scan question for irish ladies pls!!

due3may12

Reaction score
hey ladies! just wondering did everyone have a huge gap between first and second scan?? i had first scan on october 24th and dont have next scan until feb 13th?? why such a big gap?? would appreciate all answers! :) xx:winkwink:

hiya, not in Ireland, but from Ireland and sister and cousins had their babies there! It's different to the UK, over here you get a scan at 12 weeks and at 20/21 weeks, the 20/21 weeks is called the "anomaly scan". That's all you get.

In Ireland you get the 12 week (normally around 14 weeks though I think) and then a 30/31 week one, which they call a "growth scan", which is essentially the same as the anomaly scan. The reason there's such a big gap is that the HSE are tight basically!! my cousin was sent for a scan at 9 weeks as she had some pain. She turned up for her 12 week scan and was told that she wasn't going to get one as she'd already had a scan and you only get 2!

I got one at 14 weeks nd have my next one in Dec at 22 weeks....the consultant done a very quick one when I met her tho!

ah for god sake! really considering the 3d scan now to find out sooner what im havin! can't believe we only get 2 scans though! even my gp was shocked its such a gap! :(

My sis went private on both of her kids and so she had a scan pretty much every time she saw the consultant, but most people don't see a consultant without paying for it unless needed!! public patients get jack all, although I do think that even though you can pay thousands, if your consultant isn't on call he/she won't be there when babby is born!!

Sorry, I went private after a terrible public hospital experience with first pregnancy (mc), so I get loads of scans; however, private scans aren't that expensive, if you want one -- I am VERY surprised that you don't have a 20wk anomaly scan as I thought the 12wk NT and 20wk were the usual ones -- ring your public hospital to double-check...(my GP got me in early for a scan at 8 wk due to previous problems...., so your own GP may be able to help you)!

best wishes

Hiya!
i'm attending the Rotunda as a public patient:happydance:
The standard is a scan at your 12/13 week booking appt followed by another between 20-22 wks (anomaly scan).
I've had a few extra scans ( cos this pregnancy an IUI one) I had a scan at 5w5d for abdo pains in emergency room, one at 7wks in the HARI unit and one at 13weeks for a slight bleed. I'm booked for another scan at 34 weeks cos i have a low lying placenta.(Luckily little bubs is doing really well:thumbup:)
There was definately no issue about resources or being 'allowed' a set number of scans. The Rotunda have been brilliant and so far have done everything to keep my mind at ease!!:dohh:

Hey hun :)Im also attending the Rotunda Public {I love them :)}We had our scedualed scan at 11 weeks and our next scan is Dec 1st when were 20 weeks.

We have had 3 scans so far only due to bieng "High Risk" because our previous C~Section,our early loss and all of our fertility treatments.

Hope this helps hun and Good Luck :)Any chance you could get a private scan??Ive heard that you can get a 3~D one in Swords for 95 Euro!!!!!

I'm attending Holles St, and the only offical scan there (semi private) is the 20 week scan. I did a private 12 week scan before going public. If it's deemed necessary, they also do a second scan at 34 weeks (I had this last time for a low placenta) and will do scans as needed if a reason presents itself. Also I know my consultant will do a quick ultrasound check at each appointment.

I had my first scan at 14weeks and the second will be at 31!!

Agree with mrsrof...the HSE are tight feckers!!

I had to pay for a private gender scan!

hi ya i had a scan at 7 weeks was told it would be at least 14 weeks before i got another one, i went private so have a scan every 8 weeks and every 4 as due date gets closer , but my friend had her first scan at 21 weeks and wont have another till she is 33 weeks !!!!

thank you all ladies! think im gonna get private 3d scan and ask doc do i get a 20 week scan? im in ballinasloe hospital! :( heard good and bad things about there so hopin ill have a good experience! xx

Your scan at 22 weeks is probably your anomoly scan (your '20 week' scan) it doesn't need to be exactly at 20 weeks. Based on your ticker, you probably hit 20 weeks on Christmas week, and I doubt they have much scheduled for that week.

Personally, I think 2 scans are fine for a normal, incident free pregnancy.

thank you all ladies! think im gonna get private 3d scan and ask doc do i get a 20 week scan? im in ballinasloe hospital! :( heard good and bad things about there so hopin ill have a good experience! xx

My cousin had her second baby in ballinasloe I think, and she really liked them in there. She had intended on having her first in there too, but he came a couple of weeks early and ended up being a Limerick boy as she was visiting her parents at the time!! (oh, different cousin to the one who was refused her scan at 14 weeks!!)

i know mullingar only do one scan between 12-16 weeks that is it, I am at the coombe this time and get a scan every appointment, i am hospital care only tho, i dont do combined care.

I am in Drogheda Hospital and I have been told that I only get one scan unless they think that there is something wrong, so the scan I got at my first appointment around the 13 week mark is the only scan I will get!!!

I thought this was awful, I really think you should get another scan around or after the 20 week mark, will defo be going to get a private scan.

I am in Drogheda Hospital and I have been told that I only get one scan unless they think that there is something wrong, so the scan I got at my first appointment around the 13 week mark is the only scan I will get!!!

I thought this was awful, I really think you should get another scan around or after the 20 week mark, will defo be going to get a private scan.

I'm also in Drogheda.
I had to attend the EPAU due to bleeding. So had 2 scans there but could see feck all!
I had my scan at 11w+6, which was a 5min job! Then because I have a low-lying placenta I'm in at 36wks for another scan.

Now I go have an app at the hosp at 24wks but dunno if I'll be scanned or not? Its a bloody joke. So much for free maternity care when ya've to go and pay for a second scan just to keep your mind at ease. Especially when its your first baby and youve no idea what to expect. :growlmad

i think the midlands hospitals are all similar. i requested to have another scan with my last and they said no if the first is fine then you do not need any more.!!!

Hi ladies, i'm a nurse not a midwife but i have to admit i'm quite shocked at the discrepancies between hospital policies on this accross the country!!! How can the HSE cut back on this kinda thing in some hospitals??...i mean if a problem is not spotted in pregnancy a child could be born with problems, or the mom have problems which will ultimately cost alot more (millions if it went to court!!)than a 3 min scan with equipment bought and paid for and just sitting there while ur with the midwife/dr!!!
i was so surprised my friend, also a nurse, had only one scan in Drogheda at 12 weeks on both her pregnancies, last yr and this. Now at 12 weeks all you can see is a heartbeat and basic structures (limbs, skull and spine).
The 20/22 week scan i got in the Rotunda as a public patient was excellent and shows abdo organs and diaphragm, heart functioning (like an echocardiograph from what i saw on mine), even checked for cleft lip and palette. I might get a private 3d just for fun but i really do feel the Rotunda have done a top job so far! I know its not posh but feck it i don't care as long as my bubs comes home safe with me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->