Scan @6 weeks, shows heartbeat but fetal pole not measuring as it should??

mandy19

Reaction score
Hi ladies, i am about 6 weeks pregnant through IVF, had an early scan a few days ago due to a very small bleed, seen a heartbeat on the scan however the doctor was concerned that the fetal pole was not measuring as big as it should and has arranged another scan for me a week later. This is my first ever pregnancy so its all very new to me and very worrying, would like to hear if anyone has any similar experiences with a good outcome.

Hiya,
I have never had it where the fetal pole wasnt measuring right but I have had 2 losses and I would think the fact that you saw heartbeat as early as 6 weeks as a very good sign. really hope everythin is ok! xx

Early ultrasounds should come with a warning paper-"May not have the results you want." Unfortunately, an early scan can be influenced by a number of things. The skill of the technician, where the baby implanted, the shape of your uterus, the model of ultrasound machine, the radiologist looking that the images, whether or not they did a vaginal scan, etc. Those beans grow SO fast in the first weeks that I was told if I went back the same day, I'd get a totally different set of measurements. The fact that you saw a heartbeat this early is HUGE as the heart doesn't start beating until the end of the 5th week, start of the 6th week. I'd say your doctor needs a lesson in compassion. Hang in there and I'm sure your next ultrasound will show baby has grown by leaps and bounds.

Hiya,
I have never had it where the fetal pole wasnt measuring right but I have had 2 losses and I would think the fact that you saw heartbeat as early as 6 weeks as a very good sign. really hope everythin is ok! xx

Thanks for your reply x

Early ultrasounds should come with a warning paper-"May not have the results you want." Unfortunately, an early scan can be influenced by a number of things. The skill of the technician, where the baby implanted, the shape of your uterus, the model of ultrasound machine, the radiologist looking that the images, whether or not they did a vaginal scan, etc. Those beans grow SO fast in the first weeks that I was told if I went back the same day, I'd get a totally different set of measurements. The fact that you saw a heartbeat this early is HUGE as the heart doesn't start beating until the end of the 5th week, start of the 6th week. I'd say your doctor needs a lesson in compassion. Hang in there and I'm sure your next ultrasound will show baby has grown by leaps and bounds.

Thanks so much this is very reassuring to me!!

In both my successful pregnancies the fp measured behind at 6w but the sac was measuring fine. No idea why! Still slightly behind at 8w, exactly right at 10w then 5 days ahead by 12-13w lol!

Thanks for taking the time to reply ladies.

All of my babies have started out on the small side, but they have all caught up for the "12 week" scan. At that point, my third (current) baby measured bang on dates, and my first two measured large! Don't let it stress you out. In those early days, an itty bitty little shadow or movement or just blur on the screen will distort the dates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->