Runners: what do you do for cross-training?

M

Mrs Eleflump

Pretty much what it says on the tin, really...I'm training for a 10k in July, and am running 10-15k a week, split into one 5k and one longer run, with the odd short run in between.

I also swim twice a week, about 1.2-1.6k each time, and I do the usual walking about day to day, and do some light weights at the gym as well. I used to do pilates but can't get to a class any more :(

The trainer bloke at the gym says I could be risking an injury with my running (and right enough my left achilles tendon has its moments), and I need to do more cross-training so I'm not ruining my legs.

I would have thought the swimming and weights would be enough as cross-training, as it uses different muscles (I try to focus on my arms while swimming, and whole body with the weights), but apparently not.

If you run quite a lot, what do you do for cross-training? Does my routine sound ok? Any advice at all? I would be very grateful...I'm running the 10k for charity, as well as to help my weight loss and tone up, and I don't want to put myself out of action!!

Proper squats (parallel or below) along with deadlifts. Weightlifting is my priority, not running, so I do very heavy (3-5 rep maxs) but as a runner you could do 8-12 reps with 2-3 sets. I read an article in Muscle & Fitness Hers a few months ago and there was an olympic track runner. She also used lunges as well.

Swimming and weight training are more than enough. You may want to consider kettlebell training and even some plyometrics (although not too much to stress the joints)

Jumping lunges! They're awesome :happydance:

Thank you Aliss and Faythe! I was doubting I'd ever get any replies to this!

How do you do jumping lunges, Faythe?

They have some kettlebells in the gym, I have never seen anyone using them though, so I might book a training review and ask for some help with them at the same time. I need some more training on the upper body weight machines anyway! I do generally do about 3 sets of 15 reps of the light weights, so from what you say I'm on track.

It's good to know I haven't got to try and squeeze anything else into my fitness routine, I have little enough time as it is!!!

Check out "Lauren Brooks" on youtube ~ great KB instruction

What Aliss said. Lauren Brooks is fab :D

Here's a quick vid for the jumping lunges

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzF44cIlDWo

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe