Room temp formula

purple_haze

Reaction score
Ladies who give LO's room temp formula... what's your method of getting it to room temp.

Just wondering because I always get asked why LO doesn't have it room temp. Because aparently it's easier :shrug: But tbh I've never thought about it..always just warmed it for him.

So now I'm curious what your methods are for getting the milk too room temp.

My LO doesnt really drink room temp formula unless he's really hungry (waking up after 9 hours sleep) .. during the night i wake up & hear LO gurgling away so i get the bottle off the side and warm it up inbetween my legs for a bit lol either that or during the day i put cooled boiled water into bottles (4 ounces) then when LO is hungry i boil the kettle and put 1 ounce of boiling water in and shake..add formula....perfect temp :D

I used to boil the water and add int sterilised bottles to cool and then add the powder as and when needed. I used to make 2 bottles of water a time x

My LO doesnt really drink room temp formula unless he's really hungry (waking up after 9 hours sleep) .. during the night i wake up & hear LO gurgling away so i get the bottle off the side and warm it up inbetween my legs for a bit lol either that or during the day i put cooled boiled water into bottles (4 ounces) then when LO is hungry i boil the kettle and put 1 ounce of boiling water in and shake..add formula....perfect temp :D

Between the legs! :haha: Going to have to try that!!

So it's ok to leave the boiled water on the side then add formula? Might give this ago!

So it's ok to leave the boiled water on the side then add formula? Might give this ago!

This is only recommended if you have no access to freshly boiled water. I know a lot of women do it this way and their babies have been perfectly fine, but formula really needs to be added to water that is no less than 70 degrees to kill the bacteria in it. There is a particularly nasty one called "Enterobacter sakazakii" or "Cronobacter skazakii" that can cause infant septicemia and meningitis, and kills approximately 40% of babies who get poorly from it.

This is a quote from a post on another thread:

I still sterilise bottles for my 13 month old, I just wouldn't want to put her at risk and I don't mind spending that extra few minutes if it keeps her that bit safer.
There was a baby in the hospital at the same time as my daughter who died of complications of a bacteria which is found in formula. The baby was 7 months and her parents didn't sterilise her bottles.

While it's rare, to me it isn't worth the risk.

The World Health Organisation says that if you don't have access to freshly boiled water then you can add the powder to boiled water that has been left to cool, but you should use immediately and discard any unused straight away after use.

This is only recommended if you have no access to freshly boiled water. I know a lot of women do it this way and their babies have been perfectly fine, but formula really needs to be added to water that is no less than 70 degrees to kill the bacteria in it. There is a particularly nasty one called "Enterobacter sakazakii" or "Cronobacter skazakii" that can cause infant septicemia and meningitis, and kills approximately 40% of babies who get poorly from it.

This is a quote from a post on another thread:

I still sterilise bottles for my 13 month old, I just wouldn't want to put her at risk and I don't mind spending that extra few minutes if it keeps her that bit safer.
There was a baby in the hospital at the same time as my daughter who died of complications of a bacteria which is found in formula. The baby was 7 months and her parents didn't sterilise her bottles.

While it's rare, to me it isn't worth the risk.

The World Health Organisation says that if you don't have access to freshly boiled water then you can add the powder to boiled water that has been left to cool, but you should use immediately and discard any unused straight away after use.

I know that what your saying is right but why do hospitals tell you to make it with cool boiled water then add powder when needed (got told this on neonatal unit) then on the childrens ward recently we were given a bottle of sterile water to use to make our bottles up with. He has togo into hospital again soon and no doubt we will do it like this again, if its that bad why do hospitals say its fine? :shrug:

As I said the World Health Organisation say you can do it that way, but should only be used as a last resort if there is no access to freshly boiled water and the milk should be used straight away.

I'm not telling people how they should do things, just providing facts to back up why it tells you on the tin to put the powder into water that is no less than 70 degrees.

You will get all sorts of different advice from health professionals - everyone has their own opinion - but it's the guidelines set out by the World Health Organisation that the government follows and there has been a lot of research done on the subject before they were issued.

Call me a scaremonger if you like, but is it really worth the risk?

There is a link to the WHO guidelines on my signature - you can see for yourself what they say.

https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2009/11/bacteria-in-formula-poses-risk-for-infants/

https://www.who.int/foodsafety/publications/micro/en/qa2.pdf

Wow talk about scare mongering

Why is making people aware of risks scaremongering??

I'm not telling people what to do, just providing facts to help them make a decision.

Just the fact that you mention death and the fact that I have been doing this for a few weeks now frightens me. I am so paranoid about my lo suddenly dying of SIDS that I check on him all the time whilst he's sleeping. The government are paid to say all these things including that breast feeding is best - which I am still doing btw.

Ive always boiled the kettle, left to cool for 30 mins and then made bottles up with both of mine following guidelines x

I didn't mention death to scare monger. I mentioned it as one of the facts. I've posted the links to a couple of articles - including one by the WHO - so people can see for themselves.

And you can see the full guidelines if you click the link on my signature.

I'm sorry if it upset you but the instructions on the tin are there for a reason - so if you can't make fresh each feed the next best thing is to make like fresh then store in the fridge for 24hrs so you know the powder is going into water hot enough to kill the bacteria.

The government say these things (after a lot of research into the subject) so that parents can make an informed decision about what to do with their LO. Yes it is scary every aspect of being a parent is and we have to make these scary decisions on a daily basis.

Im sure Bigbettys intention was never to scare anyone..Ive always found her extremely helpful and informative haven taken her advice myself. She was simply making people aware of the guidelines is all :flower:

Well every mother does what they feel is right by their baby and would never purposely put there baby in danger. As for 'it only takes a few extra minutes' it doesn't. I have been there boiling water at 2am whilst my baby is screaming so much he nearly makes himself vomit and it's not great and gets us all stressed out.

I don't have a problem with explaining why the water needs to be over a certain temp etc but the story of the 7 month old dying is terrible and you say it was through not sterilising her bottles, you didn't mention whether it had anything to do with which method they used to prepare feeds. Aren't the government guidelines currently that you can stop sterilising at 6 months ? If so then obviously the goverment guidelines aren't perfect either are they.

It's just not nice to read something so extreme when you have had to do it like this.

We've never done room temperature formula either and LO won't drink it anyway now!
I make up bottles with some cooled boiled water and add fresh boiled to make it up to the correct amount (and temperature) before adding the powder.

Guidelines are to sterilise until you stop using bottles.

I simply quoted another post someone had made on a different thread to back up what I was saying. And no it's not nice to read but wouldn't you rather read it and know the facts than experience it and wish you had known before?

Blondbabe - yes the best way to do bottles is fresh for each feed. But as I said in my previous post, the safest way to pre-make bottles is to make them as fresh but then rapid cool and store in the fridge for up to 24hrs. Then you simply need to heat one up when LO is hungry. If you put the kettle on to boil it will be cool enough by the time you have washed and sterilised the bottles, then you do all the faffing around adding powder in one go and get it all out of the way rather than having to count scoops when LO is hungry.

Well its not exactly fact is it its something someone wrote on another post about someone else they met in hospital, I think thats more like hear say.

I know the risks and you can explain risks without saying things like that, like i said when I've been in hospital its the way I've had to do it.

I'm not apologising for what I said or the way I said it.

I've provided links to articles backing up my statements and you might call quoting another post hearsay but it makes it all the more real to me that this can happen and I'm even more determined to make damn sure I do my best to prevent it happening to my baby.

Everybody has the right to decide what is best for their child and I'm simply stating why I do it the way I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->