Sacral dimple

bobster

2 perfect boys & 1 gorgeous girl
Reaction score
Anyone else’s babies have a sacral dimple? I didn’t think much of it but have since read it can be an indicator of Spina Bifida so I’m worried now.

Baby healthy otherwise just has infrequent bowel movements. She’s ebf but only goes for a no.2 once every 4-5 days. Now wondering if there’s a link with the sacral dimple.

anyone else in this boat?

Mine both had a small one. My DD even had hair above hers which was a symptom of it but I got her checked out and all was OK. Everything is likely to be OK if nothing has been picked up already :)

Thanks that’s very reassuring to read

Yup my second has a sacral dimple. My first has something a bit different - a 'forked gluteal cleft' (lol - it just means the crease of her bottom has a Y shape at the top). Both are considered mild birth defects.

Sacral dimples should be (and usually are) checked for at birth. The midwife or whoever will shine a light on the baby's bottom/back to see if they can see the base of the dimple - if they can, then no worries. This is what happened with my LO.

I did worry about it though, when she was still small, as it looked so deep. Now she is 2, I can clearly see the bottom of it is covered with skin and it does not open into the spine.

Both my children are absolutely fine, despite their quirky butts ...

If still in doubt, nip her along to the doctor and ask them to check it. They'll be able to tell you very quickly if it needs further investigation.

Also, it's very common for EBF babies to go ages without a BM - as I understand it, breastmilk is so efficiently digested that there is often very little left afterwards and they can go up to 10 days sometimes! It isn't constipation or related to the dimple so don't worry. My first was like this. Complete blowout and absolutely stank when she finally did go!

Last edited:
DD2 had this too . I didn’t know it was called that. I just remember the midwife after birth checking her over and saying she had a dimple and pointed it out . Nothing else was mentioned .

No issues with her she’s a happy healthy 4 year old !

Thank you for these replies. I can’t tell you how reassured I am reading them. She has her post natal check at the gp on Tuesday so I’m going to mention it then anyway but it’s reassuring to hear other people’s experiences. The dimple does look deep but I will see if I can see the bottom of it later on.. I don’t think I will be able to though.. it almost looks like another bum hole!

My youngest has one. They checked hom for spina bifida straight after birth but he is ok thankfully x

Don't worry too much if you can't easily see the bottom - your baby is still young. I couldn't easily see the bottom of my LO's until she was a toddler, but the midwife and a doctor I asked at her 6 week check were sure it was ok.

Always best to ask. :)

P.S. Yup, second bumhole is how I would describe LO's. :haha: Even now when wiping her bum, I do a quick sweep of it to make sure nothing has got stuck in there. :rofl:

Last edited:
My youngest has one. They checked hom for spina bifida straight after birth but he is ok thankfully x
What tests did they do to check? Wonder why they check some but not others? I mentioned it today but he didn’t seem worried. Glad your LO was ok.

What tests did they do to check? Wonder why they check some but not others? I mentioned it today but he didn’t seem worried. Glad your LO was ok.
The consultant came in looked at the simple and it was closed. Felt his spine and sent me home. It's all abit of a blur now as it was 7 years ago x

Don't worry too much if you can't easily see the bottom - your baby is still young. I couldn't easily see the bottom of my LO's until she was a toddler, but the midwife and a doctor I asked at her 6 week check were sure it was ok.

Always best to ask. :)

P.S. Yup, second bumhole is how I would describe LO's. :haha: Even now when wiping her bum, I do a quick sweep of it to make sure nothing has got stuck in there. :rofl:

so reassuring thanks for this! At first I thought it was her bum hole! I keep wiping it too but it can look a bit red sometimes. The dr today looked and said it looks ok... I hope he’s right. I said it looks quite deep to me but he didn’t think it was so I guess I just have to trust him. She’s healthy and thriving otherwise apart from some wind/constipation/tummy troubles

The consultant came in looked at the simple and it was closed. Felt his spine and sent me home. It's all abit of a blur now as it was 7 years ago x
Oh that’s good. Gp felt my girls spine today so hopefully it’s all ok. I read somewhere it it’s over a certain depth they should ultrasound scan it.. but feel reassured to know your kids are all ok

That's great news you've had her checked out and hopefully everything is fine :)

so reassuring thanks for this! At first I thought it was her bum hole! I keep wiping it too but it can look a bit red sometimes. The dr today looked and said it looks ok... I hope he’s right. I said it looks quite deep to me but he didn’t think it was so I guess I just have to trust him. She’s healthy and thriving otherwise apart from some wind/constipation/tummy troubles

I felt the same way (i.e. still worried they might have got it wrong) but looking back on it now, it was just my anxiety. A doctor has seen far more sacral dimples than we have lol - I hadn't ever seen one until my LO had one - so we have to trust their judgment I guess. I believe they are quite common.

One thing I read back then is that if the sacral dimple is sort of in the bum crease then that should provide reassurance, but if it is above the crease/higher on the back then that is more concerning.

I felt the same way (i.e. still worried they might have got it wrong) but looking back on it now, it was just my anxiety. A doctor has seen far more sacral dimples than we have lol - I hadn't ever seen one until my LO had one - so we have to trust their judgment I guess. I believe they are quite common.

One thing I read back then is that if the sacral dimple is sort of in the bum crease then that should provide reassurance, but if it is above the crease/higher on the back then that is more concerning.

you are totally right. I’d never seen/heard of them either so I’m sure the GP will know when it’s abnormal and not. Mine is in the bum crease so that’s good to know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->