Rourke

ZubZub

Reaction score
Hi

This naming thing is hard! So DH and I like the name Rourke (which is extremely uncommon) for our little boy but MIL was so negative it made me afraid to ask opinions from friends and other relatives. We haven't managed to find another name we like... what do you think of it and should we use a name we like but others think is not great? Our DS is Liam and DD is Paige.

It's not really my cup of tea but at the same time I don't think it's awful or anything. I really would ignore other people's comments, the only people that need to love the name are you and your OH, honestly your never please everyone.

I also think that if you like a name that much and it's meant to be then nobody else's comments will be able to put you off it iykwim? :)

I don't like it, sorry. :( Probably doesn't help that I see it and Mickey Rourke's face immediately pops into my head.

But ultimately you should go with what you love. Your MIL will get over it.

Thanks Ladies. I guess, not living in America, we haven't even linked the name to Mickey Rourke. Maybe if we change the spelling (Rorke or Irish Ruarc) it will help to break that association (although then most people wouldn't know how to pronounce it)!

I'm UK and don't make that association either, tbh I don't even know who Mickey Rourke is :shrug: perhaps because your not from America and I'm assuming he's American that that won't be a problem for you anyway? :)

I like Rourke. I don't give any of my relatives or friends the chance to comment on names. It's for sure a secret to all. People seem to be much more polite if you announce baby's name at birth & keep their opinions to themselves. They tend to share their opinions if baby is not yet born. I'm not interested in any comments on our choice (apart from people on the forum!!) And rather not know what they think!!

I know someone with that as a surname and I really have trouble picturing it as a first name.

I'm not sure it really goes that well with Liam & Paige either.

I'm not fussed but it's what you like that counts.

What about Rowan, Rory or Ruary?

It kinda sounds like someone hoiking up phlem, sorry, it's a little odd for me.

How do you pronounce it? If I saw it written I wouldn't actually know how to say it xx

How do you pronounce it? If I saw it written I wouldn't actually know how to say it xx

I've heard a few pronunciations but we would pronounce it Rawk.

Thanks for all the comments! I know it's one of those names you either like or really don't, which I guess is also our dilemma. We don't want him to dislike his own name! I know something like Thomas or Jack are in common usage but here you'd be one of five kids in the class called that and my other two HATE it if someone else has their name...

Thanks ladies!!

I'm not keen, I don't think it goes with the other names of your kids at all.

I just think of Laing oRourke the construction company 😂

I'm not keen, I don't think it goes with the other names of your kids at all.

I just think of Laing oRourke the construction company 😂

Haha! Better than Mickey Rourke for sure! No idea who Laing oRourke is - the only "Rourke" link here is Rorke's Drift, which is where a huge Anglo-Zulu battle took place.

We want a name that is single-syllable, about five letters (currently friends call him "the baby with name of five letters" :wacko:) and really different / unique. When we named our first (Liam) it was one of the least-used names around. So who knows what'll happen?!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->