Rhogam shot at 5 weeks....terrified...

wlovew

Reaction score
I went to urgent care yesterday at the advice of the nurse at my clinic due to my disappearing symptoms and they took blood and I had a good number for 5 weeks, 4695. I was to go back in 2 days (tomorrow morning) for another draw to compare numbers. Well today after an hour long walk I got home and had some spotting in my underwear, just light pink but it was alarming. When I wiped there was also some. Out of caution I went to the ER to make sure everything was OK and got an ultrasound and they saw a nice, big yolk sac that measured 5 weeks 5 days, and I'm 5 weeks today. Well they diagnosed me with a threatened miscarriage and insisted that I get the Rhogam shot. I know since I am RH- I will need it in the future around 28 weeks I believe and then after delivery but them giving it to me so soon has me REALLY scared. It attacks the baby's red blood cells, but supposedly not enough to cause harm. THE BABY IS SO TINY RIGHT NOW IT WAS NOT VISIBLE ON ULTRASOUND YET I am so worried that this will cause harm and I will miscarry now :( Has anybody had the Rhogam shot early on and not had any harm done? All I've read about are women who had it early and then miscarried a week later.:cry::nope::cry::nope::cry:

Don't worry! Rogham doesn't actually attack the blood cells. It just prevents the antibodies from working! When your body finds a foreign cell like a positive rh factor blood cell it creates antibodies that will attach themselves to the foreign cell and sound the alarm to the immune system as if saying "over here! Come attack!". The rhogam stops these antibodies from ever forming (hopefully) so there is nothing to sound an alarm and the immune system will leave the foreign cell alone. It's really important to get the shot before the antibodies form or else it is pretty much useless. As for other stories of an early rhogam shot and miscarriage, it probably has little to do with it. Being that early the risk is high anyways. If you are still concerned there is no harm in waiting until later in pregnancy. Like you said the more traditional time is about 27 weeks. The antibodies don't form until you have mixing of mom and baby's blood like during delivery. As long as baby is inside, your blood cells stay separate. I'm glad everything else is looking splendid! Oh and don't dwell on threatened miscarriage, it really is just a blanket diagnosis they give to any woman with bleeding under 14 (or 12 depending on policy) weeks. Hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy!

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I didn't think an embryo had red blood cells that early? I know it takes some amount of time for them to develop but I'm not sure how much - like maybe 7 weeks or something? Which would mean you wouldn't need rhogam before then... I don't know I'm clearly not an expert, just bewildered on this issue.

ETA - Wikipedia tells me it happens around 40 days of gestation. So ignore the above, I was just confused!

Don't worry, the shot stops you forming antibodies in your own blood, it does not attack the fetus. I had to have it after the birth of my first LO as he is positive and I'm negative. It's a nice stick in your butt or thigh, but that's the extent of the whole thing! Over in a flash. :)

Don't worry! Rogham doesn't actually attack the blood cells. It just prevents the antibodies from working! When your body finds a foreign cell like a positive rh factor blood cell it creates antibodies that will attach themselves to the foreign cell and sound the alarm to the immune system as if saying "over here! Come attack!". The rhogam stops these antibodies from ever forming (hopefully) so there is nothing to sound an alarm and the immune system will leave the foreign cell alone. It's really important to get the shot before the antibodies form or else it is pretty much useless. As for other stories of an early rhogam shot and miscarriage, it probably has little to do with it. Being that early the risk is high anyways. If you are still concerned there is no harm in waiting until later in pregnancy. Like you said the more traditional time is about 27 weeks. The antibodies don't form until you have mixing of mom and baby's blood like during delivery. As long as baby is inside, your blood cells stay separate. I'm glad everything else is looking splendid! Oh and don't dwell on threatened miscarriage, it really is just a blanket diagnosis they give to any woman with bleeding under 14 (or 12 depending on policy) weeks. Hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy!

AGREE! This is correct!

Also, your Rh- status could maybe, possibly, potentially be the cause of the spotting. This could also be an explanation for why people who have received the Rhogam shot and then miscarry think that the shot caused the miscarriage. Spotting can mean any number of different things. Sometimes it means something and sometimes it means nothing. Something like 25% of women have bleeding during pregnancy and 50% of them go on to deliver a healthy baby! Women who spot brown and are Rh-, then receive the shot, then MC can easily associate the two (shot with MC), when in fact the spotting was related to embryonic demise. With a single MC, the cause is almost always assumed to be due to genetic disorders, but never officially investigated, so I would be wary of stories that link the shot to MC. ANYWAY, do what you think is best! And just try to focus on what's going right b/c it seems like everything is going splendidly otherwise!

Keep us posted and a happy and healthy pregnancy to you!

