Running while in 2WW

Fizzio

Mummy to one of each :)
Reaction score
Hi Girls

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on continuing to run while ovulating or in the 2ww. I have taken up running again after a 5 year break to get myself fit after my MC. But I dont want to do anything that might jeopardise a future pregnancy. On the other hand I dont want to stop if I dont have to as just getting back into the swing of it!

So do I stop or stay running??????

I was wondering this. For about 5 months now I have put off running cos of my last MC and worrying if it will effect me in my TTW.

So far I haven't had a BFP and feel now like I have wasted time not getting fit.

I've come to realise that running will make me fitter, healthy and give me a better chance of conception than if I carry on not doing anything....honestly it feels like a limbo land sometimes.

As of this week I've started running again, only 2 miles but I hope to get back to running 7-8 miles by summer.

I'm back at the gym and am just going to get on with things until one day I get that all important BFP!

I reckon that's the way forward! x

It's so hard to get back to normal...all the best for your next BFP! x

Thanks Pickleton. You are right, being fit and healthy can only be a positive thing and as a health professional I completely subscribe to that but as an individual, I have the stupid stupid thoughts that maybe running will jiggle things around and not in a good way!!!!

You have found you have put off running since your MC and now feel like you have wasted time and that is completely understandable. It is something I am worried about - that I will spend 2 weeks running while waiting to ovulate and then 2 weeks not running incase of BFP - ARGHHHH! I think you are probably right about just getting on as normal until that BFP occurs but the mind seems wonder and contemplate worst case scenarios doesn't it and the "if I MC next time, will I blame the running"?

BUT have to be positive. Good luck with building up the running and fingers crossed for your next BFP too x

So glad to find this, I was working though this very topic on my run tonight. Well put Pickleton, totally get where you're coming from. I have a story, so please bear with me, hope it helps endorse your decisions!

I am 43 and ttc my second child after a 12 week m/c late last year. I am struggling to get back on track emotionally and physically after our loss. Prior to this, I had been a serious runner, covering up to 80 miles a week during marathon training over the past few years and getting back to good running within a couple of months of the birth of my 2 year old son, despite the fact he was born by c-section. I definitely don't run to be thin, I run because I adore running, but I love being lean and taut as a result, if that makes sense.

My problems began when we saw an obstetrician privately last Summer to ascertain whether there was anything we could do to increase our chances of conception, in view of our (and particularly my) age. When she examined me she pointed out that I was rather thin and could stand to be a bit heavier, fair point. I acknowledge that many would look at me and think I could do with a hearty meal! However, when I replied that I ate a healthy balanced diet and always ate till I was full, I was incensed to be told 'They all say that' as though I was some teenage anorexic!!! My cycles have always been regular, even with high mileage which I believe is testimony to my diet and the fact that I am naturally a thin person. I privately stuck two fingers up when I discovered I was pregnant 2 weeks later, no thanks to her but au naturelle :) While I had excluded heavy sessions from my training a few months before, that month I had stopped running about a week before my + test, don't ask me why, but around implantation time I guess. Then, unlike in previous pregnancies when I continued to exercise (2 m/c and a live beautiful baby boy :) ) I decided to give up running completely until 12 weeks. It just felt right for me this time, although I really really missed training and the high it gives, as well as noticing my body was turning to jelly - guess it doesn't take long at my age! At 11 weeks I almost gave in and went for a run but thought I should just wait for my scan to be sure it was a good idea. I never had the chance to do so as the day before our 12 week scan, at 12+2, we lost our precious little one. I am still reeling but am now sooooo glad I didn't run, I would never have known if it made a difference. Since then I have not felt terribly inclined to breath in and out, let alone run, and have also had that nasty woman's words ringing in my ears, thinking maybe I should be a bit fatter to enhance my chances......So, I have eaten cr*p on top of my normal healthy diet. It is just not me and I know that my physical state is contributing directly to my emotional (lack of) wellbeing. Only very recently I reached a place where I decided I must run again because I know I will feel better, and hope this doesn't sound stupid, but my body knows how to function when I am exercising, it is probably in shock that I have abstained for so long! I have been out only a handful of times and feel so desperately unfit that it would be easy to give up. I described in another post how I feel I have been living in suspended animation since my m/c, feeling as though real life could only resume once I was pregnant again. That hasn't happened yet and I now think that I must re-engage with my life and then the pregnancy will follow, please God.

Forgive my long, boring post, it has helped me to write it down but I guess my upshot advice would be to do what feels right for you and your body. This may not be the time to start Autumn marathon training, but if running gives you a sense of wellbeing then it has to be a good thing. Also, the fact that I just felt it would be right not to run before I even knew I was pregnant is curious, maybe you just have a sense of what to do, even if that's not a conscious thing. Hope you've not all fallen asleep and that this helps xx

BTW, I totally 'get' worrying it will be too much jolting for the tiny fragile cells trying to implant, even though I know in my logical brain that this is not so. Maybe run slightly shorter/easier during 2ww???

Good luck to all the healthy, fit ladies trying to get pregnant xxx

Spoomie, I'm glad there are few of us who feel the same! I especially get what you mean by running just makes your body function right. I don't run nearly as many miles as you but I've been running since I was 14 and I just feel so much better and normal in body and mind when I'm running! I think if I were to leave it much longer without running I'd turn into a loon!

It's strange you mention about 'just knowing' to stop as my last pregnancy just before I tested for a bfp I was at the gym and 'just knew' I shouldn't be running or weight training. Infact I left the gym after 5min. It must be womens intuition?

I asked my doctor and FS about running and jiggerling the cell/baby and they both said that it's fine if it were a problem there would be alot of pregnant animals not moving right now!! I guess I get what they mean!? Lol.

Hi ladies, really enjoyed my run tonight - thanks to this thread I have no doubt. It really helped me work through a few things in my mixed up little head by writing my sorry tale last night! Happy training to you all x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->