Ruined Names: You liked the name until.....

MaybeTTC

Reaction score
I always have this discussion with my fiance. I love a name, but he has the name associated with somebody he doesn't like! Or vise versa.

I thought it would be fun to start a thread about the name and why you can't use it or don't want to use it anymore :)

Me:

I loved the name Christine for a girl until I worked with a woman who was... less than pleasant named Christine, now I'm at a loss for a girl's name. I love the name Johanna, but fiance knew a girl in elementary school with a similar name and doesn't like it. (it's amazing how long first grade impressions last, he he he)

:)

~J

I always liked the name chloe, but half of my friends kids have that name, plus a lot of other people i know

for a boy iv always liked the name Kieron- but it reminds me of this nasty kid in my school...iv tried to put it to one side, but everytime that name is said it just reminds me of him

and there is many more....

i have worked in many nurseries. so its hard for me to actually pick a name.. that dont remind me of a child from there..

x

I liked Lucy for a girl until I found out it was one of my hubbys Ex's....that was out the question!

I loved the name Joshua until I was 38 weeks pregnant and a girl I knew who was due a week before me (who knew we were calling bump Joshua) called her baby Joshua!! So we were back to square one and had a week of stressing finding new boys names (finding that one was hard enough!) until our baby was actually born, then we decided he looked like a Joseph lol. Family have been saying "if you have another boy you can call him Joshua instead" but to be honest that name is pretty much ruined for me now! x

I like the name Edward, but the book The Last Vampire: Black Blood by Christopher Pike spoiled it for me - the very sick, very freaky bad guy is called Eddie.

I love Eleanor (after Eleanor of Aquitaine amongst others), but we fostered a lovely elderly german shepherd dog called Ellie who got nicknamed Smelly Ellie since when she first came to us she did pong a bit! I don't mind calling a baby the same name as a dog, but it worries me how easy Smelly Ellie became a nickname.

Dh and i ahve always said if we have a little boy he'd have the middle name james after our grandads. I've always loved the name but one of my Ex's was james so dont want it as a first name. We've had our hearts set on Logan James for years and would you believe that someone who i dont even like has stolen our baby name. ARghhhh now we are TTC and are seriously struggling to come up with any names at all that we both like. Hoping that when we have a baby it'll come out with a name tag on lol!:rofl:

when we first found out i wanted to call baby Alfie if he was a boy or pheobe for a girl. OH's sister asked if we had any ideas...i said pheobe and alfie and she said ' i know loads of Pheobes abd i dont like Alfie!!!!!' i was like thanks.

we are now going back and forth with names and not discussing them with anyone!!!!

xxx

We had pretty much decided on Harley for a girl until someone said when she's a teenager all the boys will want to take her for a ride.

Lol my ex used to like phobe for a girl (I wasnt ttc with him) but I thought thats quite ncie if I ever fell... until I found out his dog that died was called Phobe! lol xx

My 'friend' kept on putting me off names saying 'oh no that reminds me of a naughty/snotty nose kid from nursery!' cheers! made me mad so when we picked our names we kept them to ourselfs!!

I loved the name Isabella and we had that as one of our name until we told MIL and when then when we told her some of the other names she said "She IS called Isabella". That made me decide that she wasn't going to be called Isabella because I wanted us to name our child not MIL. (I want to be mean now and name her something MIL hates :devil:)

We had pretty much decided on Harley for a girl until someone said when she's a teenager all the boys will want to take her for a ride.

So sorry, but this made me LOL :blush:

Its like a friend who called her daughter Pandora, and I thought to myself that all the boys will ask her to show them her box, or whats in her box :blush:

Miah pronounce My-a was one on our short list for a girl, we weren't telling anyone our ideas for names, mum got a new dog, named it My-la Waaaay too similar and it ruined it for us. Lucky though really because in discussing it later my aunt said "What?Like the store?" There is a HUGE chain here in Aus called 'Myer' in just about every shopping centre, and because of our accents/slackness everyone pronounces it My-a. Exactly the same as the name! Hadn't even thought of that though I don't know how it could possibly have escaped my attention? So thanks mum!!!

I love the name Paris as a boys name which it was,but stupid Paris Hilton has spoilt it for me:hissy:!!I did consider it again but just could not get her face out of my head,didnt want to be looking at my son and seeing her ugly mug staring back at me!:rofl:.

I really like the name Alfie but someone I went school with had her baby 1 week before Alex and called him Alfie and also my neighbour has a son called Alfie and we always go to the cemmetary together as our sons are buried next to eachother and it would get confusing!!

xxx

My 3 favourite boys names: Jack, Harry and Tom
My mums dogs name: Jack...her cats: Harry and Tom

:hissy:

I loved the name Jobriath until I did a bit of reasearch on it. It was the stage name for the first openly gay "glam rock" entertainer. I don't have a problem with that, for the record, my dad is also gay. Jobriath was a crazy nutter-butter. Name ruined!!

Well I wanted to name a boy "Bear" or "Harrison" but in combination with my surname...it doesn't work!

It would have been Bear Legg ! or Harry Legg! LMAO! I didn't even realize it until my co-worker said it!! Imagine my embarrassment!

I've got lots from having taught at infant school. It's a real problem - some names I actually quite like have really negative associations thanks to the kids I taught - especially Kai, Paige, Katie and Louis. Shame cos I really quite like Louis...

Part of the reason why I'm so stuck for a name is because of this very problem. Except it's not even just bad associations...it's any association with anyone I know. It's been a big issue for some reason. And it really limits the names we can use. :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->