Rethinking Names

NellyLou

Reaction score
Hi! So we have thought of all these name ideas, but now I am rethinking. We liked Georgia, Stella, Eva, etc. And then I had the thought "Would I want to go by any of these names?", and the answer to most of our ideas is no! The only ones I can think of that I wouldn't mind being called are Eva and Elani. Has anybody considered whether or not you would want to be called what you are thinking of calling your child? Also, suggestions are welcome :)

Yeah, it is one of teh first things I think of! Obviously my children may be nothing like me but then again they might, and if I couldn't pull off the name or wouldn't want to be called it then it doesn't make the list. I also imagine other family members with the name- so for DS I imagined my brothers with that name, my DH, our fathers... Maybe I over think things :haha:

I definitely think if I would like that name plus who I know with that name and if I like them. I have also looked up various people with that name on facebook just to see what kind of people share the name.

I love the name Stella. It was actually my beautiful, kind great aunt's name and I have wanted to use that name since childhood. DH knows too many dogs named Stella to love it... but it's still on the table :)

I also say the names out loud as if I was trying to get a childs attention and write them to see how they look in my handwriting. I think I'm obsessive :)

I always have this thought! I can't speak for other women - but I personally would like to have a pretty/attractive name, rather than a "cutesy" name, for example. Not to offend anyone, but that's the reason i'm not a fan of this trend of "old lady names." I get why it's cute on a baby/little girl. But as a grown woman - I would never, ever want to have an old lady name. So I def try to keep that in mind when contemplating baby names.

By the way - I love both Eva & Elani! I think they are both gorgeous names at all ages!

I always have this thought! I can't speak for other women - but I personally would like to have a pretty/attractive name, rather than a "cutesy" name, for example. Not to offend anyone, but that's the reason i'm not a fan of this trend of "old lady names." I get why it's cute on a baby/little girl. But as a grown woman - I would never, ever want to have an old lady name. So I def try to keep that in mind when contemplating baby names.

Ha! I am definitely biased as my name is Ruthie so I have always had a quirky old lady name. I always loved having a different name that is as cute and unexpected as I am... and I thought that it couldn't have been awesome to always need an identifier to know which person you were talking about... like Jennifer S or Heather *insert last name*

Yes, actually I was on the phone to the insurance company about my dd and they thought I was Sienna. So the man on the other end kept saying "Can you hold on for a moment Sienna?", "Hi Sienna, are you still there?" ect. It was a strange experience. For n.3 the question is very present in my mind. Sometimes I go to starbucks and give a different name so that when they shout it out I test how it feels lol!

Yes, actually I was on the phone to the insurance company about my dd and they thought I was Sienna. So the man on the other end kept saying "Can you hold on for a moment Sienna?", "Hi Sienna, are you still there?" ect. It was a strange experience. For n.3 the question is very present in my mind. Sometimes I go to starbucks and give a different name so that when they shout it out I test how it feels lol!

Starbucks thing is hilarious and totally genius...would be a cute picture (pic of the name on the starbucks cup showing) to put in the baby book too on how you decided baby's name :)

Ha! I am definitely biased as my name is Ruthie so I have always had a quirky old lady name. I always loved having a different name that is as cute and unexpected as I am... and I thought that it couldn't have been awesome to always need an identifier to know which person you were talking about... like Jennifer S or Heather *insert last name*

Ruthie is gorgeous!

For me I have always been jealous of girls with super unusual names. I hated being one of many!

The thing is, people often say 'I can't imagine an adult called Daisy/Poppy/Alfie etc' but if these names are popular now then it'll be the norm to have doctors/lawyers etc with those names in 20/30 years!

Maybe in the 80s people said 'I just can't imagine an adult called Lyndsay/Jennifer/Tony'!

Thanks for all the opinions ladies! I also love the starbucks idea!!!

The thing is, people often say 'I can't imagine an adult called Daisy/Poppy/Alfie etc' but if these names are popular now then it'll be the norm to have doctors/lawyers etc with those names in 20/30 years!

Maybe in the 80s people said 'I just can't imagine an adult called Lyndsay/Jennifer/Tony'!

I work in San Francisco and know a lawyer named Daisy! She's nearly 30 but I definitely already see a change in names.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->