Retained Placenta! TMI, but it scared me.

ReReKitty

Reaction score
I thought doctors and MWs were supposed to examine the placenta after delivery to make sure it was intact? I guess mine weren't so thorough since I passed a lemon sized chunk of placenta a couple days ago!

It's been 2.5 weeks since the delivery and I have had heavy bleeding that hadn't decreased. I figured some people just have a heavier lochia flow than others. I didn't know what lochia was supposed to smell like, but in my own opinion it had started smelling pretty bad. Then at a week postpartum I started getting terrible cramps- like the beginning of labor. It was worse than afterpains, it felt like full-on contractions. I only had maybe one of these cramps a day. On Monday, I started getting freezing-cold episodes every couple of hours (I had one every few days before that and wasn't really worried about it since I heard it was common postpartum) I went from comfortable to COLD in two seconds and I was shivering like I was sitting in snow or something. I decided to take a warm bath. I got one of those "afterpain" contractions while I was in the tub and it lasted at least a whole minute and felt JUST like a bad contraction. I relived the pain of labor lol. Afterward, when I stood up, I felt something more than lochia leaking out. :blush: It felt solid and I immediately went to the toilet. I had to push a little and then there it was... afterbirth two weeks later. :shock: Umm? At first I thought it was a blood clot and it TERRIFIED me! It was almost the size of my fist and I have big burly man hands :haha: I called the maternity ward immediately telling them my symptoms and they scheduled an appointment with my doctor the next day. He examined me (ouchhhhh) and came to the conclusion I had, indeed, passed a chunk of placenta. :wacko: He seemed a little weary telling me (maybe because I would totally blame him for not checking the placenta... :growlmad: ) but I wasn't upset. :shrug: I guess accidents happen... I should have called when I noticed the odor a couple of days before passing the placenta. But all is well- he gave me antibiotics for the infection. Good news is the very next day after the placenta, the bleeding has stopped and now I only have light pink discharge! It is great not having to change pads every single hour :D I forgot what it was like not living in the restroom since it had been my second home ever since LO engaged at 36ish weeks :haha:

But the chunk was so large, I wonder how nobody caught that :shrug: Has anything similar happened to any of you ladies?

Hello ReRekitty!

I did pass a large chunk of something the other day. Size of a large prune. It does say on my notes that I had ragged membrane so I presume that means they didn't get a clean delivery of the placenta. Don't seem to have had an infection from it though. Mentioned it to the midwife who didn't seem to concerned.

I also passed a fairly large piece of placenta a few days after birth. I called the MW and she told me it was normal. (she is not the one that delivered. I ended up in the hospital with an OB.) The placental pathology report said they couldn't determine the completeness of the placenta because it was torn though. (It didn't look torn to me when I looked at it after birth.)

I had retained placenta, i passed about 5 large pieces & even haemoraged. There reluctant to confirm its placenta incase you want to sue them!! Have they scanned you to check youve got no more? X

Wow thats really scary i would be pissed at the drs for not checking

Gah busy two weeks lol sorry for not replying I feel so rude right now! Just thought I would reply and update. After the placenta came out I only had pink discharge for a day or two, and now its just yellowish very light and I feel like I never gave birth lol. I mean the moment it was out, everything got 100x better! Ahh! I only need liners. I was afraid it would be weeks of the bleeding but I guess not. Thank goodness. I guess since the first two weeks were so unbelievably heavy it all just emptied out super fast. I really think the placenta was acting as a stopper since the last bit of blood I ever saw gushed out with the piece. Now I just have to figure out how to lose all this weight ~,~

Biddylee: Did you ever find out if it was placenta or have you had any complications since?

amjon: I wish I looked at the placenta. They asked if I wanted to see it and the first thing that ran through my mind was "why would I want to see that?" but looking back... It developed with my LO and was the link between us. I wish I took a peek. I also (I don't even know why) closed my eyes when she was coming out. I wasn't afraid to look or disgusted or anything, I just shut my eyes so tight without thinking and next thing I know, she is out. I can't believe I missed it. ~,~

xcharx: They never scanned me for more placenta. But I think it is fine since everything cleared up... I guess that could be something the doctor could get in trouble for but this is such a small town, we are lucky to even have a real live doctor here haha. I feel it was sort of half my fault for not telling them my symptoms beforehand though. :o But oh my goodness, I was scared enough about the one large piece, you must have been terrified, I'm so sorry you had to go through that!!! :((

scaredmmy2b: I definitely was at first! Until I realized I ignored all of the symptoms pointing toward retained placenta ~,~ But it still bothers me they didn't really check after birth. I felt awkward at the hospital, the doctors only showed up when it was time to push (MW and OB) then they scurried off pretty quickly afterward and I only saw MW for a minute the next day when she went to check my stitches before I went home. I wish they would have been more thorough, I didn't know what a retained placenta could mean or anything, I thought it was more dangerous than it is because honestly I couldn't fathom it breaking apart. I was white as a ghost when it happened. 0.o

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->