Room temp formula

during the day i put cooled boiled water into bottles (4 ounces) then when LO is hungry i boil the kettle and put 1 ounce of boiling water in and shake..add formula....perfect temp :D

I have a friend who had a baby in Portland Hospital London & they said it was fine to do it as above or serve at room temp....and you pay £10,000 to have a baby there!

When I started formula feeding I got told different ways by different people to make bottles

1st 1 told me to do room temp way or make fresh, said fridge way was worst of all because of the bacteria found in fridges!
2nd 1 told me to make up each feed fresh
3rd 1 told mw fridge way

ok girls i have thought of the best way to COMPROMISE!!!

you will need:

3 bottles

measure out 4 ounces of already cooled water from few hours ago into bottle number 1.... boil the kettle and measure out 1 ounce of boiling water into bottle number 2! next put the 5 scoops of formula into bottle number 3...tip the 1 ounce of boiling water into the fomula and shake (there for killing bacteria)....then simply add the 4 ounces of cooled water! bish bash bosh :D x

I make all my bottles for the day with boiled water then when she wants them I just add the powder and shake. During the day I reheat the water in the microwave but if out and about or at night just add the powder, she is happy to have it cold.

you will need:

3 bottles

measure out 4 ounces of already cooled water from few hours ago into bottle number 1.... boil the kettle and measure out 1 ounce of boiling water into bottle number 2! next put the 5 scoops of formula into bottle number 3...tip the 1 ounce of boiling water into the fomula and shake (there for killing bacteria)....then simply add the 4 ounces of cooled water! bish bash bosh :D x

I was thinking about this as a good way of doing it but then some people say that mixing it will boiling water and not waiting 30 minutes for it to cool can destroy the nutrients,vitamins whatever in the formula :shrug: Not sure how true that is though, or did you mean mixing it with water that had cooled for 30 mins ?

Formula feeding is a nightmare with all the conflicting advice!

Yeah I had baby at birthing center and thats what they told me, I never ever gave it to them hot. Always left water in bottles on side for the day.

you will need:

3 bottles

I was thinking about this as a good way of doing it but then some people say that mixing it will boiling water and not waiting 30 minutes for it to cool can destroy the nutrients,vitamins whatever in the formula :shrug: Not sure how true that is though, or did you mean mixing it with water that had cooled for 30 mins ?

I read on another thread that people have contacted the formula companies and most of them said that boiling water can kill the nutrients - I've never

I totally agree with you - it's a nightmare when healthcare professionals can't all sing off the same hymn sheet! They are supposed to follow the guidelines set out by the government - as laid out in the NHS birth to five book. Basically they tell you to make fresh each feed which is what the World Health Organisation say is the safest way to do feeds.

This is why I pre-make and store in the fridge, because I'm making the same as fresh but they will last up to 24hrs in the fridge so I don't have a screaming baby to contend with. And I know that I've done what I can to kill the bacteria in the powder to prevent all the multitude of horrible things happening. Again this is recommended by the WHO as the safest way to pre-make bottles.

I've just read on the SMA website something I hadn't thought of - putting boiling water in a flask so it's still above 70 degrees and then using it to make bottles when needed and cooling down to the right temperature - so you are still making fresh but you don't have to wait half an hour each feed. Now that sounds like a good idea if you don't like the thought of storing pre-made bottles in the fridge :thumbup:

I do the flask method as above but make a pre made bottle for.in the night for if Lo wakes i just need to warm it up from the fridge. It takes about a minute to 2 mins to cool down the bottle in a bug bowl of cold water in the sink. This way your making fresh up everytime which really is the best way to do it but its not time consuming cus the flask holds the correct temp once you've filled it after 30 mins from the kettle. It really is no trouble whatsoever x

I think everyone has there own way of doing things & we all want our babies to be safe.. personally I boil the kettle,put the amount of water in, leave it for 30mins,add powder then cool it under the tap & put it in the fridge..in a perfect world we could make feeds when baby needs it but hey its not a perfect world :haha: x

you will need:

3 bottles

I read on another thread that people have contacted the formula companies and most of them said that boiling water can kill the nutrients - I've never

I totally agree with you - it's a nightmare when healthcare professionals can't all sing off the same hymn sheet! They are supposed to follow the guidelines set out by the government - as laid out in the NHS birth to five book. Basically they tell you to make fresh each feed which is what the World Health Organisation say is the safest way to do feeds.

This is why I pre-make and store in the fridge, because I'm making the same as fresh but they will last up to 24hrs in the fridge so I don't have a screaming baby to contend with. And I know that I've done what I can to kill the bacteria in the powder to prevent all the multitude of horrible things happening. Again this is recommended by the WHO as the safest way to pre-make bottles.

I've just read on the SMA website something I hadn't thought of - putting boiling water in a flask so it's still above 70 degrees and then using it to make bottles when needed and cooling down to the right temperature - so you are still making fresh but you don't have to wait half an hour each feed. Now that sounds like a good idea if you don't like the thought of storing pre-made bottles in the fridge :thumbup:

This is how we used to do it in the night but it was a bit of a pain waiting for it to cool right to room temp.

However I suppose you could do it like blondbabe said mix the powder say into 3oz water from flask then add 3oz boiled water from fridge and that would be ok?
Seems like a bit of a faff but worth trying i suppose.

I just go downstairs, ping one in the microwave for a few seconds, shake well to mix in the hotspots and away we go lol.

I make up the bottles to say 4oz (if having 5 oz feeds) then when due for feeding boil kettle add extra oz of hot water, add formula & feed

Wow...lol I was just curious how the room temp thing was done.
Thanks for sharing your methods ladies!! :flower:

Ok. So answer me this? If it was so dangerous for the formula to be added to cooled boiled water, why is it then on the staydown formulas you HAVE to make bottles up with cold or chilled water. Thats the guidelines, even on SMA staydown. Once again they say its made in a 'non sterile environment'. Tell me whatever is the difference? Will the formula companies be putting the 'reflux babies' lives at risk more than the 'non reflux', I think not.

Getting sick from formula is super rare, probably much rarer that those that get sick from normal milk. Good personal hygeine, cleaning and common sense is much more important that hot, cold, tepid or chilled water.

To OP, I leave boiled water on the side and add the powder when ready.

Please don't have a go at me for providing facts that back up why the guidelines have been put in place. It must have been considered enough of a problem for money to be spent on studies to research the safest way to make formula. Yes babies getting ill is rare but the risk is there and having some knowledge to make informed decisions never hurt anybody.

We both choose not to use what is proven to be the safest method of making regular milk but, and this is my opinion, I am making my bottles in the next best way and ensuring I do what I think is best for my baby.

Everybody has their own opinion and does what is best for their own child.

Big Betty, I agree. And I have to say that you offer the facts in a non biased and very helpful way.

Thanks hun, I only want to help, it's up to the individual whether they think the infomation is relevant to them or not.

Hey, don't all gang up on one person, it's not fair. She was just informing you ladies of the guidelines not 'scaremongering' if you choose not to go by this then that's your choice but bigbetty was just giving you ladies some advice

Bigbetty has gone out of her way to reply to your thread and give sound and correct advice. As you will see from other replies from bigbetty on other threads, she always gives sound, unbiased advice.

Apologies, I wasnt meant in an acusatory way, it was more a rhetorical question. No intential ganging up here :flow:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->