Samuel Finley 29.07.2008

CK Too

Reaction score
Its my third attempt at putting up this birth story - the two times I somehow managed to delete it all - bad case of baby brain at the mo!

Had a docs appt on 28 July, and they made me an appt at the hosp for the next day to see how to proceed with things as I had low amniotic fluid. Then was attached to the ECG machine for my half hourly check, which they have been doing as standard for the past few weeks. I ended up being on it for 2 hours as Sam heartbeat was very erratic. In the end the doctor came back in and told us to go home and get my stuff and go straight to the hosp to be on the safe side.

They decided to admit me (which I was sure they wouldn´t do!) and start inducing me that afternoon. Started off with the gel about 4pm and then I was hooked up to the ECG machine for the next 2 hours for monitoring. By late evening I was 1cm - whoopidoo!!, so sent DH home for some sleep and settled down for the night.

Was awoken the next morning at 6.30am by a popping sensation in my stomach. Went to the loo and saw a little blood, so called the midwife, who said it was a good sign things were on the move. DH arrived shortly after and whilst I was sat on the bed talking to him my waters broke - it wasn´t much at all though. Not long after that when I went to the loo again I noticed I´d lost my mucus plug too. Had another gel inserted about 9am, and as soon as I was let off the ECG machine, we went off for a walk and started climbing stairs etc.

By mid afternoon I had regular contractions, which were starting to get uncomfortable. DH was able to ease things by massaging my back. Had a new midwife by this time, who suggested clearing out my back passage (wasn´t particularly happy about this, but willing to do anything to get things moving!, but believe me if I had seen the size of the rubber tube she used I wouldn´t have agreed to it!!). She put me in the bath as well, which was OK but didn´t really do anything for me. By this time my waters had been broken for ages and I´d got an infection, so had penicillin drip for that. The midwife suggested we do an epidural and a drip to get the contractions going more, as I was getting more and more tired and frustrated as my cervix just wasn´t opening.

It took 3 attempts to get the bloody epidural in!!! All the time I was doing my best to sit still (which was uncomfy to sit) and to try and breathe calmly through the contractions, and also not shit myself as there was a thunderstorm going off at the time, which I hate! Finally the epidural took a hold and I was pain free and singing along to Snow Patrol and Coldplay - even the midwife joined in!! Unfortunately the epidural made my left leg go completely numb, so it was fun and games when it came time to push - DH had to hold it in place for me.

Still Sam finally put in an appearance at 21.26. I had to be cut as he came out, otherwise he could have done more damage, but I didn´t feel a thing, and they´ve stiched me together really well - it all could have been a lot worse. I got a quick cuddle with him, whilst DH cut the cord and then I was sorted out and he was washed and dressed etc - but it all happened in the same room so I could keep an eye on him!!

I didn´t get a room until about 1am - DH was able to stay overnight with us - luckily, as I still couldn´t move around properly as my leg was still numb. The nurses were insistent that I do a wee, but I couldn´t feel my bladder at all!! I was helped to the loo, but fainted and came around to alarm bells ringing!!! All the time I was just thinking, just let me go to bloody sleep!!! Then I got carted off in a wheelchair to have a catheter stuck on, so I could wee - and boy did I wee!!

I spent the next day on strict bed rest - which was daft, cos once I had some sleep I was fine. I had to beg to be allowed to have a shower!! I ended up staying in hospital for another 4 days after the birth. Sam had a bit of jaundice that had to be monitored and lost quiet a bit of weight, so we had to give him extra feeds to pump him up a bit, otherwise we wouldn´t have been allowed home and I was climbing the walls to be let out!!

Still we´re back home now and he´s lovely. He´s slept through from about 11pm to 5am from day one - which on the one hand is nice to get so much sleep at once, but on the other hand not so good as he misses out on a night feed. Since we´ve been home he´s lost some more weight and we´ve established together with the midwife that I´m not producing enough milk for him. Its taken a few frustrating days, but we´ve come to a compromise now and are bottle feeding him during the day and I am expressing morning and night for him, so at least he gets some breastmilk. DH loves being able to feed him though, so it works out for all of us.

Sorry for such a long story, I really hope that the computer does not crash again or I press the wrong button and delete it all. Will try and attach some piccies.

Attachments

• 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 76
Awww great story and GREAT pics! Congrats!

aww fantastic story! Lovely pics too, he is beautiful. xxx

Congratulations! He is beautiful!

ahhhh well done! i love the pic of sam on your chest he looks soo happy and contented

Yeah thats one of my faves of him. He likes to lie on me and tuck his feet up under his bum!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->