Same name as distant cousin?

george83

Reaction score
Me and my oh have really struggled to agree on a boys name, we're team yellow so may not even need one but the one name we both like is the same name oh's brother has called his little boy. My oh and his brother are not close at all; he didn't come to our wedding because he just didn't feel like it on the day, in the 9 and a half years me and my oh have been together we've only seen him twice once at their nan's funeral and again at their dads wedding.

If I'm honest them sharing a name doesn't bother me because its so unlikely they would have much contact but more so that the family would think we've copied his brother when tbh I don't even like him that much. Would you change the name or stick with it?

when you said distant I assumed 2nd cousin not 1st which isnt distant (more estranged) so im not sure even if you dont talk the names would be adjacent on a family tree etc...

we like the name Billy for a future son but because it was my grandads name we already have a 2nd cousin (who Ive only ever been in the vicinity of once) called William but that wont stop us and besides he is always William and our child woulds always be Billy (im considering using Wilem instead of William so actually it wont be similar at all)

can you not go for a similar name, example: Alex vs Alec?

Estranged would have been a better word - thank you!

The name we're thinking of is Rhys so we'd struggle to think if one slightly different but it would be spelt different (Rhys/Reece) so would that look better on a family tree? Sorry not throwing questions at you, just thinking out loud I guess

Estranged would have been a better word - thank you!

The name we're thinking of is Rhys so we'd struggle to think if one slightly different but it would be spelt different (Rhys/Reece) so would that look better on a family tree? Sorry not throwing questions at you, just thinking out loud I guess

I think that would look ok on a family tree

at the end of the day it you and your OH that matters, if your worried you could talk to your OH mum about it (as she would probably be the person that links the 2)

if your just looking for other suggestions then there is:

Ryan
Ries
Ros
Ross
Royce
Race
Ry

good luck

I have two cousins with the same name, with both sets of parents being somewhat estranged. I must admit that I do find it a little weird as their parents didn't get along, but if its a name that you love then I would go with it but maybe a different spelling, especially if both boys will also share a last name.

I know 1st cousins with the same name. The parents never see each other due to family issues and it's not a big deal. I think if you love the name, you shouldn't let it stop you.

I think since the spellings are different it's fine. My first cousin took the name I wanted to name my son, but the spelling is strange Jaeden so technically Jayden or something would be acceptable I think. Even though I've now gone off that name

We have a common name in my family...

- Dad
- Dad's 1st cousin
- My 1st cousin
- My brother

Granted, my brother is the Jr of my dad. But my brother and my cousin have different middle names (and different last names, as my cousin is related to us through his mom). They were both called by their first name at family events, and there really wasn't confusion as long as there was context.

DH's third cousin is Stella Macartney, its not like our Stella will ever meet her! LOL

If they won't have contact then go ahead and who cares what anyone else thinks.

I wouldn't worry to much, my first cousin who I grew up with has the same name as me, she's only 3 years younger too. I've never thought anything of it and I was referred to as "big" and she was "little" as to not confuse us. Just seemed normal to us and I've never really thought to ask my parents how they felt at the time?! They've never seemed bothered though! Another first cousin has just been named the same as my brother but there's 18years between them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->