Running causes miscarriage...

mom and ttc

Reaction score
The way my healthcare works, I took a blood test and then had to talk to a nurse to get referred the ob/gyn clinic. It's with Tricare on base.
I am only 4 weeks and found out last Friday and haven't been on a run since last Wednesday. I didn't run after finding out but need to burn some stress off. So I asked if I can continue running, which I do about 3 times a week 4-6 miles. She said no, because it can cause a miscarriage since the baby isn't all the way embedded into uterine lining and I should not run until I am in my second trimester. And because of my history (one miscarriage in 2011) I am at higher risk... I have never heard of such thing??? But my husband asked what the nurse said about running and I told him... So now I am banned from running, I know I couldn't stop myself from thinking j did something if I would end up running and miscarry. But has anyone ever heard that?

Personally I've never heard such nonsense, I'm shocked your nurse would say such a thing. A good friend of mine ran a marathon last year and then found out she was pregnant the next day! Although she toned down her work out she ran all through her pregnancy. Common advice is not to take up any new exercise, but if it's something your body is already used to then you can carry on for as long as you feel comfortable. Only time I've ever heard any medical professional advise agaisnt exercise is if there is bleeding, and then it's usually advised to rest. But in a healthy pregnancy they normally encourage exercise. I carry on going to the gym, and dancing and I'm really high risk. Midwife and consultant both agreed that it's perfectly safe.

My understanding is that You can continue normal exercise so long as it's what you do usually and your body is used to it

as above. I was told as long as it's normal for you, it's ok. I was told by so many people not to carry things or not to pick up my 4 year old. I ignored it after asking my GP...because it's something I usually do. My body is used to it so it doesn't cause issues.

Same as Lora that it's fine to continue the same level of exercise u were already doing xx

my gp told me if I was to start running (or drugs lol) is probably cause one but that was based on me not running at all! if your body is used to it (and it certainly sounds like it is) then I don't think there is any reason for you to stop.

Pure horse s**t
I ran through both my pregnancies 5 times per week up to 38+5 with dd she was born 38+6 and up to 38+1 on ds he was born 38+3

Thats awful wrong information

I have run, lifted heavy weights and started new work outs when pregnant. I call bullshit on that one. I've just started bike riding this pregnancy.

The first time I got pregnant I ran daily and I had a miscarriage.
I then got pregnant again and didn't run because I was worried (even though my doctor told me that running will not cause a miscarriage) and I still had another miscarriage.
I then got pregnant for a third time, ran every day that I wasn't feeling sick, and that pregnancy is now my 4 month old daughter.
If your body is used to running then keep running! And find a new doctor!

As long as your body is used to it and you have no other issues you should be fine. I know a girl on here who ran a marathon at 6 weeks (or so) her daughter is 2! Miscarriages are seldom caused by mothers activities, more likely causes are chromonsonal, accidents (car), or flukes.
Not the same as running but 2 days after my positive test I rounded up piglets and helped get them home.

I second what everyone else has said and think your nurse is worrying for no reason. After all if humans weren't meant to exercise once we got pregnant we wouldn't have made it this far lol.:dohh:

Funny thing to say, but I wonder if it's based on how your uterus is shaped? Are there any abnormalities to suggest why she would say that?

Personally, I love to exercise, and I havn't done any of my usual strength training for about 3-4 weeks now, only because I have felt so rotten. This week i've been trying to get into walking again, and hopefully in the next week or so slowly get back into exercising.

Agree with everyone else. There is no evidence or research whatsoever that suggests exercise or running can cause miscarriage. I looked into it quite a bit when I first found out I was pregnant as I wanted to carry on my regular classes. It seems to all stem from old wives tales which tbh your nurse or doctor should know really.
I also spoke to my midwife about it and she was fine with it, she told me as long as it was what I had done before then it was fine to carry on but like a lot of other pp have said not to take up anything new. :)

Funny thing to say, but I wonder if it's based on how your uterus is shaped? Are there any abnormalities to suggest why she would say that?

Personally, I love to exercise, and I havn't done any of my usual strength training for about 3-4 weeks now, only because I have felt so rotten. This week i've been trying to get into walking again, and hopefully in the next week or so slowly get back into exercising.

She is just a nurse and doesn't have my ob records, she just put in the referral and is there for the first few weeks. I have a normal uterus and no issues. I am seeing my ob next week. My husband knows about the conversation and is now super freaked out

lol, that's bull crap. i'm 18 weeks with my third baby and have been running 4-8 miles, 5 days a week since i found out at 4 weeks. i was a runner beforehand. i ran with my two older boys, too. never had a miscarriage from running.

I had a miscarriage and my ob told me there was nothing I did to cause it. Not exercise, not nursing my son, nothing. It just happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->