Rh Type-Negative. Now what?

ltrip84

Mom and pregnant
Reaction score
I just had all of the necessary blood tests done at my first prenatal appointment. I am able to view the results online and it says that my Rh type is negative. I guess this can be a bad thing and I may have to get a shot?

I would just like some more info from people who know about this and what will be done about it.

Have any of you had the same problem?

Hi! I have the same blood as you!

I can't really remember what happened on my first. But basically it is only an issue if the babies father has +ve blood. Which means that the baby has a chance of having +ve blood (but obviously you wont know this until the baby is born).

I think I had a shot at around 26 weeks and then another one when the baby was born.

It's really not anything to worry about though! But if you do have a fall or bleed you should tell your doc straight away, because they will give you a shot then as well.

I wonder if for some reason I need a blood transfusion, if it will be harder to find my type of blood...

^wss

It means you'll need a shot of anti-d (thats what we call it in uk). Shouldn't be too bad :)

I'm the same, I had two injections during my pregnancy to stop me rejecting baby in the event that baby had the same blood as her daddy (she does). This wasn't a problem but I would've had to go to hospital had I experienced any bleeding. Might be worth asking your doctor if your blood group is particularly rare but the 2 injections was all I needed and they didn't hurt at all.

I am RH- as well and was told that I will need a shot at 28 wks and at delivery. My question is from my reading from the americanpregnancyassociation.org that if they test the FOB and he is neg. as well then no shot is needed. Why don't they test the FOB now that way it prevents the need for the shots??

Wondering if anyone has asked the OB/MW this question. I'm going to ask at my next apt on the 27th.

I am RH- as well and was told that I will need a shot at 28 wks and at delivery. My question is from my reading from the americanpregnancyassociation.org that if they test the FOB and he is neg. as well then no shot is needed. Why don't they test the FOB now that way it prevents the need for the shots??

Wondering if anyone has asked the OB/MW this question. I'm going to ask at my next apt on the 27th.

85% of the population (at least in the US) is positive. So it's always pretty unlikely that babby daddies will be negative as well, of course there is a slight chance, you never know. My doctor said it's cheaper to just give the shot than test daddy's blood and THEN probably have to give the shot anyway.

Good question. Let me know what the dr. says.

My OB made my husband get tested as part of his pregnancy homework. Turns out he is also A Negative like me, so I didn't need the shot. Definitely something to check into if you don't want unnecessary injections! :)

I'm rh neg too .. The ladies are spot on with the shot info. We're universal donors but can only receive blood of the same type. While its rare, hopefully rh negative people donate blood often so the supplies don't run low..

my parents were both negative! so obviously I'm negative, but dh is positive (the hospital gave us a form to take to the gp so he could get his blood tested). As already mentioned a shot during pregnancy, and one after birth!

I'm A- had two shots while pregnant & one at delivery.
Baby turned out - to anyway! Lol

If you have any bleeding you'll have to go to hospital and get a shot though.

OP I hope you don't mind me butting in with another question on this topic. I know I'm O negative even before I get my bloods checked next week, since I donate. I don't know what Rh DH is. Is there a chance I could reject baby in the meantime before I get this shot?

Anti d shot at 26-28 weeks and one normall after baby is born. I'm a-negetive and had 13 of these shots total. Let me say one thing its not glamourus it goes in your butt (well thigh just below butt cheek) and numbs the leg for hours

OP I hope you don't mind me butting in with another question on this topic. I know I'm O negative even before I get my bloods checked next week, since I donate. I don't know what Rh DH is. Is there a chance I could reject baby in the meantime before I get this shot?

Nope Hun the risk is babies blood mixing with yours. They should give you the shot anyway at 28 weeks but if baby is neg too you shouldn't need one after birth.

I'm negative as well. Had a shot at 24 weeks with my first and another after she was born, but it expired this January. Didn't hurt much at all for me!

Just got my BFP August 22, but almost miscarried a couple weeks later. I'm thinking its because my body was rejecting the baby since my shot expired, since it's Daddy has a + type. Thankfully, they gave me a new rhogam shot, and it stopped. At least that's what I think was happening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->