sarsparilla and aniseed (sweets)

t33cup

mum of one and expecting
Reaction score
Im not sure what the ingredients actually are but i love these sarsparilla boiled sweets! But I just googled and apparently sarsparilla is not reccommended for use in pregnancy and breast feeding..I cant find anything in my pregnancy book, but am assuming that its the same with other advice on essential oils/herbs that if there is any content of the actual herb/oil it will be negligable. I cant stop eating them?! i tried to find ingredients for the sweets and on the ones that had a list it just said 'flavourings'. What do you think? x

There is too much information available these days. In Europe there seems to be nothing you can't have when pregnant you just have what you want. The more you tell yourself you can't have them the more you will want them so if its only flavoring I'd just enjoy them but not go mad and eat them by the bucket load lol. Good luck x

i heared something about sarsparilla but cant remeber what (cant remember alot of things at the minute!) but i do know that flavourings contain minimal amount of the actual thing that the flavour is. like vanilla flavouring is the scraps of vanilla pod etc steeped in alcohol to get any remnant flavour out. so i shouldnt think that it would cause too much trouble, just dont over do it until u chat to ur midwife.

sorry for all the spelling mistakes, i cant remember how to spell either! and this whole thing probably makes no sense but its the only thing i could think of that might help lol sorry xxx

makes perfect sense thankyou :) I was reading that some of the essential oils not reccomended are fine when it comes to food stuffs as the amount is very small, I dont know much about sarsparilla and what i can find says both positive and negative things and states clearly that is it is all unproven, probs why its not recomended. I dont want to drink it, not popular in my country dont even know if you can get it. Its just sweets with, i assume, flavourings. I bought one packet about 100grams. but definitely want more if I can be reassured they're so yum!! I know we're not supposed to use peppermint or eucalyptus oils but in foodstuffs, sweets and gum, we're told they're fine, am assuming its like that. I am probably overconcerned

makes perfect sense thankyou :) I was reading that some of the essential oils not reccomended are fine when it comes to food stuffs as the amount is very small, I dont know much about sarsparilla and what i can find says both positive and negative things and states clearly that is it is all unproven, probs why its not recomended. I dont want to drink it, not popular in my country dont even know if you can get it. Its just sweets with, i assume, flavourings. I bought one packet about 100grams. but definitely want more if I can be reassured they're so yum!! I know we're not supposed to use peppermint or eucalyptus oils but in foodstuffs, sweets and gum, we're told they're fine, am assuming its like that. I am probably overconcerned

oops iv been making peppermint creams in ridiculous amounts and eating them as im having a thing for mint at the min, i offered midwife 1 the other week when i went to an app, she didnt say anything about me eating them :shrug: i spose its like everything else, 1 min we can have it 1 min we cant, its silly isnt it lol! xx

i cant imagine it being a problem- its the same thing thats in root beer.

Isn't peppermint a breastfeeding thing? La Leche Leage recommends peppermint and sage to reduce milk supply. Specifically they recommend peppermint tea. Sage in regular food will reduce supply.

I don't remember what the deal is with sarsaparilla, but I have heard that before. Another essential oil to avoid is lavender and it is in everything these days. Lavender mimics estrogen and is especially harmful to boys during pregnancy and after. It's in a lot of baby lotions and bath products. I just avoid essential oils in concentration in general.

I'm sure you'll be fine. If it's not listed on the food to avoid list given by your midwife, there should be no problem!

Isn't peppermint a breastfeeding thing? La Leche Leage recommends peppermint and sage to reduce milk supply. Specifically they recommend peppermint tea. Sage in regular food will reduce supply.

I don't remember what the deal is with sarsaparilla, but I have heard that before. Another essential oil to avoid is lavender and it is in everything these days. Lavender mimics estrogen and is especially harmful to boys during pregnancy and after. It's in a lot of baby lotions and bath products. I just avoid essential oils in concentration in general.

Thanks for the heads up! i shall slow my intake of peppermint and cease eventually! i really want to breastfeed this time after and after DD not being interested in the slightest i dont want anything going against breastfeeding this bubba! xx

Thanks for the heads up! i shall slow my intake of peppermint and cease eventually! i really want to breastfeed this time after and after DD not being interested in the slightest i dont want anything going against breastfeeding this bubba! xx
mm i think its more when youre using it reg in its pure form on your skin and so on, Im pretty sure its okay in foodstuffs and i think with mint oils its more the genral herb thing of them not being regulated like pharmacuticals so noone is allowed to guarantee their safety. slightly different to other oils where they are known to have contradictions. Thats what I was assuming/hoping would be the case with sarsparilla.I quick google said not recommended for use in pregnancy and bf same as most herbs it usually applies to essential oils and pure forms. (although I think to some herbal teas that arent fruit too,noone will clarfy that they are safe lol.) xx

Yes I'm puzzled about liquorice - I love it but I know its not meant to be recommended although ladies on here have been eating the stuff - me included.

I buy the pontefract cakes from Julian Graves, they are mainly treacle and have some liquorice extract in them but I'm sure a few pontefract cakes can't be enough to harm baby!

Moderation is the key I think :)

Han Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"