Room arrangement ideas?

Ashley1021

Pregnant with my first!
Reaction score
I'm at a loss of what to do.. We have a four bedroom house, two bedrooms upstairs, two bedrooms downstairs. My mother used to live with us but just moved out. My oh and I are in one room downstairs and lo is in the back room downstairs. His room has an egress window that can be used in case of a fire but he wouldn't know how to use it.

We thought of moving us upstairs, keeping LO downstairs and when ds2 comes having him in the room next door to us when he's old enough. But now I'm feeling scared leaving ds in the basement alone, what if there were a fire, or break in and I didn't hear or something?! I need suggestions!

Why not move both upstairs and have them share until DS1 is old enough to be alone downstairs?

That could possibly work. My ds is a light sleeper though, I feel ds2 would wake him often even if he was in our room next door.

I wouldn't like being above ds, because he could escape.... possibly the children upstairs and you down, and work on a fire drill with ds, so he knows what to do if the alarm goes off. Or all up/down.

No answers for you hun, just wanted to say i am in a similar situation! I have 3 bedrooms but the third bedroom is clear across the house, through a door, down some steps and through another door. The other two bedrooms are right next to each other. I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do. At first baby will be in a cosleeper next to my bed, but once he or she gets older I'm not sure. I suppose they will just share a room and hopefully that goes okay!

If it were me I woyld either have the two kids share or they would sleep upstairs and I would sleep downstairs.

We r the same.
But my lil dude cant walk
So separate isn't an option.
I think will try move ds (3) into the room next to ours.
Bub in ours
Then when old enough two kids maybe share
Until much older might move parents downstairs, kids up stairs.
But not till way later.
Around age 10 or more.
I shared with my sisters till they moved out
We,were fine ��

Maybe you both move upstairs and cosleep with the baby until they can share the room for a little while?

Or just have both kids upstairs while you're still downstairs? Upstairs just sounds safer?

Maybe you both move upstairs and cosleep with the baby until they can share the room for a little while?

Or just have both kids upstairs while you're still downstairs? Upstairs just sounds safer?

I know, but is it really? Harder to get out of in a fire, but safer (maybe) in a home invasion situation (probably less of a possibility), better if you have like older kids who might try and sneak out, or a danger of kidnappers (unless you have a bad divorce situation or are like a super rich diplomat, I wouldn't worry excessively), tornadoes, downstairs, severe flooding, upstairs...there are pros and cons. To me the most important would be to be on the same floor as the parents if they are too small to safely use all methods of egress in a fire, which is my most likely scary scenario in a regular family home.

I have the same situation. 2 rooms upstairs and 1 downstairs. Master and my son's room are upstairs and the guest room is downstairs. I do not feel comfortable having my 4 year old son sleep on a different floor than me, so we are turning part of our room into a nursery. It's not ideal but it's kind of what has to happen for the time being. She will probably sleep in our room for at least a year until she can sleep through the night and then her and big brother will share a room. We will be expanding our upstairs in a couple years to add 2 more bedrooms so they will share until that expansion happens.

Yeah it makes me too uncomfortable having either of them on a different level!

We have 1 upstairs bedroom and 2 downstairs. We are currently adding a second bedroom upstairs. Our new baby will have this bedroom as a nursery to be closer to us as I'll hopefully be breastfeeding again. Our 4 year old sleeps downstairs. We use a monitor so we can hear in her room and we have a fire escape plan for if we can't get to her from inside the house we have two escapes up stairs and sleep with keys in our bedside drawer for the door near her room and have a tool outside to break her window if needed. It also works great as all her toys are downstairs so she essentially has a playroom for the daytime while we're downstairs. Maybe in the future they will share upstairs bedroom and have a proper playroom downstairs but don't want her sleep disturbed by baby.

Each to their own. Just do what feels right for you and what works in your situation. I felt a little uncomfortable at first but we quickly got used to it and it world well and we feel we would know what to do in an emergency.

I would have you in one upstairs room and your LO in the other upstairs room. Have baby in with you for a while and then move him in with your other LO. I wouldn't be comfortable having my kids downstairs.

I know this doesn't help the arrangement situation much, but maybe you could have an alarm installed in your home - in case of home invasion, I'm not sure where you live but it's very uncommon where I live for that to happen, but if you're worried maybe its worth having one installed? Also maybe install extra smoke detectors and what not? and as a PP said go over fire drills/code reds with DS. Perhaps that would put your mind at ease.

My ds is only 20 months old, I'm not sure he would grasp the concept. We did move him upstairs this weekend though, and will keep new baby in our room. If the new baby wakes him up often I will sleep downstairs and oh will stay upstairs and tend to ds 1 during the night if he needs it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->