Safe bottles?

brownhairedmom

Reaction score
Okay so in Canada at least, I don't know about everywhere else...there was recently a ban put on certain plastic bottles/liners. I'm planning on breast feeding but I'm buying a couple bottles to have around just in case it doesn't work out. Which ones are still okay to buy??

Rae, they've pulled most of the BPA plastic baby stuff off the shelves, but the jury is still out on some other plastics, particularly PVC. I was particularly concerned about that one because most "rubber" mattress protectors for cribs are made with a thick layer of PVC and it off-gasses and is harmful.
In Adria Vasil's book "Ecoholic", she said you are better off going out and buying plastic sheeting and wrapping your crib mattress in that, than having baby exposed to the PVC.
It's all so alarming and totally depressing that we allowed so many products out there without sufficient testing.
Anyway, BPA is the bad stuff for baby.

I actually was just at my OHs sisters house tonight and she had another guest there that had small glass baby bottles! So old fashioned, but I think they would likely be the safest as far as steralizing goes? Just wouldn't want to drop one.. lol

I actually think I may pump and bottle feed... That way my baby will at least get breast milk... I will see, unfortunately I am quite sensitive and sore right now, I cant and havent been able to touch them the whole pregnancy... and my boobs havent even grown really :( I guess there is still time.

I like the look off the glass ones, my friend has dropped them many times and they've never broken :)

https://www.babygrowsafe.com.au/
https://www.natureschild.com.au/products/glass_feeding_bottle/41/1

I'm sure you can these in the states, canada or the uk :)

I bought a few. Most say BPA free now. I have no idea what BPA is, lol.
I think I just got mine at Walmart. They are glass ones. *shrug*

Awesome! Havent really looked around much in wally-mart, but I will have to do that soon I guess, thanks XX

I still need to find somewhere to buy re-usabel diapers.

Yeah ryder I'm looking for reusable diapers too.

Walmart has some but they aren't fitted and don't have velcro either. Just plain flat ones and you need to buy pins. I've been told you can order them through Sears but I have no idea about those. It might be easier to buy them from there instead of a speciality baby store as it might be cheaper

I'm gonna check out those bottles.

I bought a few. Most say BPA free now. I have no idea what BPA is, lol.
I think I just got mine at Walmart. They are glass ones. *shrug*

BPA is Bisphenol-A, and has been linked to all sorts of nasty things, including ADHD, cancers, infertility, and a host of other problems. The banning was controversial as the plastics industry holds firm that there is no conclusive proof of those links, just studies that suggest a correlation.
Like anything that might be floating around in the environment, we have so many possible routes of exposure from so many possible sources, that it is very very hard to say with scientific certainty if BPA is really a cause or just a contributing factor.
Health Canada decided that when it came to babies, the possible risk wasn't acceptable.
I, for one, support that decision.
We can't conclusively prove that the huge spike in breast cancer over the last few decades is related to our vastly increased exposure to environmental pollutants, either, but common sense suggests that pesticides, acid rain, bioaccumulation of persistant organic pollutants, etc probably isn't GOOD for your boobs. I would choose to avoid exposure to those things, if I could.
I think the BPA issue is the tip of the iceberg. There is a long list of questionable chemicals that are found in everyday items and I think we will be hearing more about these in the near future.:(

I am posting an article about PVC and other scary plastics.. The article is definitely eco-biased, but it is something to think about.
https://www.ecomall.com/greenshopping/consumerbaby.htm
Also, the site "Eco-Mall" has about 3 zillion links to eco products for babies, including diapers!
For those of you thinking about cloth diapers (yay for you!), I have seen lots of diaper sets posted on craigslist. The new cloth ones usually have fitted outer pants for leakage, then there is the diaper, then a liner. I don't think anyone was trying to re-sell the lining parts, but the outers, I've seen advertised frequently.
Other clever plans I've heard is to ask for the diaper stuff for the baby shower.
One quick word, though - my girlfriend spent $500 on a full diaper outfit, then found that it really didn't fit her kid well. It might be an idea to use some disposables or a service for the first few weeks, and try a few styles on baby to see which is the best fit and which model you like the best?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->