Same first middle name for both daughters?

BethHx

expecting #2
Reaction score
The name Rose has a very special meaning to me and my family, so much so I would like to use it as a middle name for this daughter too.
Is that weird? Unfair to them and their identity?

Dd is called
Isabelle Rose Iris Smith
I would like to call this daughter
Eliza Rose Lily Smith

Do you think it's ok to use Rose for both as they still have their second middle name?
If we don't use Rose this time she will be
Eliza Lily Blossom Smith

Thanks x

I know people that have used the same middle name, for the reason you have said. I was toying with the idea for a while too, it was Rose too. When I had my eldest my great nan was unwell in hospital, as we knew she wasn't going to get better I used Rose as my daughters middle name to honour her. I would have liked to use it again, as it's my dh's Nan's name, however the more I thought about it, the more it just didn't seem right iykwim.vi do think that each child should have its own identity. By the way I really like Lily Blossom as the middle names :)

We'll my middle name is Rose after my twin sisters that we're born before me but passed away.
Their grave stone reads 'two little Rose buds that blossomed too early and faded to soon'
So izzy has Rose after me and them so I feel this baby should too.
Or we'll use blossom which is also on the grave stone and was my great great grandma nickname.
Such a tough decision!x

We'll my middle name is Rose after my twin sisters that we're born before me but passed away.
Their grave stone reads 'two little Rose buds that blossomed too early and faded to soon'
So izzy has Rose after me and them so I feel this baby should too.
Or we'll use blossom which is also on the grave stone and was my great great grandma nickname.
Such a tough decision!x

My half sister (same dad diff mum) and I have the same middle name.

If this little one is a girl she will have the same middle name too...my daddy passed away last year and Jane is his fave name. My sister and I always hated it! But I feel really strongly that this one should have it! I don't think it's weird for siblings etc to have the same middle name...it joins them together.

I would use Blossom. :). I think it will make her feel more special to have a different name. I'm not a fan of shared names.

I don't like it when people do that lol but what ever floats your boat. I was hoping to pass my middle name, which is also Rose, onto a future daughter but I'm not ever going to be able to do that because I'm having my 3rd boy lol hubby got to pass on his middle name which is also his dads middle name to our 2nd DS but I'd never give new DS the same middle name.

My neices have the same middle name, it think its sweet especially if it has meaning to you

I see nothing wrong with them having the same middle name, however I really like how Blossom is also symbolic/meaningful to you and feel as though you should use this for your DD2. Just my opinion :)
Rose is such a common name lol it's my mn also. Blossom is so unique!

I think it's fine - In fact I see it more as a family name than a middle name after you explained the meaning.

All the oldest boys in my family have Charles as a middle name - no idea why? But it's a tradition that all my brothers kept with their first born sons.

xxxx

I find it really weird to be honest, there must be a million ways you can honor them with out effecting each child's identity

I'm sorry I don't understand how having the same middle name affects their identity? It's not like it's the same first name.

I have the same single middle name as my sister. We've always liked it. We've never had an identity issue as have always been called by our first names. You wouldn't know we shared a middle name unless you asked us!

If this baby is a boy it will have the same first middle name as DS#1, because it's a Japanese family name that is traditionally passed down to boys in the family. I thought about not doing it, but I'm afraid DS#2 might feel left out, seeing as it's SO important to my husband! I feel like it kind of equals them out, and their second middle name will be unique. I tend to think of the first name as a more identity-defining name, and the middle name as more the parent's tradition or something they want to pass on. Maybe I think this only because my middle name is my grandmother's middle name (and it's ugly) but I love it because of its significance! :D

But who really goes by their middle name?

I can see what you're saying that it is part of their identity but if it's a family type name then I can't see how it would negatively affect their identity?

Maybe it's because in my family one brother has my dad's middle name and the other has my dad's family name and my sister and I have the same middle name. My husband has the same first name as his dad and his middle name is, I think, his grandfathers and his brother has the same middle name as his dad. I love things like this - it's family history and a sense of belonging. I actually regret not giving Joshua his dad's name as a middle name (it was hubby's choice) and have considered changing his name to have a second middle name but he's too old to do it now.

It's not that I think it will effect identity i just don't want them to dislike having the same middle name when older so was seeing what the general thought on it was.
They will both be having Rose as I love the meaning it has to me and my family.

But who really goes by their middle name?

:wacko:

err... my son, my dad, my brother, my aunt, my grandfather, 3 of my 5 closest friends at uni... its exceptionally common for people to go by middle names most people just dont notice because its not something that is specified when meeting someone

I also have 7 friends that go by both their first and middle name

the OP asked for opinions yet it seems that really means agree with the masses, I have NEVER like the idea of children sharing the same name as you could see from anyone who asked that question on here, it just seems lazy and uncreative imho when their are millions of great ways you could honor someones memory with out just recycling the exact same again and again and again

what if you go on to have more daughters (you can say you finished but you can never predict the future) are you going to have say 5 little roses running around... it will forever be odd to me :shrug:

other ideas: you could look for variants (long hand, country/language, meaning) or a name is the only way to honor someone you could use their birth month, colours linked to them, place they where born etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->