Salads.... Can you? Can't you??

KelliGal

Trying for #2 with Infertility
Reaction score
Are salads OK to eat during pregnancy? I know the whole bacteria issue, but just wondering how true or strict I need to be on this. I just want a big ol' southwest salad! LOL

I've never been told I couldn't have a salad, and have them regularly. Just rinse the veg :)

What about salads you buy from restaurants? You can't chose how clean they get them... should I avoid those and just do homemade?

I've never been told I couldn't eat salads. But when I am pregnant I do not order them in a restaurant or take out. I don't trust that they wash it all properly. But I always make a lot of salads at home and ate lots when pregnant.

I ate salads from restaurants through both of my pregnancies. I also ate pre-washed greens from the store and didn't always rewash them.

Never ever heard that you should avoid salad while pregnant. You'll be fine!

If anything is just watch the cheese they put in it - aren't we not supposed to have soft cheeses? And I also remember hearing we can't have ceased dressing made from real anchovies

Go for it.
I had problems with aversions though. The hubs brough me a McD southwest chicken salad and I could barely lift the lid without gagging. :( I like salad, too.

I eat salads all the time. I can only eat light meals as morning sickness is really bad. I've ordered them from restaurants and haven't had a problem. I understand that other women are worried about ordering a salad that they can't wash the ingredients themselves though.

The only thing I'm careful about is the dressing. If the restaurant make their own mayonnaise/caesar dressing then they're probably using raw eggs. I always ask before I order.

Apart from that, have at it!

My doc said take what the internet says with a grain of salt. If you're getting food from a reputable place, you're allowed to eat it. I've eaten many salads from restaurants, and even McDonalds, and nothing has hurt me yet.

Raw eggs in dressings are usually pasteurized raw eggs. You can get raw pastuerized eggs from the store.

That's certainly true, but I'd still prefer to ask and be sure than assume and be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->