Sarahkka's 2012 Book List

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

Another wonderful fantastical story for kids, but this one has a slight twist in that parts of the story are told with lovely sketches. I am keen to read this one to my boys when they are older and keen to check out the film.

The Virgin Cure by Ami McKay

Every time I read a book by Ami McKay I wish I had written it myself. Wonderful storyteller, such interesting settings, and so much great women's history told so honestly and respectfully. This one is set in New York in the 1800s and is the story of a street girl named Moth and her struggle to not just survive, but to lift herself out of the miserable poverty she was born into. Her story is told through her voice and through the voice of a young woman doctor who befriends her. Read this book in one day. Could not put it down. :thumbup:

Nanny Returns by Emma McLaughlin & Nicola Kraus

The sequel to the The Nanny Diaries. Felt a bit formulaic, but still some of the better chick lit out there, I think. The parts that ring the most true are the casual conversations Nan has with the moneyed Park Avenue folks. I speculate that many of those conversations are based on real ones. I know people like that exist, but they still shock me with their selfishness. Anyway, fun read, nothing mindblowing.

Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris

If I wasn't annoyingly curious about what happens next, I would have tossed this series a few books ago. More of the same sloppy shit (and boy do I mean the same - a few parts were so similar to moments in past books that I felt like she plagiarized herself to get her word count in :nope:). So, I would say don't bother, but I know that many people are in the same boat as me - getting fed up with books that get lazier and crappier as the series go on, but still being really curious about what happens to the old Sookster. Sigh. Anyway, the rest is in spoilers for a reason! Don't read it if you haven't read the book already - I give away a lot! :)
So my honest opinion was that this book was kind of the plot equivalent of treading water. A whole lot of nothing happened inside of the usually sloppy, overcomplicated pseudo-mystery that Harris always has churning around in these books. I don't think I have really enjoyed one of these books since about book 9, maybe? Harris feels like she is bored of the series - like she did a pretty cold analysis of the elements she thought made Sookie successful to readers and made up a formula to follow to crank out the last four books. (For example, mixing the mundane life details in beside supernatural events - you can always count on Sookie to tell us about brushing her teeth or shaving her legs or cleaning her kitchen in excruciating detail after she's had a run-in with a vamp or fairy. It may have added a bit of southern homey charm the first few times this conceit was used, but now... yawn. Just another way to fill pages with needless filler that doesn't take us anywhere.)
The whole story of the fae was ridiculous. So after all these plots and threats, the entire thing is solved by Niall magicking all fae out of the world in the blink of an eye? And Claude was evil all this time? Seriously? That plot twist would have received a big fat "F" in a high school writing class. What lazy, amateurish writing. Just reinforcing this sense of Harris being done with the series and wishing it would go away already.
As for the big question: the Happy Ever After character for Sookie....
Eric was pretty much missing from this book. And did absolutely nothing but glower and sulk and be a prick when he was there. Either Harris is trying to make us all dismiss him so we root for boy-next-door Sam (after 11 books of making Eric sexy and fabulous and desirable - good luck with that. From what I read online, most people are Eric fans first, Sookie fans second. They would rather read about the adventures of Eric in Oklahoma than the end of Sookie's story) or she is getting us all mad at him so that there is a more satisfying payoff at the end of the series with a big glorious reconciliation of Eric and Sookie. The problem for me is that I don't find their reason for being apart all that compelling in the first place. It got explained about a thousand times (another sign that it was weak - if you have to defend the plot move that much, if your characters need several conversations trying to convince themselves and the readers that this particular series of events really are plausible... well, maybe you need a better idea?), but I still wasn't convinced that Eric really has all these big barriers between him and happily ever after with Sookie.
Bill is being the consummate southern gentleman - eternally regretful that he done Sookie wrong and determined to use the rest of his afterlife to prove his undying love for her.... yawn. We get it.
So that leaves Sam. Dependable Sam. If Harris really is going to go through with this choice (which she has been setting up for a long time if you look back through the series), then Sookie gets the easiest solution to her dream of a husband and family. And Harris is looking for easy right now. An easy way to end this series. So my money is on Sam. I expect that Bill will make some glorious sacrifice to save Sookie from some other threat. And maybe Eric will come back and make a final play for her, but Sookie is feeling the old ovaries pretty strongly now, so unless Eric can scratch that itch, I don't see them happening.
And I am finding that as these books get more and more formulaic, I care less and less. :shrug:

I read the first 4 or so books in the Sookie Stackhouse series and I did tire of them (as you put it, the same sloppy shit, haha!) I just felt that the books didn't flow very smoothly.

I've heard the books written by Laurel K. Hamilton are good if you like vampires and a more explicit story. I've never read any by her though.

I'm stuck on Water for Elephants at the moment. It's a good book, but I jumped the gun and watched the movie before I finished reading the book, so I've had a hard time picking it back up knowing how the story turns out. Oops.

Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness

This is the second of three books in the All Souls Trilogy. Considering the genre (fantasy supernatural stuff), this writer keeps surprising me with a delightful intellect. She is a smart and educated lady and her novels reflect this. I still feel that the dialogue between the two main players is cliche and contrived, but the rest is a lot of fun. If you are a historical fiction buff, you will probably really appreciate this series. It's quite clever! :)

The Glass House by Jeanette Walls

I just keep discovering amazing women writers this year. Walls is no exception. This is a memoir of an extraordinary childhood. It is hard to sum it up in a paragraph, but it is basically the story of a very unusual family and how they are shaped by extreme poverty. Bu it isn't depressing. Not even the depressing parts! :) It's a triumph of extraordinary minds.
Read it! I would love to have someone to discuss this book with! :)

The Flying Troutmans by Miriam Toews

I decided that I needed to grab some Can. Lit. and this looked interesting. It was. Wonderful dialogue. It is the story of a young woman who comes home to rescue the young teen kids of her mentally ill sister. She decides on the spur of the moment to take them on a road trip across the continent to find their estranged dad. Great writing, interesting characters. I am going to explore more novels by this author.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->