"Routine" Growth Ultrasound at 37 weeks?

My best friend is pregnant with twins, and she gets scans at every appointment. Healthy pregnancy, healthy mama and babies, just extra careful monitoring due to twins.

I had one thought, growth scans aren't used to measure just weight growth. They measure internal organs of baby, bones, skull, abdomen, etc. They also check position of baby, fluid levels, my ovaries, my placenta, etc. And although it may not be completely accurate, many many Drs are doing late term ultrasounds all over the world, so I wouldn't consider it unnecessary just because the weight could be off

I'm in nz and our routine scans are at 13, 19 and 36-37 weeks. I had mine at 36+3. They check growth but the also check that placenta is still healthy and enough fluid and position of baby.
I think they are a good idea.

I'm in NZ too, and have never seen anyone have a routine scan during late pregnancy, only for suspected problems.

For curiosities sake, I looked up paying for an ob instead of using the free maternity care system in NZ (midwives etc), and the ob I googled scans his ladies at every single appointment!

Minties - interesting. I wonder if it varies depending on which region you live. I'm in Otago and 36 weeks is standard so I assumed it was standard nationwide.

We get offered extra early scans if there have been previous losses too.

Interesting that an ob does a scan at every appointment.

I have to say I think the free midwife care we get here is amazing. It may be different here in wanaka again. We get the same midwife from start, through birth and 6 weeks postnatal too.

Oh man you guys are making me jealous with the free healthcare :sad2: lol

I'm in nz and our routine scans are at 13, 19 and 36-37 weeks. I had mine at 36+3. They check growth but the also check that placenta is still healthy and enough fluid and position of baby.
I think they are a good idea.

I'm in NZ too, and have never seen anyone have a routine scan during late pregnancy, only for suspected problems.

For curiosities sake, I looked up paying for an ob instead of using the free maternity care system in NZ (midwives etc), and the ob I googled scans his ladies at every single appointment!

Minties - interesting. I wonder if it varies depending on which region you live. I'm in Otago and 36 weeks is standard so I assumed it was standard nationwide.

We get offered extra early scans if there have been previous losses too.

Interesting that an ob does a scan at every appointment.

I have to say I think the free midwife care we get here is amazing. It may be different here in wanaka again. We get the same midwife from start, through birth and 6 weeks postnatal too.

I've had a baby in Auckland and one in the Bay of Plenty, I did have a couple extra scans with my daughter late term but I had gestational diabetes.

I also think our care here is amazing! I wouldn't change a thing about it and feel very lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->