8- baby born
August 14- due date

I knew I ovulated early so I had a feeling I would have her the weekend after I stopped working and that's exactly what happened.
I worked about a week longer than I really wanted to because I had some rough days but they passed and I was able to make it. My last day was actually supposed to be the Saturday before that but I agreed to come in the following Tuesday (4th) to do some final training for my assistant.

It's rough and you're going to be exhausted but sitting at home all day probably won't be much better. You're either going to be exhausted from nesting like crazy, or you'll feel bad for resting and not nesting...you're going to feel like crap whether you're at work or at home, basically.

Waking up and getting out of bed to go to work is going to be hard but it will keep your mind occupied, at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->