rh neg question

callymel

Reaction score
Ok so I'm Orh neg blood group & had anti d at 28wks but found out today that my fiance (baby's father) is Brh neg.am I right in thinking that the baby can't have a positive blood group so I won't need any more anti d? Tia x

Yep if your both negative you shouldn't need the injection anymore.

Thats right, but they wont necessarily take your word for it. May give it to you anyway!!

How was the injection?? I have to get one soon :-(

Is the rh neg only if you have a negative blood type? I asked the midwife but she didnt really answer me!

Actually, it is possible for two Rh-negative people to make a positive baby, because there's a chance one of them isn't really negative. Long story short, the test isn't always sensitive enough to catch the positive protein and results in a false negative.

https://genetics.thetech.org/ask/ask114

Many doctors don't feel that it's worth worrying about though, so it's up to you.

Is the rh neg only if you have a negative blood type? I asked the midwife but she didnt really answer me!

Yes Sarah; you need the shot if you're a negative blood group only. It's just that there are potential problems if a positive blood group mixes in with yours.

Actually, it is possible for two Rh-negative people to make a positive baby, because there's a chance one of them isn't really negative. Long story short, the test isn't always sensitive enough to catch the positive protein and results in a false negative.

https://genetics.thetech.org/ask/ask114

Many doctors don't feel that it's worth worrying about though, so it's up to you.

Oh wow I didn't realise that one! He gave blood a few weeks ago and had his donor card through today so fingers crossed if I show the midwife that then she'll put it in my notes.they can't just jab u lol they have to have your consent because it's down to you weather you have anti d or not. And the needle wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, & I'm a huge wuss lol good luck with it.I had mine in the top of my leg xx

The shot isn't too bad. I've had 2 so far, both in the butt. :haha: With the first one there was a little soreness near the injection site, but I think mostly it depends on the person giving it to you as the second time it didn't hurt after at all.

I had the jab in my leg. I was dreading it, but was actually no worse than any other injection.

Do you have to get multiple shots? I've had one and thought it was the only one I needed?

Do you have to get multiple shots? I've had one and thought it was the only one I needed?

I think routinely you only get one at 28 wks,but if you have a bleed or a blow to your stomach you have to have a dose of it x

You have one at 28 weeks then one after baby's born. They usually give it if you have a fall etc as well incase there is a chance you bleed internally which may potentially mix with babies blood.

Here in Australia we have one at 28 weeks, another at 34 weeks and another after birth.

they may still insist you get the jab after birth :/

I have had the jab 3 times so far in this pregnancy - one routine, one after a bleed and one coz i fell down the stairs :/ its really not that bad! :)

apparently they test the cord blood to find out what baby is to see if you need the third and final- thats what my doc told me!
Im okay with injections/drips and stuff like that but never had one in the butt before...I think I would rather somewhere I dont put all my weight on all the time!

Thanks! Good to know, the first one wasn't bad, I was just curious.

...something I've just thought I wanted to ask you girls. This is baby #1 and I was originally told by my mw that I'd get a shot at 28 wks then within 72hrs of birth if baby was positive blood group. I mentioned it to my mw on my last visit and she said that maybe they won't do the 28wk shot this time and let it slip that it's due to budget reasons and my gyno would have the final decision, and that it's not that important to have it now as it's my first pregnancy. The mention of "budget reasons" left me a tad worried...of course I want what's best for me, bubs and a possible future bubs.

I'm going for a scan this Monday so will bring it up with the gyno but just wondered if any of you know if there are potential risks if I don't have it now. I want to be able to argue my case if it's necessary and not be fobbed off because of budget cuts!

Any thought?

Thanks xx :flower:

If I was you I would push for the shot. It is important to get the shot with your first baby as you don't want to develop antibodies against any further pregnancies.

over here in holland/netherlands at 26 weeks they test the babys blood type to see if its neg or pos. Ours is neg so no need for any injections. Does no other country do this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->