Scan at 8+2. Baby perfect size, yolk sac getting smaller. Any hope?

squirrel.

Happy mummy of three
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I had a second reassurance scan today though the recurrent miscarriage service at my hospital. I was delighted to see my baby had grown and was now measuring a day ahead. It's heartbeat was strong and it looked great.

The sonographer was happy with what she saw and sent me off to wait for my report. I was on cloud nine. Unfortunately, I then got called in by the nurse to discuss the report of the scan. She also seemed happy, but I noticed in the scales section, where they show CRL, gestational sac and yolk sac sizes on scales to indicate normal variation, that the yolk sac was waaaaay off the scale on the small end. I asked her about it and she said if they didn't mention anything abnormal in the scan then I should ignore the scales.

I can't do that though :( I've lost too many and I'm too scared. I never even thought to worry about yolk sacs.

I had a scan at 6 weeks where the yolk sac was normal sized - a tiny bit bigger than gestational sac. The thing is, it's since shrunk. It was 4mm at 6 weeks and now only 3.2mm.

I'm now terrified this isn't a viable pregnancy. Is this indicative of other issues with my baby?

The only hope I'm clutching too is that it was an abdominal scan and maybe it was harder to get accurate measurements? She really didn't seem worried about anything, so I know I should just trust them, but it shouldn't be getting smaller, not till 10 weeks. I have another scan at 10 weeks, but I am so scared, I'm thinking of getting a private scan this weekend just to confirm the size of the yolk sac.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

The yolk sac will eventually disappear and the placenta will take over. I wouldn't worry about it. With my first, the yolk sac was visibly smaller at my 8 week ultrasound as compared to my 6 week ultrasound.

For my 7 week ultrasound this time, the yolk sac supposedly measured 5.8mm although I question the accuracy of that because a resident who had no idea what she was doing did it. The supervising doctor kept yelling at her. At 8 weeks, it was 4.2mm.

I've read other posts where sizes changed between abdominal and transvaginal scans, so I wouldn't worry too much. Plus there's an element of human error. Things are so small that the sonographer clicking in a slightly different place (at the edge of the sac line to the inner edge of the sac line for example) is going to give different sizes.

Hi ladies,

I had a second reassurance scan today though the recurrent miscarriage service at my hospital. I was delighted to see my baby had grown and was now measuring a day ahead. It's heartbeat was strong and it looked great.

The sonographer was happy with what she saw and sent me off to wait for my report. I was on cloud nine. Unfortunately, I then got called in by the nurse to discuss the report of the scan. She also seemed happy, but I noticed in the scales section, where they show CRL, gestational sac and yolk sac sizes on scales to indicate normal variation, that the yolk sac was waaaaay off the scale on the small end. I asked her about it and she said if they didn't mention anything abnormal in the scan then I should ignore the scales.

I can't do that though :( I've lost too many and I'm too scared. I never even thought to worry about yolk sacs.

I had a scan at 6 weeks where the yolk sac was normal sized - a tiny bit bigger than gestational sac. The thing is, it's since shrunk. It was 4mm at 6 weeks and now only 3.2mm.

I'm now terrified this isn't a viable pregnancy. Is this indicative of other issues with my baby?

The only hope I'm clutching too is that it was an abdominal scan and maybe it was harder to get accurate measurements? She really didn't seem worried about anything, so I know I should just trust them, but it shouldn't be getting smaller, not till 10 weeks. I have another scan at 10 weeks, but I am so scared, I'm thinking of getting a private scan this weekend just to confirm the size of the yolk sac.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

Im confused when you say the yolk sac was bigger than the gestational sac?

As pp suggested, the yolk does eventually shrink away as the placenta takes over and te measurements on something so small are not very accurate anyways

Agree with the others, the yolk sac is eventually fully absorbed by the fetus and then the placenta takes over. I had a blighted ovum once and they told me that they were concerned because the yolk sac was enlarged. I would say a shrinking yolk sac would be a good thing.

O hun, isn't that supposed to happen? And as others have said, it is almost impossible to measure something THAT small correctly.
If your doctors aren't worried, you shouldn't be either. Here they don't even look at things like that, honestly.
You have a healthy baby, with a healthy strong heartbeat.. and baby is growing. Everything is going well <3

I second everyone else there's always human error measuring such tiny things AND my yolk sac was shrinking by my first 8w prenatal. It was so tiny compared to the giant thing at 5 and 6 weeks. My gyn said it's supposed to start shrinking after 7/8 weeks because your placenta is taking over/has taken over. I know it's hard not to worry, but everything sounds right on track. :hugs:

Here you are! Got worried about you. Sounds completely normal too and I second what the other ladies said! If your baby is already measuring ahead it looks like things are progressing and developing faster so no wonder the yolk sac shrunk a little. Also my due date has changed often with both kids cause the measurements are always so off.

I can completely understand your fears. I think this baby is sticky though <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->