Thank you, ladies!!! It's been 48 hours now since the rhogam shot and all is well, my numbers went up Sunday morning too!!! Things are looking good!!! Sobbed my eyes out when I got the HCG results yesterday morning. 4695 Friday, 24 hours later up to 5637, then 12 hours after that (yesterday morning) it was up to 7482!!! Almost doubled in 36 hours!!! Thank GOD!!!!!!

I just wanted you to know that I had the rhogam shot at 6 weeks.. I had some bleeding (we werent sure what it was from.. ended up being caused by sex).. anytime you have any spotting in your pregnancy and are RH- your dr will give you rhogam. There is absolutely no harm to the baby at all! I am now 25 weeks and all is well.. don't worry about it. Also - the shot doesn't do anything to THIS baby/pregnancy.. it is to protect your future babies/pregnancies. kind of confusing but i promise it will be ok!!

Thank you so much, I feel so much better!! First ultrasound is next week on January 21, it can't come soon enough!!!!

I just wanted you to know that I had the rhogam shot at 6 weeks.. I had some bleeding (we werent sure what it was from.. ended up being caused by sex).. anytime you have any spotting in your pregnancy and are RH- your dr will give you rhogam. There is absolutely no harm to the baby at all! I am now 25 weeks and all is well.. don't worry about it. Also - the shot doesn't do anything to THIS baby/pregnancy.. it is to protect your future babies/pregnancies. kind of confusing but i promise it will be ok!!

Not always, I'm A Negative and had bleeding/discharge/clots early in my pregnancy. My OB had my husband get typed first before offering the shot, and since he turned out to be A Negative as well I didn't need it at all during pregnancy or after delivery. She just monitored me more closely for a few weeks. :)

Hope the rest of your pregnancy goes smoothly, OP!

that is true - it only affects the baby if your baby is a specific blood type.. which can be ruled out by finding out your partners blood type. at my drs office they just wanted to give me the shot right away.. which i was fine with!

thanks for the well wishes.. you as well!

I went to urgent care yesterday at the advice of the nurse at my clinic due to my disappearing symptoms and they took blood and I had a good number for 5 weeks, 4695. I was to go back in 2 days (tomorrow morning) for another draw to compare numbers. Well today after an hour long walk I got home and had some spotting in my underwear, just light pink but it was alarming. When I wiped there was also some. Out of caution I went to the ER to make sure everything was OK and got an ultrasound and they saw a nice, big yolk sac that measured 5 weeks 5 days, and I'm 5 weeks today. Well they diagnosed me with a threatened miscarriage and insisted that I get the Rhogam shot. I know since I am RH- I will need it in the future around 28 weeks I believe and then after delivery but them giving it to me so soon has me REALLY scared. It attacks the baby's red blood cells, but supposedly not enough to cause harm. THE BABY IS SO TINY RIGHT NOW IT WAS NOT VISIBLE ON ULTRASOUND YET I am so worried that this will cause harm and I will miscarry now :( Has anybody had the Rhogam shot early on and not had any harm done? All I've read about are women who had it early and then miscarried a week later.:cry::nope::cry::nope::cry:
........... .............I would be very concerned. 2days agomy daughter went to the emergency room with spotting. they did a sonogram and she was told they are treating it as a miscarriage, but everything looks like it's going forward the way it should. they were going to give her at 6weeks pregnant the Rhogam shot and did. She left the hospital at 1:45 a.m. by 4 a.m. she had severe cramps online she's ever had before and major bleeding she went to the hospital last night they did another sonogram and told her she miscarried all she would say is the sack because it slow but she may have already passed it. A few hours ago my daughter saw the baby is fine and I how can she missed Perry yesterday and she just did a few hours ago. but the major problems happened after she got that shot I would be concerned and keep a very close eye

Unless blood mixing has occured or you are sensitized from a previous pregnancy where blood mixing occured, a mother does not need Rhogam during pregnancy.
Blood mixing can occur from Trauma, but even then is only relevant if the fetus is at least 12 weeks old.
Even the 28 week shot is only a precaution in case blood moxing occurs during birth. However, a mother may chose to wait and have the babies blood type determined after birth and well as a test done for antibodies. If the baby has a negative blood type and / or no antibodies were produced the shot is not needed.

Critical look at the necessity of Rhogam:

https://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/rhogam-vaccine-big-pharma-profit-ploy/

https://thecontrarianmom.com/2009/06/24/rh-factor-the-truth-about-rh-factor-pregnancy/

Dangers and complications of vaccines in pregnancy:

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/...should-pregnant-women-avoid-all-vaccines.aspx

I had rhogram five times with my skn. At 5 weeks. At 13 weeks. 28 weeks. Two days before he was born and the day after he was born. It doesnt not attack the babys blood cells. It puts antibodies in your blood temporarily making the blood appear to be RH positive so that your immune system does not attack the babys blood cells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->