roughly how long is it before baby grows out of size 1 nappies

karenh24

3rd tri
Reaction score
as the title says i just wanted to know roughly how long it is before a baby grows out of size 1 nappies, im not expected to have a particularly big baby

Our six pounder was out of them within probably 3 weeks

that really depends on the weight of your baby at birth, how much they loose (because it's normal for newborns to lose weight right after birth) and how fast they gain

Only a couple weeks - our boy was 9 lbs so I know that it isn't all that helpful. If you are looking to stock up - only do so if you have lots of storage space and plan on having another or know someone who is also expecting.

We have loads of diapers left from DS1 that will be coming in handy for DS2.

Thank you i'll probably get enough to last me at least 2 weeks

my daughter was 9lb 4oz at birth never lost weight. she was out of sz 1 by 3weeks

My daughter was born at 6 lbs 9 oz. She's now just 10 lbs at 11 weeks and is just getting too big for size 1. They say they go up to 10-11 lbs, so that sounds about right. She's a tiny baby though and only 9th centile. She still fits her newborn clothes as well at nearly 3 months. They were huge on her when she was born.

We're still in size 1's at 11 weeks, will probably be in them for a couple more weeks at least.

A couple of weeks, shame because we stocked up on nappies before daughter was born and we bought a lot of size 1 nappies lol and a lot got given to my friend for her newborn. If you plan on buying nappies in advance I'd buy like 2 packs of size 1 and rest size 2 and 3

As a rule, you use a lot more size 1s than other sizes (meconium etc leads to more nappy changes plus, you're never sure just when baby needs changing so you end up changing every feed, which in my case has been up to 8 times a day lol! :wacko:

With both my boys I bought 100 of each size as a starter - that's 4 packs of size1s I think. I think I ended up using all of them with Earl, and about 3 packs with Eddy, but he was massive. The size 1s are also handy as they tend to be fitted to go around the cord. Newborns also can have really spindly legs as they haven't built up muscle in them, so the smaller nappies can sometimes fit better.

I find 100 of each size is a good round number, but also means that you're not left with a massive stockpile of unused nappies if they have a growth spurt.

I had an average 8lb baby and he was in size ones for about 2 weeks at the most. Size 2 is ok from 6lb but as mentioned above, size 1 is often a better fit for a newborn unless they are massive. I think they come in packs of 27or so normally so buy 3 packs in size 1and a couple of packs of size 2 in case you do need them early on. There is no need to stockpile nappies in any size - they are pretty much permanently on multibuy offers in the supermarkets.

It's different for each - my first baby went straight into size 2s, we skipped the 1s completely. She weighed 7lb8oz, but the 2s fit her fine so we didn't bother with the 1s. My second baby was 6lb13oz but so skinny, and the 1s were falling off her, so we had to go into micro nappies for about a month, then size 1s for a while, but then she soared ahead and is now almost wearing the same size as our eldest :wacko:

BTW they estimate you go through 10-12 nappies per day with a newborn, though I don't think we ever used that much. I'd say 8-10 is much more realistic, and after the newborn phase it went down to about 3-4 per day.

Unless they're at a bargain price I certainly wouldn't bother stockpiling them. I have seen expectant mothers with 10+ packs of size 1s and they NEVER get through them all. Just because you give birth it doesn't render you (or your OH) immobile; you still have to do the food shopping so you may as well buy the nappies as and when you need them. Like I said though, if they're a crazy price then take advantage of it, but don't go crazy. You can buy other sizes too if you want; you'll need size 2s and 3s as well, and you'd still be taking advantage of the cheap prices

My daughter was born at 6 lbs 9 oz. She's now just 10 lbs at 11 weeks and is just getting too big for size 1. They say they go up to 10-11 lbs, so that sounds about right. She's a tiny baby though and only 9th centile. She still fits her newborn clothes as well at nearly 3 months. They were huge on her when she was born.
my 15 month old is also on the 9th centile, and even now she fits into some of her newborn clothes :wacko: they're stretchy, but still

my 15 month old is also on the 9th centile, and even now she fits into some of her newborn clothes :wacko: they're stretchy, but still

My babe is just getting up to the 10lb mark now at 12+ weeks (2nd centile), and I'm also thinking it's almost time for size 2's! Was in NB size for 7 weeks, and 1's until now! :flower:

Ooh, now you mention that; I think the UK/European sizes differ to the US/canadian sizes. I think, though I can't be sure, that a US size 1 is a European size 2, because in Europe we don't have "newborn" size, we have "newborn size 1s", but they're the same as regular size 1s. Anything smaller than size 1 is micro, for premature babies.

that might make a difference in this thread :flower:

Our Lo was 8lb 5oz when he was born and is still in size 1 at 24 days old x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"