Room Temperatures for a new baby

Abz1982

Mum to 2 nutters!
Reaction score
Ok, I am only 18 weeks but already I have a bit of a worry.

I MUST sleep in a room with an open window and it has to be cool/cold. If not I cant breathe, have a panic attack and cant sleep and if I eventually do I wake up struggling to breathe. If my body gets too hot in general I develop UTI's, and blocked sinuses/ear ache.

This is scaring me as we visited my friend in the maternity hospital earlier in the year and I had to leave after 15 mins because I was too hot (in a VEST top) and about to pass out.

I have no idea how I am going to manage to stay in hospital. If I am too hot it makes pain worse as I get frustrated. This is making me consider a home birth, but it being my 1st that scares me a bit to.

The other thing is that once baby comes home it needs a room about 16-20 degrees so I have been told. That is too hot for me. And like I said I have to have a window open (fresh air) so the baby will be i another room. I have been told that is not advised with a new born.

So I am panicking. Do I make myself ill, miserable, tired and partially deaf so that the child is in the same room as me? I just don't want this to be the kind of experience that puts me off having any more kids :(

Hun, a lot of people put their new borns into their own room. There's no point making yourself ill over it, your LO will need you fit and healthy!

Like Kat said, lots of people put their newborns in their own rooms and it works. It may be a little tougher for nightime feedings, but its definitly do-able

I would not put a newborn in its own room but thats my opinion. I dont really know what to suggest ? maybe keep the room cool abut make sure no draughts on baby and make sure he/she is warm with appropriate clothes and blankets for the temp

In fact, I put Oliver into his own room after 2 weeks, as he is so loud!!! I just bring him into our room for feeds and if it's chilly in there, I pull the duvet over him while he's feeding! You'll soon find a way that is right for the 2 of you.

Phew. I am just worried that if something went wrong people would judge me for doing things MY way. I always thought that a cooler room with fresher air would be better than a warm stuffy room.

It is hun, but your baby will soon let you know if he is too hot. Buy one of those GroEgg thermometers - it might help put your mind at rest.
When I was pregnant, I was worried my rooms weren't warm enough, but we soon discovered that they were actually too warm!!!

Someone did advise me to carry a thermometer with me for a bit so that I can learn to tell what different temps are, but sounds a bit daft to me.
It's more the clean air thing I think. My old room at my parents was an ice box and even then the window would be open.

I am just too fussy!

cold draughts aren't good for a sleeping baby though, being cool in general isn't a problem as you can add more layers. i'd also keep baby with me in my room even just for a while.

keely.

In fact, I put Oliver into his own room after 2 weeks, as he is so loud!!! I just bring him into our room for feeds and if it's chilly in there, I pull the duvet over him while he's feeding! You'll soon find a way that is right for the 2 of you.

Jasper is about to get evicted from our room because he sounds like a kitten, he mews and snuffles and squeaks in his sleep!

As long as its not freezing, your baby will probably appreciate being able to be rugged up nice and tight in blankets and warm clothing. Also, mybe consider a beanie as well, as babies lose most of their body heat through their heads, although 'they' dont recommended it as its apparently a choking hazard.

I agree with Kat, you'll find what works for the two of you.

I know exactly how you feel, I also really struggle with the heat, especially if its unnatural i.e a heater.

In the hospital I got them to turn it down for me, but then I was lucky enough to have a room to myself. I found though that when he went into the nursery section to either let me get some rest or for them to teach me how to bath him I couldn't stay in there for even 5 minutes before wanting to pass out. It was horrible. It is only for a couple of days though so I think you will just have to bear with it.

We brought him home after 2 days and he went straight into his own room. It was middle of winter and the main bedroom in our house is way too cold for a baby. He was absolutely fine being in his own room from the start. I had the monitors on so I could here exactly what he was up to.

The only difficulty was breastfeeding. I got too hot and bothered in his room as it was heated, but if I took him to the lounge, my breast got rather cold!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
confettiblue
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->