Running while pregnant?

aspiringmum

Reaction score
Hey gals,

I am 5wks today and just went for a 30 min run, returned, and am having some cramping similar to AF. I am in shape and normally run 2-4 miles at a time. No bleeding. Could this be an early sign of m/c or just normal pregnancy stuff? I'm totally freaked out!

Hey gals,

I am 5wks today and just went for a 30 min run, returned, and am having some cramping similar to AF. I am in shape and normally run 2-4 miles at a time. No bleeding. Could this be an early sign of m/c or just normal pregnancy stuff? I'm totally freaked out!

I had lots of af cramps and weakness at 4-5 weeks so just took it easy! Perhaps give yourself a break for a couple of weeks and then you can get back into it xx

I had this today after my walk... Did you try ummmm
Passing gas?!? I was extremely gassy afterwards and
that was the problem. I felt a lot better once I figured
it out.

I had this today after my walk... Did you try ummmm
Passing gas?!? I was extremely gassy afterwards and
that was the problem. I felt a lot better once I figured
it out.

Ha! I haven't been particularly gassy since getting back but maybe it's just working its way through...I hope it's something simple like that!

Yeah, this is how I was around that time! Too much movement would cause the cramps to come on more, and like pp said sometimes it was gas. Sometimes it was just the fact that I was easily provoked into being crampy by the slightest things at that time! I think cramping that feels like that is pretty normal early on.

Also on running, women who ran consistently for a while before becoming pregnant can continue to run, but every fitness expert I've heard from says that no matter what, if you're pregnant and you start to feel tired, you need to slow down and rest for about 60 seconds. The reason is that it can be harmful to your baby to get your heart rate up too fast, so if you're running and you feel really tired, you can't just push through it like you normally would when not pregnant. You have to chill out on it for a bit, then you can get back into it :)

The thing is that the cramping could have started anyway if you had stayed at home so it's impossible to tell if it's because of the run ifkwim? I run 4 miles 4 times a week usually and I've found that I'm having good days and bad days. Some days I'm much slower than my usual pace (which is very slow anyway) but feel good, and other days I just feel like crap the whole run.

I've read a lot about this the old advice about keeping you heart rate under 140 etc seems to be outdated now. From what I can see you should just try to maintain fitness/pace/distance, improvements will have to wait until after the baby comes....although I'm finding it hard not to push myself tbh.

Did your cramps ease any?

[had to edit that post 6 times due to poor spelling - i'm so tired!!!)

I think you'll be fine, especially since you were a runner before. I had cramping from 4 weeks pretty consistently. I still have cramping now on and off but when I went to my Dr. at 9 weeks and expressed my concern he said that it could be

1) Uterus growing

2) Constipation

3) Gas

As long as there is no bleeding you should be fine, keep up the good work with the running!

You'll be totally fine. My husband is a personal trainer/Kinesiologist, and has a lot of clients who are worried about this exact thing. It's true that you have to listen to your body, but its also true that if you were used to running before, than its perfectly safe. Just don't over-do it. Drink lots of water, take a slower pace if needed. You may feel a bit crampy which is normal, its your uterus stretching and round ligament pain. Best of luck! You will be fine;) Congrats!

I ran a half marathon when I was a little big pregnant (before I found out) and I've wanted to keep my fitness up because they say labour is a marathon so I guess I'm half way there :p

I've cut down on my mileage but the other day I felt like I was going to topple over because my boobs and tummy felt so big and huge so I had to slow right down. Like everyone has said, just listen to your body. Have the cramps subsided now? I had some cramps when I was in bed this morning which made me really worried but I think it was just gas - so attractive! xx

I am an athlete. My doc told me it's fine to do what I normally do as long as I do NOT feel cramping. If I cramp at all he told me to stop. I can try again but less aggressively so, if you are a runner, try running slower and for a shorter distance. If cramping starts, sit down and take a rest. You also need to closely monitor your heart rate. If it's up and you are breathing heavily you are doing too much. (I have been in my sports most of my life.)

Most likely these activities will not cause a miscarriage. It can 1. break capillaries so you bleed and have to deal with the emotions that go along with bleeding or 2. you can prevent the fetus from getting the oxygen supply that it needs.

Can I just pipe in here and say that working out actually supplies the baby with MORE oxygen. While it's true you need to be careful...too many people associate working out with harming baby. It's actually the opposite. This is my 3rd baby, and have never had any issues with working out. You know your body, and yes you need to monitor your heart rate, but its also ok to be active! I just wouldn't suggest doing crossfit...in my opinion that is WAY overboard!!

I don't know. My ob/gyn works with almost all athletes. His biggest concern is oxygen deficiency.

I'm concerned about this too. I just found out today and i'm running a marathon on Saturday! I've been training for months, so I think i'd be fine, but it does make me a bit nervous.

I'm concerned about this too. I just found out today and i'm running a marathon on Saturday! I've been training for months, so I think i'd be fine, but it does make me a bit nervous.

Oh good luck for that! :thumbup:

Just to add generally the embryo doesn't become a fetus until around 8 weeks or so and doesn't really take anything from you this early either.

Exercise is beneficial in pregnancy and I think most people who have been active at an amateur level will be fine to continue at that level until they no longer enjoy it. If you are an athlete who has been operating at peak fitness, then I guess your training schedule would have to change earlier than most.

I don't know. My ob/gyn works with almost all athletes. His biggest concern is oxygen deficiency.

There is a concern if your heart rate is SUPER high, and you are over doing it. But that's a fine line. Each woman is different. My husband is a kinesiologist/personal trainer, and has worked with athletes for years, and exercise according to him is completely healthy and should be encouraged by doctors, unfortunately a LOT of doctors don't know a lick about exercise...they know medicine, and surgery (which is what an ob/gyn is)...either way, I wouldn't recommend running a marathon at 7 months pregnant (although some women do), or do crossfit. There needs to be a balance where baby's needs come first...it is proven that moderate exercise will increase blood flow and oxygen to baby. Which is a GOOD thing;)

CantHrdlyWait - just listen to your body - slow down if you are tired, take deep breaths and you will be fine. If you need to rest or walk then rest or walk.

Crikey, that didn't long! :happydance::happydance:

Congratulations! It's nice to see a familiar face :)

Good luck for your marathon xx

Crikey, that didn't long! :happydance::happydance:

Congratulations! It's nice to see a familiar face :)

Good luck for your marathon xx

First cycle rachie!!! LOL

I think i'm going to do the race.. A miscarraige would be more likely caused by chromasomal problems, then me running! i will make sure to keep my pace slow enough to carry a conversation and make sure I drink plenty of water. I should be fine!

Squee, I'm so excited :D I don't know if you remember Zaly from WTT but she just got her BFP in the last few days too xx

Squee, I'm so excited :D I don't know if you remember Zaly from WTT but she just got her BFP in the last few days too xx

YEP! So did StrawBerry2 ( think that's what it is) us september gals are lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->