Routine, sleep lots of questions

moomin_troll

mummy to zane and corey
Reaction score
Zane is 2wks and 4 days and is a nightmare lol i was bf but stopped cuz he needed more than i had and he loves his bottles hes already on 4-5oz but trys to snack alot which drives me mental.

He sleeps most of the day and then wakes up most of the night and i find it so hard to get him back to sleep that i end up having him in bed with me which i dont want to do as wen i put him down he screams till he gets his own way. I find myself cryin and feeling like i wana run away wen i do everything i can n he just crys that i give in n have him in my bed.

do any of u lovely mummys have any advice on how n when to try n start a routine?

It's so hard to form a routine when they're so young hun,it usually kinda sets itself gradually as they grow.

You can start by making a difference in night and day for him.Loud noises and bright lights in the day...
How much does he approximatly sleep in a day? I know Lola-Rose a week ago was getting over the 22 hours a day sleep and started much less.

I usually give her the bottle and she naps slightly after it,I make sure her naps aren't prolonged.

You can aslo start a bedtime routine,make sure he had a diaper change,and pj's on and he had his bottle,then put him in his cot.
Try doing this every night so he knows that it's bedtime.

I don't know if this is gonna help you but I've noticed that Lola-Rose falls asleep much easier if I put her to sleep in the dark...

thanks yeah i have started to make a change between night and day but weve been moving around alot since he was born because there was work being done on my flat then had to go see ohs family. i figured that hed be too young for a routine its just so furstrating when they cry and cry n u cant do a thing to stop it! Im sure ile be ok soon :)

If he settles best when in bed with you, then keep him in bed with you. Then you'll both get some sleep. Babies can't be spoilt or get there own way as the don't yet have the ability to. It toddlers that can be!!
Hope things settle soon for you xx

my oh is scared we will end up crushing him so isnt happy with him sleeping with us!

hes playing up tonight he just wont stop crying even tho hes been fed ect well thats men for u never happy lol

The only advice i have is thus:

Listen to his patterns and steadily mold them to what you want. But first discover what it is you want to acheive as you dont want to confuse the poor thing lol.

There are two schools of thought, either let the baby do what he wants and needs to do until older and then encourage a routine. But this is the actions of a saint! As those babies will milk you for all they can and you give them an inch, they will take a mile. But some people believe it is the only way to give your baby what they need - to listen.

If you want to establish a routine, then start asap.

Always do the same get up and go to bed routine.

Make sure you use the same room to get them ready in every night.

Dont rock them to sleep or let them fall asleep in your arms at bedtime - as they will always want it. Put them down awake and let them go.

If they have a dummy, give it to them every ten minutes they scream in bed without touching or talking to them.

Always do night feeds in the dark as much as possible and dont talk to them, comfort them etc. i

f you use a dummy, pop it back in when they wake for a feed until it is absolutely obvious that the only thing that will hush them is food.

Include in your bedtime routine sing songs, baths and highly recommend baby massage! after i am done he has a quick hug and a lullaby then i put him down and leave the room. if he screams i leave him to it, giving him the dummy every ten minutes. but tbh, the baby massage hits the spot and he goes straight to bed.

the main thing is to teach them the difference between night and day. Day is fun, cuddles and play, night is quiet and sleepy time.

As for feeding, i believe in the strict feeding times rule, but then tom just did it no hassle, so i cant vouch for babies that dont comply. I fed him four hourly, the same hours everyday and he learnt very quickly when it was coming and didnt cry until it was late. Then i could see when he was demanding more due to growth spurts etc. If he wanted more after a feed, i gave him more, you cant really over feed them if their growth is steady. if he demanded feeds early, then i gave him more. He stops when he is full.

Make nappy changes a routine too - do them just before or after a feed and when smelly if req'd.

very soon, if not already, you will notice the difference in your baby's cry and be able to tell when they want attention or when there is actually something wrong. You will even notice when they are just having you on !! lol.

It may not be easy to start with, but they catch on to routines very quickly. I think it gives them a bit of security.

BUT, this is just one way to do it, different people will tell you different things and as I said, you need to figure out what YOU want to do first, as you can't try everything! and everyone does it differently - every baby is different.

re sleeping in your bed - i am a sucker for this too since daddy went away. I didnt want him waking out the whole house so i put him in my bed ONCE! then he wanted it every day then on in. But i get anxiety dreams about squashing him even when he is in his cot because i know two babies that suffocated that way - so unless you intend on co-sleeping, i'd recommend you just let baby scream until they realise it isnt going to happen. They will stop in a few days and get the hint. horrible as it is.

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2649309

Its god sent and really does take away worries of parents who are afraid of rolling over on child or hitting them in there sleep.

Emma has a lot of good points there. Its still early days though so remind yourself of that and try to go with babies own routine then bump it around a bit to your liking in time.

As for LO sleeping in bed there is also another thing you can get but for the life of me i cant find it online....its like a little walled thing that the baby goes in and supports the body at the sides to prevent mummy or daddy squashing or rolling. Its a small contraption and looks good for holidays etc too and was probably max 30 pounds i think

Emma has a lot of good points there. Its still early days though so remind yourself of that and try to go with babies own routine then bump it around a bit to your liking in time.

As for LO sleeping in bed there is also another thing you can get but for the life of me i cant find it online....its like a little walled thing that the baby goes in and supports the body at the sides to prevent mummy or daddy squashing or rolling. Its a small contraption and looks good for holidays etc too and was probably max 30 pounds i think

I have been looking for this too!!!

UVLolly says it was JO JO manan bebe!!!

https://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/detailfash.php?type=FASH&code=A7423&branch=IF&category=GST82

https://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/detailfash.php?type=FASH&code=A7423&branch=IF&category=GST82

Thats the one! TY Emma least you knew what i was on about lol was starting to think i must have imagined it!

Thats deluxe too ooooh i think i just saw a cheapy one somewhere ;-)

i no what u mean lol and have thought about getting it altho oh doesnt want lo sleeping with us but when hes been cryin for 3 hours straight if it will shut him up hes in bed with me hahah

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->