Ruined Names: You liked the name until.....

I've got lots from having taught at infant school. It's a real problem - some names I actually quite like have really negative associations thanks to the kids I taught - especially Kai, Paige, Katie and Louis. Shame cos I really quite like Louis...

As a high school teacher there are lots of names I can't use (Mark reminds me of working at home for example...!).

It seems that for boys, many that begin with J - Josh, Jake, Jordan, Jack, John, Jason - I have negative experiences of - no idea why J names in particular.

And out boys name would have been Ben, who was one of the lovliest boys I have ever taught! I told him our choice of boys' name (but not, obviously, that he being so nice made a bit of a difference to our choice) and he loved it!

I liked Grace when i was PG with charlie for a Girl Untill my Sister told me there was a girl at school she hated called Grace and if i ever named my child it she would never talk too it :rofl: good job he was a boy really eh!

Leanne

I was meant to be called Leanne but my dad registered my name wrong and the new name stuck! Thank goodness as I've been bullied by Leanne's at about 6 different schools, had really bad experiences with people called Leanne, and even Hubby's ex (who he left before we got together) was called Leanne. It's a shame as it's actually a pretty name but I can't bring myself to like it!

i loved the name michael but had all my life been picked on by a boy named michael so its completely ruined for me. i also loved the names logan and rachel but logan was the name of an Ex who cheated on me and Rachel is the name of DH's Ex so both were out lol

Mackenzie-was the town I was born but my friend from high school had her girl a couple of weeks ago and took it.

Sophia-was listed as one of the top 10 most popular names in Alberta, so I don't want my LO to be Sophia #4 in her class

We've chosen Dakota for a girl, we picked the name when we'd been together about 3wks, and have always referred to our future child by that name.... When I called my mum to tell her I was pg, at the same conversation I she told me they'd just got a new puppy, what they call it? yep, you guessed it! .... Dakota!! So unimpressed.
We will however be sticking with the name choice, the dog will just have to deal with it! :rofl:

I work in a school so there are soooo many names I could never use as I would associate it with the students!

It would take me too long to list them all!

Kevin = my ex husband
Barbara = my ex MIL and a nasty woman from work

Laura was my favourite name through childhood (because of Laura Ingalls Wilder) but then my ex cheated on me, lying horrendously, then ran off and married a Laura.

For years I couldn't even think of the name without feeling sick. I'm kind of reconciled to it now but don't think I could call my baby Laura.

Same with my ex's name, I liked it a lot all my life but then he ruined it for me (Andrew).

One of the names I may call my baby is being spoiled because of other people's unsolicited opinions - I like Adam and Elliott and may call him Adam Elliott, but people tend to say they prefer Elliott, because it's more unusual, Adam is common, or whatever other reason... my MIL has looked after kids for years as a childminder and says she has never known an Elliott who was anything other than lovely yet all the Adams were snotty nosed brats.

It's making me feel more stubborn about not giving him Elliott as a first name (though I do still love it :hissy: ) - I just wish and wish we'd never told people our shortlist. It's none of their business but I can't help but be influenced.

I like really simple names -

John, Jack, Adam etc if we have a boy, but my OH pointed out that our little boy would probably be one of three or more Johns in his class at school! That kinda put me off a bit.

We havn't thought of any names for a girl yet.

I liked Lucy for a girl until I found out it was one of my hubbys Ex's....that was out the question!

same here, i liked sam but craig has an ex called that,
i likes james but i have an ex.

we both liked george but craig drank in a pub and an old bloke in the corner was nicknamed piss ya pants george and apparently he stunk:rofl: so we couldnt have that either
x

I really liked Eleanor or Ellie still someone said Smelly Ellie which really annoyed me!! I cant believe people can be so rude so I have stopped saying when people ask now.

But my shortlist for on here only (teehee) is Eleanor, Isobel or Willow.

I always like the name Sophie, but its the name of DP's awful ex, so not a chance..my name has Isabelle on it..yet every time i say it my 'witty' mum comes out with ''Is a bell necessary on a bike?'' it annoys me, but im still sticking to that being on my list!

there are loads -

alfie - my mate named her puppy this
zack - saved by bell character
savannah rose - greyhound on racing channel (this was a name i wanted for a girl!)
bradley - mascot at haven holidays
barney - purple dinosaur
keegan - variant of kevin (has other meanings as well)
charlie - charlie chaplin
ethan - there was a kid at school that always had a snotty nose named this
dexter - dexters laboratory cartoon

When i was a teenager i said if i ever had a baby girl i'd call her Madeline. I loved that name, until i met a girl in my school year who could not have been more annoying if she'd tried. It completely put me off beyond belief!

I also used to like the name Dawn but my ex's mum has that name as well as my OH's ex girlfriend :dohh: So that would be a big no-no for me.

And i guess when it comes to boys names it is just a case of avoiding anything that reminds me of an ex...Luke, AJ, Brad, Peter, Michael, Dean and Aaron are all therefore totally ruled out because they're either the name or middle name of an ex! Luckily i never loved any of those names for a baby of mine anyway, although Aaron is kinda cute i guess but it just aint happening...ever!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->