Rice cereal/Corn cereal

cupcake

Mommy of a gorgeous boy!
Reaction score
So i have bought my little man rice cereal and corn cereal ( both of which say from 4 months on them) which are both to be mixed with formula or breast milk.

I have a few questions:

1. When is best to start him on it for the first try :morning or evening, a friend of mine said morning so that if it makes him sick or hes allergic he wont have a tummy ache in the middle of the night??

2. I know I should start with 1 tsp for the first time, but what if he wants more, and then for the next time how much do i give?

3. Once he is eating it full time , how many times a day should he get it?

4.Hes almost 5 months so in a month i can start introducing other solids like fruit and veg, will he still have the cereals then?

5. I have a rubber spoon for him to eat it off which I heard is better than giving it in a bottle so how thick should i make the cereal then?

6. Should I introduce the rice or corn first , and then how long til i introduce the other one?

7. Do I have to use breast milk, its so hard for me to find time to pump and then when i do id rather save that for a feed ( a drinking one) than the cereal, but im worried to give him formula as it has dairy lactose in it and hes an exclusively breastfed baby. Should i just put the extra effort and pump? Do I need a full bottle of milk for the cereal meal?

Thanks so much!
:pizza:

I just started Hannah on rice cereal so can't answer all of your questions but I'll give it a go

1. When is best to start him on it for the first try :morning or evening, a friend of mine said morning so that if it makes him sick or hes allergic he wont have a tummy ache in the middle of the night?? Morning is the best in case he does have a reaction to it, you can monitor how he feels etc. to make sure the cereal sits well on his tummy, also babies (mine at least) are generally happier in the morning and I've found it easier to get her to eat in the mornings

2. I know I should start with 1 tsp for the first time, but what if he wants more, and then for the next time how much do i give? We made up 1 tbsp the first time, she ate around half of that, keep the amount small for the first few feedings, until you know that he is adapting okay to the cereal (bowel movements regular etc.)

3. Once he is eating it full time , how many times a day should he get it? no idea on this one, we started Hannah on it on Monday and she still gets it once a day

4.Hes almost 5 months so in a month i can start introducing other solids like fruit and veg, will he still have the cereals then? Hannah's younger so again not sure....but I think that they do still have some cereals?

5. I have a rubber spoon for him to eat it off which I heard is better than giving it in a bottle so how thick should i make the cereal then? 1 tbsp. cereal 2-3 tbsp. formula or breast milk. The first few times you want to make sure the cereal is very watered down, not thick at all so he can get used to it

6. Should I introduce the rice or corn first , and then how long til i introduce the other one? we introduced rice first, although I have heard it can cause constipation problems (we haven't had any yet). Not sure about corn cereal, don't know that they even have that here. They say to wait 3-5 days before introducing anything new so that you know that they are okay with the first (no allergic reactions etc.)

7. Do I have to use breast milk, its so hard for me to find time to pump and then when i do id rather save that for a feed ( a drinking one) than the cereal, but im worried to give him formula as it has dairy lactose in it and hes an exclusively breastfed baby. Should i just put the extra effort and pump? Do I need a full bottle of milk for the cereal meal? I'd start with breast milk because it will make the cereal taste like breast milk--and have a familiar taste. If he's not used to formula he could very well reject cereal made with formula because of the taste. You only need a few tablespoons of milk

well i gave rice cereal yesterday and today and he really like it. i mixed it with breast milk and made it really really runny so its not hard to swallow.
the only thing is i feel he has been spitting up a bit more, is this normal?

Glad he enjoyed it :) not sure about the spitting up Hannah seems to spit up less

I know, can never be the same can it :dohh: Makes it so much harder :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->